Urrrrgh ...single?

Ruralsurg, I had assumed you weren't actively looking while you were there.

At the major city? No, I hadn't. In fact, I didn't really look at all, outside of checking out some nurses at my hospital, which is in the suburbs. I never went into the city (traffic was a beeyotch and parking was a double beeyotch).

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it's why I have a lot of difficulty. For example, I know SunsFun asked if I was religious and the problem is I'm really not, although because I am politically conservative many of my values are in alignment with Christian people. But, for example, when people say "go on ChristianMingle" or "find someone in a church," that's not an avenue available to me. I don't feel personally that it would be fair to the women to portray myself as a devout Christian when I'm not one, nor do I feel right about randomly trolling a church to see if I can catch a woman. But on the other hand, there are websites that everyone has talked about, like OK Cupid or Plenty of Fish, which are popular but seem geared towards "hookups" and (a) that's not what I'm interested in and (b) I'm not interested in any woman who would do that, either. (Let's skip the debate about whether that's "normal" behavior for now, OK, guys?) Similarly, I'm not Indian and so I can't be "arranged" into a marriage (nor would I want that). I'll expound on this further, perhaps tomorrow, but I'm actually going to head into the college town now for a Meet Up, so I'll catch you guys later (and let you know if it was any good).
Since you mentioned Indian, you can probably find a good Indian girl without being "arranged" with one. If you are at all attracted to Desi women you should try www.shaadi.com. The fact that you're a surgeon will give you a huge boost and I think if you honestly tell your story and what you want in women, you will generate interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you mentioned Indian, you can probably find a good Indian girl without being "arranged" with one. If you are at all attracted to Desi women you should try www.shaadi.com. The fact that you're a surgeon will give you a huge boost and I think if you honestly tell your story and what you want in women, you will generate interest.
I like how you can create a profile for someone else on that site...o_O

I'm not really attracted to Indians. My roommate was an Indian guy and I actually have several good Indian guy friends, but I'm not terribly attracted to Indian women. I'm not NOT attracted to them, either, it's just that I'm generally sort of ambivalent to them. The ones that I've met that are attractive tend to have very materialistic and superficial personalities (as even Indian guys will attest to). I don't have any specific attraction to any one group, although if you pressed me on it, I'd probably say I liked Jewish women (although, that's not entirely true since I only find a certain look to be attractive). The problem is that a lot of Jewish women are a little psycho (and I've been told that by Jewish guys, too), but like that woman in the TED Talks (who I am not at all attracted to), they tend to be well-educated and intelligent, which I like. I've actually in the past created a profile on JDate, but since I'm not Jewish, I don't think anyone is really interested. After all, most Jewish people are on there to meet Jewish people, much like people on ChristianMingle aren't on there to meet non-Christians. (By the way, if anyone is weirded out that a non-Jewish guy would be attracted to Jewish women, I apologize since this wasn't intended to offend or outrage anyone, such as any Jewish people who feel I shouldn't be targeting their women or anything.)

So that Meetup I went to was OK. They did a photo scavenger hunt and, honestly, it was sort of entertaining to begin with but became sort of tedious by the end. There were a couple of attractive girls and I was able to talk a bit to one of them, but I got put in a group apart from all of them. At the least, I got to go around the college town, so that was OK. Maybe if any of them are at any other meetings I go to, I'll try further. :) I'll see if I can roust up some photos of them.

Was that sent to you? :joyful:

Yes, yes it was.

I like a nice Jewish boy myself. So no, I don't find that proclivity to be odd.

I know a nice Jewish girl who would probably fit your specs, but she lives in Manhattan.

I'm sad that I'm on my phone and can't see the "beaver"

I just see the text ";beaver;"

Hey, you can't tease me with a statement that you might know someone I might like and then end it there. DO YOU WANT FIVE ACROSS THE EYES??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, you can't tease me with a statement that you might know someone I might like and then end it there. DO YOU WANT FIVE ACROSS THE EYES??

She's not geographically relevant for you!

She's not geographically relevant for you!

Well, I don't personally mind the geography. If she does (or would, I mean), then that would be fair. However, what's wrong with showing me a picture of someone whose name I don't even know? There's like several million Jewish people in Manhattan and there's literally a zero percent chance I'll be able to figure out who she is. If it's because you're in the photo, just crop yourself out or put a huge black box over your head. Chances are I'll just tell you I don't find her attractive because, as I said, I'm not attracted to all Jewish women.

Won't let me send a pic via PM.

Last edited:
Not attracted to #1. #3 is cute but not my type. She's too skinny (bet you never thought you'd hear a guy say that, lol). But thanks for showing me. :) YUR A TRUE PAL. :)

Actually, I take that back, I guess I'd sorta be interested in #3. Is she the high-maintenance one?

Not attracted to #1. #3 is cute but not my type. She's too skinny (bet you never thought you'd hear a guy say that, lol). But thanks for showing me. :) YUR A TRUE PAL. :)

Actually, I take that back, I guess I'd sorta be interested in #3. Is she the high-maintenance one?

They're both high-maintenance, 3>1.

But yes, I've heard too skinny in regards to that one before.

And don't worry, we made sure to tag #njacsboobs in that.

You got some high standards there buddy. 3rd one is definitely doable especially in your situation. She doesn't even look Jewish to me, which maybe why I think she is pretty.

I can't tell you how I knew this, but I was fairly certain #3 was high-maintenance. :D Is she a nice person?

Yes, but can be pretty negative. Like never happy.

#1 was who I was originally thinking of, but didn't have any pics of just her on this phone.

You got some high standards there buddy. 3rd one is definitely doable especially in your situation. She doesn't even look Jewish to me, which maybe why I think she is pretty.

She looks vaguely Jewish, but, yeah, it's not like if I saw her randomly on the street that I would guess that was her heritage. And I said she was cute, so I don't know why you think I'm busting on her. It's true that she's too skinny, though. By the way, my situation doesn't really affect my concept of what is attractive.

Yes, but can be pretty negative. Like never happy.

#1 was who I was originally thinking of, but didn't have any pics of just her on this phone.

Oh, uh ....I'm not really attracted to #1. :p

Hmmm ...yeah, I don't know how I feel about "never happy." I'm a pessimist myself, so that could either be OK or a total disaster. She looking for a relationship? :pirate:

Oh, uh ....I'm not really attracted to #1. :p

Hmmm ...yeah, I don't know how I feel about "never happy." I'm a pessimist myself, so that could either be OK or a total disaster. She looking for a relationship? :pirate:

I think she always says she is, but no one ever meets the standards. I'm not as close to her as I am the other one ;)

I don't see either of them being interested in anything long distance.

I think she always says she is, but no one ever meets the standards. I'm not as close to her as I am the other one ;)

I don't see either of them being interested in anything long distance.

Oh well. I guess that's sorta like me. Even though I'm obviously looking I keep on shooting down women before I even know them. :D So it's understandable.

Oh well. I guess that's sorta like me. Even though I'm obviously looking I keep on shooting down women before I even know them. :D So it's understandable.

As long as you acknowledge that your standards may not get met, and accept that that person May not exist.

That's basically what I've done. Now, I go on lots of dates hoping to be proven wrong, but the baseline ideal is still there.

As long as you acknowledge that your standards may not get met, and accept that that person May not exist.

I already met the perfect person in medical school, but she was dating someone else. That's part of the problem. I always compare women to her and they fall short. People tell me (and they're probably right) that I'm just idealizing her, but I can't help doing it.

I already met the perfect person in medical school, but she was dating someone else. That's part of the problem. I always compare women to her and they fall short. People tell me (and they're probably right) that I'm just idealizing her, but I can't help doing it.

You probably are.

Do you know where she ended up? Could you find her on Facebook?

I dated what basically amounted to my idea of the perfect man earlier this year. Even down to the living 3 blocks from me. That just doesn't happen in LA.

And then he fell off the face of the earth. He occasionally texts me to ask abx questions, but I don't inquire further. I recently accidentally came across his new online dating profile.

Sometimes they're just not that into you.

But it rekindled the hope that that man does exist. So there must be more fitting that similar description.

You probably are.

Do you know where she ended up? Could you find her on Facebook?

She's married. I don't want to talk about it, if you don't mind, since I still miss her.

Sometimes they're just not that into you.

No, she was into me. We heavily flirted with each other throughout medical school, but once we graduated that was it. I guess she liked me, but not enough to leave the other guy.

Anyways, if you know that guy is single, why don't you go after him?

Anyways, if you know that guy is single, why don't you go after him?

Because we've already dated and he's the one who halted communication.

My pride and self respect would never let me go chasing after him now. And frankly, if he was interested, I'd hear more from him than "can I use this leftover keflex for a dog bite"

It's not like I have a shortage of guys who are into me. Just a shortage of guys with mutual liking.

Also: creepy.

"Hey, I saw you have a new profile. Not the one we originally met with. Guess this means you're back on the market???"

#notastalkeronpurposethistime

My pride and self respect would never let me go chasing after him now. And frankly, if he was interested, I'd hear more from him than "can I use this leftover keflex for a dog bite"

Well, I understand the second part, but I disagree with the first part. Although, I guess that's because I'm a guy and we get shot down all the time, so basically pride doesn't figure into anything.

She looks vaguely Jewish, but, yeah, it's not like if I saw her randomly on the street that I would guess that was her heritage. And I said she was cute, so I don't know why you think I'm busting on her. It's true that she's too skinny, though. By the way, my situation doesn't really affect my concept of what is attractive.
I know but you're not even giving it chance anyway. I know it would probably never happen but I don't are how you go like: "she is cute but not my type". You dismiss her way to early. If I am single, the girl is cute and interested in going out with me - i will definitely go for it. I am into women who look like Kin Kardashian but I am still totally open to dating someone who looks completely different and is not really my type. I think you should do the same and go for a girl even if she is not exactly your type instead of dismissing her as a potential date from one picture.

By "in your situation" I meant not having other options anyway. It's not like you're having tons of options to chose from. Would you rather be alone just because a girl physically is not exactly what you're looking for?

Well, I understand the second part, but I disagree with the first part. Although, I guess that's because I'm a guy and we get shot down all the time, so basically pride doesn't figure into anything.
I don't understand both of you here. The most important characteristic of someone ideal for me is that the person is crazy about me. How can you idealize someone who is not that interested in being with you is beyond me.

I know but you're not even giving it chance anyway. I know it would probably never happen but I don't are how you go like: "she is cute but not my type". You dismiss her way to early. If I am single, the girl is cute and interested in going out with me - i will definitely go for it. I am into women who look like Kin Kardashian but I am still totally open to dating someone who looks completely different and is not really my type. I think you should do the same and go for a girl even if she is not exactly your type instead of dismissing her as a potential date from one picture.

By "in your situation" I meant not having other options anyway. It's not like you're having tons of options to chose from. Would you rather be alone just because a girl physically is not exactly what you're looking for?

When I say "she's cute but she's not my type," I'm generally just trying to let people understand that I'm not saying she's ugly. Some people, if I say "I'm not attracted to her" think that means I'm saying "she's ugly." I think I've mentioned this, but I'm not attracted to a lot of beautiful women. If you told me I could date Kate Upton right now, I'd probably turn her down. NOT because I find her unattractive in the least. It's just that I'm pretty sure she's a ditz and I can't see that being a long-term thing. And I wouldn't be into dating someone I didn't see as a possibility for a long-term thing.

You're right that it's not like I have any other options (and I know that you don't mean that as an insult, just as a fact), but I would rather be alone than be with someone I wasn't looking for. I guess it's because I haven't really dated. For one, it's not like I miss dating because I haven't, lol. So that doesn't make me all desperate in that way. For another, it sort of makes me more cautious because one thing I am genuinely worried about is that my first girlfriend would be with some psychobitch. Then I'd be like "WTF, I don't need this at all." You probably don't get what I mean, but that's how I feel.

Last edited:
I don't understand both of you here. The most important characteristic of someone ideal for me is that the person is crazy about me. How can you idealize someone who is not that interested in being with you is beyond me.

Well, you know that they are a good person (i.e., smart, nice, and that you like being around them) and you know you physically are attracted to them. So to me, that would make me think that they're "perfect." Sorry, can't help it.

I get what you're saying. And I'm not stuck on that dude, I go out with plenty of others in the attempt to meet someone I'm crazy about who also likes me.

But it was nice to find out that smart/kind/attractive/ambitious/etc does exist in one package.

But it was nice to find out that smart/kind/attractive/ambitious/etc does exist in one package.

But then doesn't it become hard after you find the guy with "everything in one package" to not compare everyone to him and have them fall short? That's my issue. Like, I'll go "OK, this girl is cute, but she's a secretary (I'm making this up)." Now, I know that everyone will immediately say "that doesn't mean she's not smart!!" Come on. I don't mean that means she's clinically ******ed and soils herself with her own diarrhea at home, but the reality is that most secretaries are probably more interested in Entertainment Tonight than having any deep conversation. So I immediately get a little let down. Maybe it's just me.

Reactions: 1 user
I try to be optimistic in that arena. And not everything has to be a 100% match.

Like previously mentioned, I'd put more weight on someone being really into me than say, favorite book.

Again, with your location, it's possible some people just haven't been exposed to things/culture you're into, but would be open to it.

I've got a strong science background, not so much art. But when I've dated guys who do theater or whatever, I've enjoyed the exposure to a totally different side of the city I would never come across on my own adventuring. And that's been rad.

I try to be optimistic in that arena. And not everything has to be a 100% match.

Like previously mentioned, I'd put more weight on someone being really into me than say, favorite book.

Yeah, I agree that if someone was exactly like you, then it would actually probably get a little irritating. I dunno. Like, my friends (this is my only analogy, lol, horrible right?) are really similar to me. Maybe that's why they put up with me and vice versa. I don't think I have a friend who is totally different from me with totally different interests. Not because I chase those people away, it just hasn't happened. So if a woman was too different from me, I'd probably be worried that, long term, we might not work out. (That's sort of overthinking it, I know, but that's where my head goes.)

I'd post a pic of that chick I ran into the other night, but it only lets me link to URLs.

Yeah, I agree that if someone was exactly like you, then it would actually probably get a little irritating. I dunno. Like, my friends (this is my only analogy, lol, horrible right?) are really similar to me. Maybe that's why they put up with me and vice versa. I don't think I have a friend who is totally different from me with totally different interests. Not because I chase those people away, it just hasn't happened. So if a woman was too different from me, I'd probably be worried that, long term, we might not work out. (That's sort of overthinking it, I know, but that's where my head goes.)

I'd post a pic of that chick I ran into the other night, but it only lets me link to URLs.

I think having platonic friends who are similar to you is fine (as long as you mix it up a little bit from time to time- everyone learns more about themselves when they are exposed to new things)...but romantically? Oh god, no. I dated an MD/PhD guy once and it was awful. I felt like we were always "talking shop" and unconsciously trying to one-up each other's knowledge. It was a constantly stressful relationship because of that.

I much prefer engineer types. Someone who has the same basic intellectual curiosity that I do, but with a different application of that curiosity.

It sucks you're in such a rural area without an SO, since it is much more difficult to meet people that fulfill your standards.

Hopefully this will give you hope and not sound like bragging.
I had been dating with dwindling interest for about 6 years. About 4 years into that period, I started thinking that I should just give up on dating for a while. I never really did, but the energy I put in to looking for someone fell drastically.
Near the end of that 6 year period, a friend from high school, who I was never a super close friend but stayed in intermittent contact with me, said she was going to visit where I was living because a few of her other friends and I lived in this large town. Over the week she was there, we realized we were really attracted to each other. Now we've been dating for more than a year.

I say this as an example of how you never know how you're going to meet someone. I, like you, had nearly impossible standards. I always compared people to this girl I couldn't date earlier in my life, who I admittedly idealized. Like you said you do, I wrote tons of girls off by finding one or two things that didn't fit what I thought was most important.
So, I think it might help for you to just stop looking for a while. I think one reason I was able to get so close to my SO was that I wasn't trying to evaluate her as a potential wife. We just talked and 2-3 days later (read meetings for you, since I was around her and our friends everyday for most of the day) I realized she was great for me.

As others have said, dating sites are filled with weird people and in rural areas, there are few "normal" people to balance them out. Maybe try a dating site and set your search preferences to cover the areas with high population densities? Just broadcast your interests and try to find friends without worrying about potential for anything more than friendship. Then a lot of other people will know about you and talk about you to their friends. Hopefully you can find friends that have interests similar to yours so these girls that hear about you are likely to have similar interests.

I hope the last paragraph made sense. I had to rush it since I'm about to leave work. Anyway, it seems like your inclination to filter people is causing problems and you'll probably do better in situations that are more friend-like than date-like, at least while your still trying to find people.

So, I think it might help for you to just stop looking for a while. I think one reason I was able to get so close to my SO was that I wasn't trying to evaluate her as a potential wife. We just talked and 2-3 days later (read meetings for you, since I was around her and our friends everyday for most of the day) I realized she was great for me.

As others have said, dating sites are filled with weird people and in rural areas, there are few "normal" people to balance them out. Maybe try a dating site and set your search preferences to cover the areas with high population densities? Just broadcast your interests and try to find friends without worrying about potential for anything more than friendship. Then a lot of other people will know about you and talk about you to their friends. Hopefully you can find friends that have interests similar to yours so these girls that hear about you are likely to have similar interests.

I hope the last paragraph made sense. I had to rush it since I'm about to leave work. Anyway, it seems like your inclination to filter people is causing problems and you'll probably do better in situations that are more friend-like than date-like, at least while your still trying to find people.

Yeah, I hear you. I did decide to stop actively looking for now. Not as in "I give up, I'm joining the monkhood!" But the other stuff wasn't my style and it wasn't working. Online dating is really a meat market and it really was working against me. Being honest, I was just looking for the "best" woman -- the handful that were attractive and educated. And if you think about it, they would be doing that too (looking for the best man available). Not just in this rural area, but also in a large city. So although I did look in a large city -- I set my parameters for the metro area I just left -- I was getting no results. The reason is because in a large area, there were honestly better guys than me. I'm a doctor, but I'm not hot -- I've been told that I'm "cute," but it's more like "your little brother cute." I ran into a few female physicians on online dating, one of whom was pretty attractive, and I thought she'd be like "ooo, a doctor, OK!" But she wasn't interested, apparently. It was sort of like that TED Talks video, where the woman said that in a city of over a million men, she figured that some thirty men actually fit her criteria. That really resonated with me because, even though I'm blaming the rural area I'm in (and it does factor in), the truth is that if you stuck me in New York City, I'd also probably say that less than 100 women fit my criteria. Then the odds that I would fit hers is probably similarly small.

Now, that's not to say that I feel that there's zero chance I would meet someone I was interested in. But if I focus on checking off a list of criteria, then there would be zero chance. Realistically, that's not how we find dates or spouses, I don't think. Like, it's not like as soon as you meet someone you say "are you funny?? Are you educated?? Do you like Top 40 music?? No? Then see you later!" But you do on online dating, so you're often not even giving anyone a chance. I don't know how some people make profiles and get people to respond to them, but I apparently don't have that magic touch. So I ditched online dating, likely permanently. It's a vehicle that doesn't work for me, not here in the sticks, and not in the largest city in North America.

You're right, I think I need to try to distract my brain from its filtering. When I'm just out doing whatever, that would probably be the best distraction. Now, problematically, since I'm an introvert, when I'm out doing whatever, it's usually an activity where I'm not concentrating on people around me. Like if I'm at a mall, I can't just wander around looking at people and I definitely couldn't approach someone I was interested in. I generally need to be there for a reason like "I'm going to this store to buy a shirt and then I'm leaving." So I'm trying to break out of that aspect of my personality. But to be honest, part of me doesn't care. I mean, realistically, I'm an introvert. Whoever I date would have to accept that. So it's sort of silly to pretend I'm an extrovert to get the woman and then have her glaring at me as we sit quietly somewhere when we're perhaps a year into it.

A lot of the issues are also that I'm a very conflicted person. I would like to meet someone like me, but if I stop and think about it, I'm a huge mess. For example, I like to live in larger cities because I like to "be in civilization." But I also hate crowds and I enjoy being out in the wild. Like, where I am is very serene. There's almost no traffic ever -- I can drive to work and maybe hit the brakes once or twice -- and in the mornings you can hear birds chirping in the trees and deer run around (for real, no joke) and it totally beats hearing honking horns or inhaling exhaust. Those two things are in complete opposition to one another. Where would I find a woman like that? Generally the women who are well-educated would not want to be out in "the sticks," much like I don't. And the women who do are country girls who "don't care about looking like sticks figures" and like to get dirty. But even though I like their down-to-earth nature and lack of pretension, it's TOO down-to-earth. And they're not interested in a nerd like me, they want a guy who is "a man's man." I mean, what I've found online are that, sure, there are gold-diggers in this area who are looking for a rich guy. But there are also a lot of women whose primary criteria for a date is "I need a guy who knows how to use tools" or "he should be able to fix his car if it breaks down." I'm not that guy, lol, I own a hammer and a screwdriver and that's it. So I sort of live in two worlds and belong to neither.

I guess that's a long way of saying that I, on some level, came to grips with the fact that I might not find anyone. Not that I've given up, but that I'm being realistic about it. I'm still looking, but it's sort of ambivalently at this point. If I run into an interesting, cute girl, awesome. If not, then that was sort of what I expected. (I know that sounds pessimistic and fatalistic, but that's just where I am.)

So, vaguely related question that I ran into when I was PMing with someone. Does this make me a "bad" person? Someone told me that in order to get over my idealization of the one girl (who, again, is now married and so there is no shot), I have to think negative things about her. So I started thinking about her getting older and less attractive, maybe gaining weight. That's actually sort of working. But at the same time, I feel bad about doing that because it basically feels skeevy. Like "man, she's getting old and ugly ...OK, now I can go out with younger women! It worked!" (By the way, I already know studentp0x's response, lol.)

So, vaguely related question that I ran into when I was PMing with someone. Does this make me a "bad" person? Someone told me that in order to get over my idealization of the one girl (who, again, is now married and so there is no shot), I have to think negative things about her. So I started thinking about her getting older and less attractive, maybe gaining weight. That's actually sort of working. But at the same time, I feel bad about doing that because it basically feels skeevy. Like "man, she's getting old and ugly ...OK, now I can go out with younger women! It worked!" (By the way, I already know studentp0x's response, lol.)
Just stop idealizing her. She is a human like any one of us here with good and bad. I am sure she has plenty of flaws that you're not aware of.