URM school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peaceloveandmedicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA: 3.5 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA (my school uses a +/- system so it’ll probably go up a bit in the Texas system I have a lot of A-s)

MCAT: taking it May I’ve been scoring around a 511

State: TX

Demographics: Black woman

Undergrad: Top 50 state school

Masters: MPH same as undergrad institution 3.9

Clinical volunteering: None

Clinical Paid: 300 hours local hospital patient care technician (our hospital uses us cna equivalents); 120 clinical research position where I help do MRIs on patients

Non-clinical volunteering: 120 hours food kitchen abroad, 50 hours mentoring/ tutoring underserved youth

Shadowing: 50 hours split between peds and anesthesiology

Research: 1,300 hours developmental cognitive psychology lab for infants. I mostly have been working on my own project in the last two years. I have an international poster presentation, an oral presentation (awards for both), two fellowships through this lab, currently writing a thesis for said project (could possibly be published but not really gunning for that)
400 hours data collection and data entry on a maternal and child health/development lab
Upcoming: Epi public health lab where I’ll be looking at racial disparities and birth outcomes

Leadership: VP of minority premed club (1 year), TA for Ochem/ gen chem (2 years), project leader in my lab (1 year)

Other: Upcoming community health internship this summer, past SHPEP participant

Hobbies: Weight lifting, musical theatre

I am not attached to staying in Texas. I would just prefer to go to a school that has a community health focus. Any school list help would be great!
@Faha @Goro @LizzyM

(Any comments about MPHs being useless for getting into medical school are not needed)

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA and sGPA: 3.5 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA (my school uses a +/- system so it’ll probably go up a bit in the Texas system I have a lot of A-s)

MCAT: taking it May I’ve been scoring around a 511
State: TX
Demographics: Black woman
Undergrad: Top 50 state school
Masters: MPH same as undergrad institution 3.9

Clinical volunteering: None
Clinical Paid: 300 hours local hospital patient care technician (our hospital uses us cna equivalents); 120 clinical research position where I help do MRIs on patients
Non-clinical volunteering: 120 hours food kitchen abroad, 50 hours mentoring/ tutoring underserved youth
Shadowing: 50 hours split between peds and anesthesiology

Research: 1,300 hours developmental cognitive psychology lab for infants. I mostly have been working on my own project in the last two years. I have an international poster presentation, an oral presentation (awards for both), two fellowships through this lab, currently writing a thesis for said project (could possibly be published but not really gunning for that)
400 hours data collection and data entry on a maternal and child health/development lab
Upcoming: Epi public health lab where I’ll be looking at racial disparities and birth outcomes

Leadership: VP of minority premed club (1 year), TA for Ochem/ gen chem (2 years), project leader in my lab (1 year)

Other: Upcoming community health internship this summer, past SHPEP participant

Hobbies: Weight lifting, musical theatre

I am not attached to staying in Texas. I would just prefer to go to a school that has a community health focus. Any school list help would be great!
@Faha @Goro @LizzyM

(Any comments about MPHs being useless for getting into medical school are not needed)
Considering the current COVID-19 circumstances, those negative comments about MPH don't need to be hashed, though in terms of MD admissions, it is still considered a locked mindset of many reviewers among faculty. Maybe that will change.

As it stands, no bets until you report an official MCAT result. Practice test results become fish stories about scores you should have gotten.

If you aren't enamored of staying in Texas, then you have to network with schools where you do want to attend. The fact is that most TX options will be cheaper than any OOS option you get. The history of most admissions directors/deans is that Texas applicants tend to stay in Texas unless there are extraordinary circumstances. You need to reach out to ask about how possible it is for you to make that jump out of state and really apply based on mission. I would suspect then that all HBCU-affiliated medical schools should be in play, and all your SHPEP connections (including reaching out to SHPEP programs that you are not affiliated in) should be utilized fully.

Reactions: 1 user