URM Pre-Med help with admissions please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vegeta1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a current senior at a top university in the US. I will be graduating from biomedical engineering from one of the top programs with an expected GPA of 2.7.

I received gpas of less than 2.0 my first year which brought down my overall and unmotivated me for a bit. This was due to financial problems, as well as being away from home (depression).

I have won a few awards in college for engineering competitions, so I feel like I am capable of doing well in medical school.

If I do a post-bacc and a masters, as well as doing well in the MCAT, do you guys feel like I would at least get an interview? I want to go to a top medical school (top 10) so that I can do medical research as well.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Crank that GPA up to 3.2+ in cumulative and science.

What do your ECs look like?

I would say that top 10 is far reaching given what you’ve shared with us, but the fact that you are URM may help. Others can comment on that since I’m not as familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have won a few awards in college for engineering competitions, so I feel like I am capable of doing well in medical school.
You may feel that way, but you have to prove to Adcoms by showing good academic performance.

If I do a post-bacc and a masters, as well as doing well in the MCAT, do you guys feel like I would at least get an interview?
Yes.

I want to go to a top medical school (top 10) so that I can do medical research as well.
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. You can do research at a lot of med schools, even mine.

Hello, thanks for the replies.
@Forever Geebs : I am a senior who will be graduating this semester, so I can't increase my GPA.

A bit more about myself:
I am a 1st generation URM college student (parents only graduated middle school) who attends a top 30 engineering school, majoring in biomedical engineering and minoring in philosophy. I come from a small city in the west and a relatively bad high school (compared to my peers at undergrad). Most student at my high school don't go to college, or they go to CC. This definitly under prepared me for a tough engineering undergrad.
I am active in various community service clubs, as well as a leader in a sports club and an academic club (cofounder) on campus. I have done research in a medical research center (top 25) for 1 year (no published papers). I have also done some entrepreneurial things and obtained a $3,000 grant from the NSF.
I have had a job in college since freshman year to help pay for college. I have also volunteered at a hospital since junior year of high school (5 years now).
I have been thinking about applying to industry in the engineering field while doing part-time research at a local uni, work for 2 years to prove myself and pay for my loans, then apply to a masters program (obtain high GRE) and do really well, then obtain a high MCAT score and apply to Med school. This would take approximately 3 years after graduation.
Is this feasible, or would medical schools not even look at my application due to low undergrad GPA.