Urrrrgh ...single?

Just stop idealizing her. She is a human like any one of us here with good and bad. I am sure she has plenty of flaws that you're not aware of.

That's easier said than done. Plus, it's already happened, so it's sort of like the proverbial "closing the barn door after the horse is out." As I told the other person I was talking to, the problem is I compare other women to her and they always fall short. For example, I've gone out to a couple of meet-ups here in the college town and there were actually a couple of attractive girls in the group. I chatted with them briefly and the thing is they're your normal, average girls in their mid-20s: they're college graduates who don't really have a clearly defined career yet and who are sort of doing "random" jobs (e.g., one of them part-time works as a hostess at a place).

Now, you can say "so? That doesn't make them bad people." And you're absolutely right. But it's sort of difficult for me to even see myself going out with someone like that (meaning, assuming they'd agree to it, lol, I don't mean to say that they'd automatically agree). Because when I was their age, I was working towards a medical degree. I can understand if people say "wow, that's stuck up, especially for a guy who has no dates," but that's just the way I think. Like, I once saw a semi-OK looking cleaning girl who I estimated to be in her 20s at a hospital (she really wasn't that great looking, but I guess I was really starting to get horny, lol, and my perception got all messed up). I never had any intention of asking her out, but I asked some of my friends (who were also physicians) if they'd ever consider going out with someone who was way below them in education or social status like that. And even though they all said "sure, we'd go out with them," they also were clear that they didn't really mean it in a long-term type of deal.

As I said, I know people from medical school who are married to people who aren't doctors or lawyers, of course. But in general they met those people when they were in college, or even earlier. The people who met people in medical school or beyond that I'm aware of all married other professionals. And maybe a large part of that is that's who they interact with. For example, the average doctor isn't running into teachers in their typical day, but of course you could have met someone in college who majored in education and became a teacher. That's a drawn-out way of saying that I don't think that I'm alone in saying that I wouldn't marry, for example, some bartender woman or a secretary.

Members don't see this ad.

What state do you live in?

I'd rather not say publicly. It's a state that borders the Appalachians, so you know in a broad sense where it is. It's also not in a major city in said state, so it's definitely rural. Is there a reason you wanted to know the state?

I just went to another meetup and got really bummed out. I was talking with a guy and couple of girls. More listening than anything, actually. The guy was older -- like, he looked to be around my age, but he really looked his age -- but I guess I'd say he seemed to be decent looking and he was very extroverted. He was actually carrying on most of the conversation himself and any time there was a lull in talk, he would come up with something to say, which I admired. He also seemed to know a LOT of girls, since most of his stories involved him and some other girl or another. But with all that, turns out that he also was having no success meeting anyone and was actually considering joining online dating. I was like "the hell is wrong with THIS guy that he's not having any success? He's personable, he has good stories, he hangs out with women." (Although I personally thought he was a jerk because he really only paid attention to women. Like, a couple times I was just trying to make conversation with him and would say something to him and he'd ignore me unless what I was saying let him launch into a story, which I consider to be rude.) I couldn't figure out if he was just one of these "reformed player because I'm getting old" guys, but he really seemed morose about things, just like I am.

On the converse side, the girls seemed to be in their mid-20s and one was actually very pretty, but they also both said that they were having no luck at finding decent guys, either. They basically said that this entire area was horrible for singles, which surprised me. I mean, I have to drive 40 minutes to get to the college town and they live there. They all seemed to party still -- most of their stories were the typical "I was soooo wasted ..." stories -- and they also knew lots of guys. And again, the one girl was pretty (but she didn't really seem that sharp, if you know what I mean), so I couldn't believe that she couldn't find anyone she was interested in.

What I'm getting at is that if these people, who were at least average looking, were sociable and used to interacting with people, hung out in the "right" places and did the "right" things couldn't find anyone, then WTF am I doing? :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, if that's actually you and not some random photo that you nabbed off the Internet for a dummy account, then you look pretty good.

Are you talking about me? I am using this app from my cell phone and even though I uploaded a photo its not showing from my end. If you are referring to me and my photo, yes it is me. It was taken two nights ago. I live in AZ.

What do you look like, lol ?

It's a secret! :) Actually, I don't mind letting people see what I look like, but generally not before I even know them. I have no idea how to describe myself, other than that I look a lot younger than my age. (I'm constantly told that and, although it's been an issue my entire life, both personally and professionally, of course as I grow older it's something that I've secretly become very vain about. :p)

Oh, your avatar is broken now, by the way.

At least you have the option to be picky. No women except perhaps the morbidly obese are interested in me. If they ever created a way to be asexual and not care about romantic relationships I would be the first in line.

You wrote about how you found the women on online dating not up to par for your standards. Whereas I sent out perhaps 100 messages, got 60 views and no replies.

Nah, what I wrote was that most of the women were unattractive to me. The couple that were OK looking I messaged and didn't get a response back. Theoretically, sure, I could try messaging some obese woman with kids, but I'm not that desperate.

Why are you on probationary status?

I'll PM you so I can tell you, but basically some guy insulted me and I insulted him back and then someone reported me. :rofl: I was told I should ignore and/or report insults.

Members don't see this ad :)
@ruralsurg4now, I don't think that someone talking about themselves the whole time is all that attractive, especially if they're peppering the conversations heavily with their fun times with other women. (Especially since as a woman, I'd be wondering what he'd done to scare them all off.) Don't let it knock your confidence!

@ruralsurg4now, I don't think that someone talking about themselves the whole time is all that attractive, especially if they're peppering the conversations heavily with their fun times with other women. (Especially since as a woman, I'd be wondering what he'd done to scare them all off.) Don't let it knock your confidence!

Oh, it wasn't like that. As I say, he was fairly personable, but all his stories involved women -- not sexually or anything, but for example he would just randomly start talking about some hair salon he went to and then add "...there's a hot hairstylist there, she's my hairstylist" or he'd be talking about a place he was at and then say "...you know who was there? Kelly. She's this cute blonde." He wasn't being overbearing about the stories, either, it was just that he was really the only one doing much talking. Whenever he left, things just lapsed into silence.

That's sort of the problem I have with talking to women. It's sort of hard to explain, but with guys I have no problem talking about stupid things. Like, I could even just say "on my way here, I saw a ridiculous amount of roadkill." And we'd immediately get into a conversation about it. But if I say something like that to a girl, she just goes "uh huh" or "oh?" and there's nothing else to say other than "...uh, yeah, like there was a squirrel and a raccoon and ...uh, another squirrel." And while you're talking, you're like "holy s**t, this is the most ******ed conversation ever. I sound like an idiot." I never really thought about it much until recently, but whereas other people have good descriptive stories where they don't need any actual interaction (e.g., "I just came back from vacation and ..."), my conversation is centered around an exchange. And a lot of women (in particular) as I said sort of leave me hanging. So, like at this event, I just sit there in silence racking my brain about something to say where I might get a good response from the other person.

I'm not sure if this is unfair, but in my experience, it's like the more attractive women just sit around when I talk to them, sort of like they're waiting to hear an entertaining tale. The (no offense to anyone) less attractive women and men jump right into the conversation. At that same meetup, I was initially sitting with a larger girl (lol, sorry, but it's true) and honestly all I said was "is this your first time at a meetup event?" And she goes "yeah, I'm new to the area ...well, actually, I think I was at one waaaay back, so I lied ..." and then we started talking about that and had a pretty long conversation. Later that evening, when I went over to sit by the other girl and guy, I sort of did the same thing. I said to her "hey, I think I saw you at the last meetup thing" and she goes "oh, yeah." So I said "did you have fun at it (because we had been in different groups for the event)?" and I was expecting to be able to use that to springboard into a decent conversation. Instead, she just says "it was OK" and then stops. Now I have nowhere to go. So I just say "yeah, it was decent but it got a little long (it was a scavenger hunt) and our group got sort of bored by the end." And she just says "yeah, us, too." I'm like "ffs, this conversation sucks a$$." So I just lapsed into silence and we both sat there uncomfortably for a while until the guy returned to the table and started talking about his stories. Now, you may say "well, it sounds like she was a boring person," but I promise you this always happens to me with attractive women and is why I have so much trouble talking to them. It's honestly like they're dead weight in conversations, but only with me. Like, this other guy was talking about equally ******ed stuff, such as his hairstylist or how he was parallel parking and she would chime in with stories like "OMG, yeah, there was this one time ..." and I'm like "wtf, where was this five seconds ago?" (To be fair, they knew each other for a few months, whereas this was the second time I was meeting her, but it was still ridiculous.)

Oh, it wasn't like that. As I say, he was fairly personable, but all his stories involved women -- not sexually or anything, but for example he would just randomly start talking about some hair salon he went to and then add "...there's a hot hairstylist there, she's my hairstylist" or he'd be talking about a place he was at and then say "...you know who was there? Kelly. She's this cute blonde." He wasn't being overbearing about the stories, either, it was just that he was really the only one doing much talking. Whenever he left, things just lapsed into silence.

That's sort of the problem I have with talking to women. It's sort of hard to explain, but with guys I have no problem talking about stupid things. Like, I could even just say "on my way here, I saw a ridiculous amount of roadkill." And we'd immediately get into a conversation about it. But if I say something like that to a girl, she just goes "uh huh" or "oh?" and there's nothing else to say other than "...uh, yeah, like there was a squirrel and a raccoon and ...uh, another squirrel." And while you're talking, you're like "holy s**t, this is the most ******ed conversation ever. I sound like an idiot." I never really thought about it much until recently, but whereas other people have good descriptive stories where they don't need any actual interaction (e.g., "I just came back from vacation and ..."), my conversation is centered around an exchange. And a lot of women (in particular) as I said sort of leave me hanging. So, like at this event, I just sit there in silence racking my brain about something to say where I might get a good response from the other person.

I'm not sure if this is unfair, but in my experience, it's like the more attractive women just sit around when I talk to them, sort of like they're waiting to hear an entertaining tale. The (no offense to anyone) less attractive women and men jump right into the conversation. At that same meetup, I was initially sitting with a larger girl (lol, sorry, but it's true) and honestly all I said was "is this your first time at a meetup event?" And she goes "yeah, I'm new to the area ...well, actually, I think I was at one waaaay back, so I lied ..." and then we started talking about that and had a pretty long conversation. Later that evening, when I went over to sit by the other girl and guy, I sort of did the same thing. I said to her "hey, I think I saw you at the last meetup thing" and she goes "oh, yeah." So I said "did you have fun at it (because we had been in different groups for the event)?" and I was expecting to be able to use that to springboard into a decent conversation. Instead, she just says "it was OK" and then stops. Now I have nowhere to go. So I just say "yeah, it was decent but it got a little long (it was a scavenger hunt) and our group got sort of bored by the end." And she just says "yeah, us, too." I'm like "ffs, this conversation sucks a$$." So I just lapsed into silence and we both sat there uncomfortably for a while until the guy returned to the table and started talking about his stories. Now, you may say "well, it sounds like she was a boring person," but I promise you this always happens to me with attractive women and is why I have so much trouble talking to them. It's honestly like they're dead weight in conversations, but only with me. Like, this other guy was talking about equally ******ed stuff, such as his hairstylist or how he was parallel parking and she would chime in with stories like "OMG, yeah, there was this one time ..." and I'm like "wtf, where was this five seconds ago?" (To be fair, they knew each other for a few months, whereas this was the second time I was meeting her, but it was still ridiculous.)

I assume that they just don't find you attractive "enough" or they have their eye on someone else at the event. If they're one of the more attractive ones there, they've probably figured out that they have the upper hand on the "market" and don't want to be encouraging someone that they aren't interested in. Which sucks, but there isn't much you can do about it other than keep working on your chattin' skills. But if they're going to be rude, they're going to be rude no matter how well you try to get the conversation going :shrug:

The other thing that I have a problem with is I reeeeeeaaallly think that women don't like it when people contradict them, so I spend the entire conversation on eggshells. Like, I'll give you guys an example. A guy said "you guys see Jennifer Lawrence? She's hot!" And I have no problem -- even if I've never met the guy before -- just saying "yeah, but her acting skills suck ass. She's like a block of wood." (Which is true, btw.) Now, you can't do that with a woman. This girl was talking about Paul Walker and how sad she was that he had died and I know that if I had just said something joking like "yeah, guess we'll never see the eighth installment of the greatest franchise in movie history about driving cars" she would have spazzed out and labeled me a douchebag. And the women here can say "I wouldn't mind if you said that," but I have a feeling if I met you in real life and did something like that your reaction would not be "lol, that's funny" but rather "woah, what an insensitive dips**t."

I assume that they just don't find you attractive "enough" or they have their eye on someone else at the event. If they're one of the more attractive ones there, they've probably figured out that they have the upper hand on the "market" and don't want to be encouraging someone that they aren't interested in. Which sucks, but there isn't much you can do about it other than keep working on your chattin' skills. But if they're going to be rude, they're going to be rude no matter how well you try to get the conversation going :shrug:

That's possible, but it happens with women where we're clearly not interested in being anything more than friends, too. In med school I was friends with one of the "hot girls" in the class. (I wasn't attracted to her, but guys always talked about how hot she was. I never really thought her face was that great, but she was a tall, skinny blonde, so ...you know guys, lol.) I don't even remember how we became friends, but at some point she just started sitting next to me in every class (but I stress that she wasn't hitting on me, trust me, I 100% guarantee it). And even though we were friends, we didn't really say too much other than stray remarks like "this lecture is boring, are you staying for this?" I could never think of anything she'd be interested in discussing. Her friends all sat behind us, too, so I got a chance to hear what girls talk about (because I have no idea what you guys talk about -- it's honestly like I believe you guys just talk about clothes and "Dawson's Creek"). Guess what? All they ever talked about were clothes. My God, I've never heard people talk about clothes and shoes so much. It would just be "she's got a cute top" and then it was away to the races. Later on, whenever one of their friends was getting married, they would talk about weddings. There's no way I can talk about either of those subjects.

The other thing that I have a problem with is I reeeeeeaaallly think that women don't like it when people contradict them, so I spend the entire conversation on eggshells. Like, I'll give you guys an example. A guy said "you guys see Jennifer Lawrence? She's hot!" And I have no problem -- even if I've never met the guy before -- just saying "yeah, but her acting skills suck ass. She's like a block of wood." (Which is true, btw.) Now, you can't do that with a woman. This girl was talking about Paul Walker and how sad she was that he had died and I know that if I had just said something joking like "yeah, guess we'll never see the eighth installment of the greatest franchise in movie history about driving cars" she would have spazzed out and labeled me a douchebag. And the women here can say "I wouldn't mind if you said that," but I have a feeling if I met you in real life and did something like that your reaction would not be "lol, that's funny" but rather "woah, what an insensitive dips**t."

It's usually safer to avoid er, polarizing humor like that out of the gate, but some people do well with sarcastic humor. (I tend to fall to that side and have to hold myself back.) I don't think you need to agree with everything she says, but finding a safer way to word your dissent would have better outcomes :laugh:

That's possible, but it happens with women where we're clearly not interested in being anything more than friends, too. In med school I was friends with one of the "hot girls" in the class. (I wasn't attracted to her, but guys always talked about how hot she was. I never really thought her face was that great, but she was a tall, skinny blonde, so ...you know guys, lol.) I don't even remember how we became friends, but at some point she just started sitting next to me in every class (but I stress that she wasn't hitting on me, trust me, I 100% guarantee it). And even though we were friends, we didn't really say too much other than stray remarks like "this lecture is boring, are you staying for this?" I could never think of anything she'd be interested in discussing. Her friends all sat behind us, too, so I got a chance to hear what girls talk about (because I have no idea what you guys talk about -- it's honestly like I believe you guys just talk about clothes and "Dawson's Creek"). Guess what? All they ever talked about were clothes. My God, I've never heard people talk about clothes and shoes so much. It would just be "she's got a cute top" and then it was away to the races. Later on, whenever one of their friends was getting married, they would talk about weddings. There's no way I can talk about either of those subjects.

I feel you on that one! When I got married, girls would corner me and try to talk about wedding stuff and it was awful. My husband always jokes that I have more testosterone than most guys, though, so I don't think I'm a good sample - I love sports and cars and dislike shopping and gossiping and stuff. There's got to be some common ground, though, you just gotta find it. (And those girls don't expect guys to want to talk about clothes and shoes, so you're safe.)

It's usually safer to avoid er, polarizing humor like that out of the gate, but some people do well with sarcastic humor. (I tend to fall to that side and have to hold myself back.) I don't think you need to agree with everything she says, but finding a safer way to word your dissent would have better outcomes :laugh:

Well, all I said was "yeah, that was horrible" and then she talked for like five minutes about how tragic it was and I just sat there like "I really don't know what to say here." I mean, I could have just lamely repeated "yeah, that was horrible," but that's it. I mean, I seriously thought that she was related to him, the way she reacted.

You have to be yourself. I mean, be tactful, but do not worry about contradicting women. Many women like that "gentle tension" of disagreement over nonsense issues, like the acting skills of XYZ. It's also important to state your case clearly on things that really matter (like what you think of having children, what you envision as your vs. her role in a family, your views on an important political issue, etc. You don't want to go into the relationship cowering in fear of her wrath. No decent woman would find that attractive. And if it just so happens that the girl you date doesn't want kids and prefers raising horses, and you make it plain that you don't care for horses and want kids - then you've done yourself and her a benefit, so the relationship can dissolve at an early stage because of such irreconcilable differences.

Also, I think you would do yourself a favor either posting a pic or PMing it to a few people. Both women and men can provide advice regarding hairstyle, clothing style, etc. and what you have to work with. There are things you can do to improve your appearance that might be a big factor here.

Reactions: 1 user
There's got to be some common ground, though, you just gotta find it. (And those girls don't expect guys to want to talk about clothes and shoes, so you're safe.)

I know, if I talked about clothes and shoes, they'd assume I was gay. But that's why I always try to find out what people talk to women about. As I say, it seems like the best conversations revolve around the guy telling a story, basically, but I'm a boring guy and I don't have stories. Like, I don't go on fantastic vacations or anything. I pretty much just work, but I dislike talking about that because then I feel like a douche like "hey, everyone, I had just cut open some guy's abdomen ...oh, did I mention I'm a doctor?? -- btw, anyone ever see intestines before??" (Don't laugh, I've seen guys do stuff like that.) So that's why I just sit around all quietly. It sucks though.

Also, I think you would do yourself a favor either posting a pic or PMing it to a few people. Both women and men can provide advice regarding hairstyle, clothing style, etc. and what you have to work with. There are things you can do to improve your appearance that might be a big factor here.

Oh, if you want, I'll PM you a pic, but SDN won't let me do it except as a URL and I don't feel like getting a Photobucket or Flikr account just for that.

Oh, if you want, I'll PM you a pic, but SDN won't let me do it except as a URL and I don't feel like getting a Photobucket or Flikr account just for that.

I personally don't care, but I think it might help to PM someone you trust on these forums. There are online websites that let you post photos (with expiration times of minutes to hours to days, you set the time) and that do not require an account.

I know, if I talked about clothes and shoes, they'd assume I was gay. But that's why I always try to find out what people talk to women about. As I say, it seems like the best conversations revolve around the guy telling a story, basically, but I'm a boring guy and I don't have stories. Like, I don't go on fantastic vacations or anything. I pretty much just work, but I dislike talking about that because then I feel like a douche like "hey, everyone, I had just cut open some guy's abdomen ...oh, did I mention I'm a doctor?? -- btw, anyone ever see intestines before??" (Don't laugh, I've seen guys do stuff like that.) So that's why I just sit around all quietly. It sucks though.

I know you're probably pretty busy, but what about books, movies, sports, TV shows, activities that you enjoy?

I feel you on that one! When I got married, girls would corner me and try to talk about wedding stuff and it was awful. My husband always jokes that I have more testosterone than most guys, though, so I don't think I'm a good sample - I love sports and cars and dislike shopping and gossiping and stuff. There's got to be some common ground, though, you just gotta find it. (And those girls don't expect guys to want to talk about clothes and shoes, so you're safe.)

OT, but I'm in the middle of that right now too. I just got asked again on the necropsy floor yesterday by another clinician when the "big day" is.

People (mostly women) look at me weird when I say we are just going to the courthouse. "But don't you want wedding?!"
Um, no. That's 10-20k I could put towards a house or a car (or my loans). Plus the idea of traipsing around in a big poofy dress in front of people for hours sounds perfectly embarrassing. Backyard bbq at most.

Reactions: 1 user
I know you're probably pretty busy, but what about books, movies, sports, TV shows, activities that you enjoy?

Well, the thing is I have very unusual tastes. Like, the TV I watch is not "Glee." I watch stuff like "Drugs, Inc." on National Geographic, which is a series of shows examining the drug epidemic in America and how it affects users and law enforcement. It's usually not a great opener for parties. :D I like football, too, but once you start talking about that, usual women's eyes glaze over and then guys will wander over and we'll excitedly talk about it for three hours before someone notices that all the women left.

I personally don't care, but I think it might help to PM someone you trust on these forums. There are online websites that let you post photos (with expiration times of minutes to hours to days, you set the time) and that do not require an account.

Uh, OK, let me set this up. Anyone who wants to see what I look like, let me know.

OT, but I'm in the middle of that right now too. I just got asked again on the necropsy floor yesterday by another clinician when the "big day" is.

People (mostly women) look at me weird when I say we are just going to the courthouse. "But don't you want wedding?!"
Um, no. That's 10-20k I could put towards a house or a car (or my loans). Plus the idea of traipsing around in a big poofy dress in front of people for hours sounds perfectly embarrassing. Backyard bbq at most.
Will there be beer?

Well, the thing is I have very unusual tastes. Like, the TV I watch is not "Glee." I watch stuff like "Drugs, Inc." on National Geographic, which is a series of shows examining the drug epidemic in America and how it affects users and law enforcement. It's usually not a great opener for parties. :D I like football, too, but once you start talking about that, usual women's eyes glaze over and then guys will wander over and we'll excitedly talk about it for three hours before someone notices that all the women left.

You are who you are, you can't change that. Maybe read some more books (not 50 shades of gray!) so you can talk about that with educated women. Read many novels? Do you like art museums and do you know any famous pieces? What about music (pop, classical, rock, etc.)?

Relationships are not dependent on this. I know of a chemistry professor (woman) who was married to a stone mason several years younger than her, and they apparently had a very happy marriage until she died.

These little commonalities are more like social lubrication to help get things going and see how the person expresses him/herself.

OK, here it is for a brief period of time. Don't be d**ks and copy it or repost it, OK?

GONE!

Last edited:
Um, I'm aware it's an issue NOW, but I'm coming from a large, metropolitan area where it wasn't. The issue was just me being socially awkward, which is why that's what I've been talking about.

OK, here it is for a brief period of time. Don't be d**ks and copy it or repost it, OK?

GONE!

Shucks, it seems I missed the much vaunted ruralsurg pic which would help me figure out 90% of his dating problem (and was much delaying in coming forth).

Shucks, it seems I missed the much vaunted ruralsurg pic which would help me figure out 90% of his dating problem (and was much delaying in coming forth).

punkedoutriffs scarred me for life. I'll PM it to you (and anyone else who wants to see it, I guess), but please don't repost it.

punkedoutriffs scarred me for life. I'll PM it to you (and anyone else who wants to see it, I guess), but please don't repost it.

Of course I won't. And that pic had better be real!

Last edited:
I never tell any stories to women because most of my favorite stories are dirty and shouldn't be told to anyone, especially women. Just ask them questions. Basic stuff. Where are you from? What do you do? And then play off of that. If she gives you one word replies and is not asking any questions back - move on.

I never tell any stories to women because most of my favorite stories are dirty and shouldn't be told to anyone, especially women. Just ask them questions. Basic stuff. Where are you from? What do you do? And then play off of that. If she gives you one word replies and is not asking any questions back - move on.

Yeah, the problem is I always target the only person I find attractive, so if I move on, I have nowhere to go. :)

Why do you keep thinking it's fake, lol?

Because I would have thought you would avoid/flee from backwards rural Appalachia like the plague. I've heard some horror stories from my friends who had to work in West Virginia.

Because I would have thought you would avoid/flee from backwards rural Appalachia like the plague. I've heard some horror stories from my friends who had to work in West Virginia.

Lol, I've never really been anywhere where people have treated me poorly as a population (that I know of -- I mean, they could be flipping me off behind my back).