US Bachelor degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biotechie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this is not a dental question, but hopefully some US students can help.

I am a Canadian student, and want to apply to a few US schools for grad school.

Namely, Northwestern University.

They have seen my marks, and said as long as I have a Bachelors degree in Science, I can be admitted.

In canada we have Honors BSc. and BSc. Both are bachelors, but one takes 3 years and one takes four. Does anyone know whether US schools will take a BSc. Do some schools take it, and some not ?

I have taken 30 courses each had 36 credit hours, for a total of 1080 hours of coursework.

Anyone know if my 3 year general science degree = "bachelors degree".

Or, does anyone have familiarity with Northwestern to know what they require ?

Members don't see this ad.

Biotechie said:
Hi,

I know this is not a dental question, but hopefully some US students can help.

I am a Canadian student, and want to apply to a few US schools for grad school.

Namely, Northwestern University.

They have seen my marks, and said as long as I have a Bachelors degree in Science, I can be admitted.

In canada we have Honors BSc. and BSc. Both are bachelors, but one takes 3 years and one takes four. Does anyone know whether US schools will take a BSc. Do some schools take it, and some not ?

I have taken 30 courses each had 36 credit hours, for a total of 1080 hours of coursework.

Anyone know if my 3 year general science degree = "bachelors degree".

Or, does anyone have familiarity with Northwestern to know what they require ?

Northwestern closed thier dental school in 2001. Are you sure you are in the right forum?

edkNARF said:
Northwestern closed thier dental school in 2001. Are you sure you are in the right forum?

It's not a dental question. And yes, I know it probably should not be in this forum...but im in a rush, and figured Id get a quick response here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biotechie said:
It's not a dental question. And yes, I know it probably should not be in this forum...but im in a rush, and figured Id get a quick response here.

Applying to dental school is a big decision. It should not be made in a rush.

edkNARF said:
Applying to dental school is a big decision. It should not be made in a rush.

Wow edkNARF, you are slow!! He said graduate school not dental school.

JamesD said:
Wow edkNARF, you are slow!! He said graduate school not dental school.

I am applying to dent next year, for now I want to apply to a masters program in the US. Hope that clarifies...no US students wanna shed any light ?

Biotechie said:
I am applying to dent next year, for now I want to apply to a masters program in the US. Hope that clarifies...no US students wanna shed any light ?

Unfortunately, since many of us didn't go to school in Canada, and the fact that you're posting in a dental forum, you likely will not get a good answer about a MS program for your situation. I would advise contacting the admissions people at Northwestern because no matter what any of us say, it will ultimately come down to Northwestern's policies on how they view your degree.

Biotechie said:

Usually at the level of graduate admissions schools are very aware of foreign degree types and their US correlation(s), especially those from our northern neighbor. I am confident that what Northwestern was referring to was your successful completion of your Canadian undergraduate degree and in that case, yes, your BSc should suffice. Check with the office of graduate admissions at Northwestern and they'll clear things up for you. Best of luck!