This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I was curious how I should input a particular activity/set of activities:

1) I am a medical laboratory technician at a urology clinic
2) I am the only lab tech, so I also hold the title of Lab manager and duties (validating lots, Quality Control continuity, proficiency testing, "Small team healthcare leadership" ie. working with Medical Assistants to monitor their work and implement policies etc) As well as cost analysis of implementation of bringing additional testing (urine micro) in house (decreased turnaround time, how is billing affected etc.)
3) I also have in excess of 350+ hours of shadowing for the same clinic I work at (Particularly our urological oncologist) having shadowed many patients from initial cancer diagnosis through the OR for their laparoscopic prostatectomy (in addition to vasectomies, BCG etc) - I know not to talk about a whole lot of specifics in this department, mostly just use the word 'cancer' and 'surgery'
4) I have also done internal research for our clinic. It was not published anywhere except a report internally, but things such as an internal review of 500+ patient's PSA results correlated to the strength of their tumors, checking/verifying rates of cancer relapse post prostatectomy etc.

My primary questions are:
a) should these all be under one work/activity section (or how should I group them...)
b) does number 4 count as clinical research being that it was all internal and I was merely conducting meta analysis (Checking every patient's chart for a year for several metrics and putting in to spreadsheets for internal use)?

Yes, I have far more shadowing than just urology, I have other work experience, and I have additional research experience.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I am a medical laboratory technician at a urology clinic
2) I am the only lab tech, so I also hold the title of Lab manager and duties (validating lots, Quality Control continuity, proficiency testing, "Small team healthcare leadership" ie. working with Medical Assistants to monitor their work and implement policies etc) As well as cost analysis of implementation of bringing additional testing (urine micro) in house (decreased turnaround time, how is billing affected etc.)
Plain and simple, this is employment. You can list your job duties. You can check the box that this was "most meaningful" and get an extra text box to add more details.
3) I also have in excess of 350+ hours of shadowing for the same clinic I work at (Particularly our urological oncologist) having shadowed many patients from initial cancer diagnosis through the OR for their laparoscopic prostatectomy (in addition to vasectomies, BCG etc) - I know not to talk about a whole lot of specifics in this department, mostly just use the word 'cancer' and 'surgery'
Straight up, this is shadowing. There is a category for that on the application and it would be good to list this separately given that some adcom members will be looking for it and not having to search in a wall of text will make them happy.
4) I have also done internal research for our clinic. It was not published anywhere except a report internally, but things such as an internal review of 500+ patient's PSA results correlated to the strength of their tumors, checking/verifying rates of cancer relapse post prostatectomy etc.
This seems like scholarly activity and you could put it on the application as "research". It appears to be testing the hypothesis that PSA scores correlate with tumor aggressiveness and increased likelihood of relapse. That it wasn't published doesn't matter. You did the scholarly work to help answer the question.

So, rather than lump these together, I'd suggest dividing them into employment, shadowing and research. Congrats! Great Experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
Plain and simple, this is employment. You can list your job duties. You can check the box that this was "most meaningful" and get an extra text box to add more details.

Straight up, this is shadowing. There is a category for that on the application and it would be good to list this separately given that some adcom members will be looking for it and not having to search in a wall of text will make them happy.

This seems like scholarly activity and you could put it on the application as "research". It appears to be testing the hypothesis that PSA scores correlate with tumor aggressiveness and increased likelihood of relapse. That it wasn't published doesn't matter. You did the scholarly work to help answer the question.

So, rather than lump these together, I'd suggest dividing them into employment, shadowing and research. Congrats! Great Experiences.
Thank you very much! I will definitely follow this advice. Is it alright to use the same contact information for all 3 (Most likely the physician I have shadowed or the Practice Administrator)