uro vs. ortho...again.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooze

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know this has been discussed on several threads but i was wondering if anyone has any new insight/thoughts on the comparisons and differences between these two fields. it seems that a lot of current uro residents had thought about ortho at some point...is that true?? anyone had to decide between these two and willing to give reasons why you chose what you did? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

They are actually pretty different. In particular the type of surgery and pathology is vastly different. What is it about these two that interests you?

Common:
Surgical
Known for good personality people
High paying
Difficult match
Difficult residency

Ortho:
Lots of overnight call, trauma
Mostly hospital based
Musculoskeletal path

Uro:
Less call as an attending
Many office based procedures, endoscopy
Wide array of path
Mix of clinical medicine and surgical care
Deals with urogenital system

cpant...thanks for the post. very valid and good points. I think for me i'm trying to decide between the two and am really torn. I did electives in both and seem to enjoy both equally and can see myself doing either one...hence the issue i'm having. i'm sure others have had the same decision to make...I guess i'd like to know more about the future prospects of both fields in terms of supply/demand, reimbursements, etc...also, although i agree that ortho def. has more overnight call/trauma, it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. many pple have told me that private practice orthopods can choose to not be on call that much or to take call at a place where there isn't much trauma and thus their call isn't too bad...i don't know, i'm basically very undecided and want to make the right choice for me and the rest of my career (although i'm sure neither will be a wrong choice)

also, how do both fields compare in terms of competitiveness for matching? thanks for any insight/advice/opinions.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahah...i know it looks odd. but i'm actually using my bro's account who is a dentist to post these threads. guess i'm too lazy to make a whole new account...maybe i should rethink a surgical subspecialty, huh? no but i'm serious with my questions as I am currently a medical student.

cpant...thanks for the post. very valid and good points. I think for me i'm trying to decide between the two and am really torn. I did electives in both and seem to enjoy both equally and can see myself doing either one...hence the issue i'm having. i'm sure others have had the same decision to make...I guess i'd like to know more about the future prospects of both fields in terms of supply/demand, reimbursements, etc...also, although i agree that ortho def. has more overnight call/trauma, it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. many pple have told me that private practice orthopods can choose to not be on call that much or to take call at a place where there isn't much trauma and thus their call isn't too bad...i don't know, i'm basically very undecided and want to make the right choice for me and the rest of my career (although i'm sure neither will be a wrong choice)

also, how do both fields compare in terms of competitiveness for matching? thanks for any insight/advice/opinions.

One of them may be the wrong choice, or at least a worse choice. You have to spend some time thinking about what is important to you in terms of career focus, lifestyle, options, etc.

The future career prospects are bright for both fields. There will be high demand and short supply for both urologists and orthopedists for the foreseeable future. In terms of competitiveness, both are highly competitive and difficult to match into. You will need to be a strong applicant--good grades, board scores, some research experience, strong performance in away rotations--to have success in either match.