US Citizen, US Residency -> Canadian attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VisionaryTics

Señor Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just having trouble figuring this out. My significant other would like to join me in Ontario during my fellowship. She's a US citizen, US MD medical school, finishing US residency this year. She applied to CPSO using "review of qualifications" form (https://www.cpso.on.ca/CPSO/media/d...gistration forms/Review-of-Qualifications.pdf).

CPSO response is that she's pathway 4, which makes no sense considering she's not an FMG. And also that she wouldn't be able to apply for Canadian license until she passes written boards.

Has anyone been through this process of applying for Canadian jobs straight out of US residency?

Members don't see this ad.

What specialty is she from? She should technically not be pathway 4, but she will need to write the canadian boards nonetheless, and to be eligible for such she needs the equivalent amount of training.

By boards, I mean the royal canadian exam absolutely. The requirement for MCQEE1 and 2 (essentially equivalent to step 1/2) is still slightly confusing to me. I do know that for internal medicine for example, if you only do 3 years of training in the US (it is 4 years in canada), you do not have to write any additional exams, but need to work under a supervisor for 12-18 months with a restricted license. After that you may be eligible for an unrestricted one, depending on the CPSO.

If she does have the equivalent years of training, she can write the royal canadian exam for that specific field, however I am not 100% on what kind of licensing that gives you ultimately.

Your spouse should be pathway 3: | Pathway 3 – U.S. or Canadian Medical Degree or Doctor of Osteopathy with U.S. Postgraduate Training | Policy | Policies & Publications | College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario

My understanding is that she will need to be US specialty board certified before pursuing this pathway however. Once board certified in the US, under pathway 3, you don't have to write the Canadian qualifying (MCCQE 1 and 2) or specialty board exams which is nice. Instead, the following restrictions are put in place:
  1. The physician must practice with a mentor and/or supervisor until he or she has successfully completed an assessment.
  2. The physician must undergo an assessment after completing a minimum of one year of practice in Ontario. The certificate of registration automatically expires 18 months from the date of issuance, but may be renewed by the Registration Committee, with or without additional or other terms, conditions and limitations.
I have no idea what the assessment entails however. My understanding about the mentor/supervisor role is that this person need not work directly with your spouse as well, but rather would meet with them periodically to review their charts and ensure their work meets some sort of standard, but they could otherwise be employed somewhere completely separate from your spouse. I think Health Force Ontario is supposed to have people to help find mentors but I haven't looked into it personally as of yet.

If it works out, I think Pathway 3 would be the best way to go. Otherwise for your spouse to get a full unrestricted Canadian licence in their specialty they would have to take the QE1, QE2 and Specialty Board Exam (and to be eligible for the Board Exam she would have to have equivalent training in the US to match the Canadian requirements). The whole process is time consuming and extremely expensive and in my opinion, not worth it. Best of luck!