US Dental School (Admission)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldstar96

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello friends:),
i am a dental student over here in the 2nd year of BDS. Now i dont know what to do because me and my family will be moving to USA and i have planned to study there so can i get admission over there in the dental school or i have to start it from the starting like 4 years of bachelors degree (doing pre-dental) then again take admission in dental school (4 years).
I have completed my 1st year of BDS and i dont want to get into pre-dental so can i get admission directly into dental school and i will complete my 2nd year over here.
So i want to know what are the options available.
Please tell me i really need your help.
And if you can tell me about different dental school where i can apply.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt there is any way you can get into a US dental school at the point you're at. You would have to somehow get 90+ credits transferred, and you would also have to have all the pre-req courses done for the dental schools you want to go to. If you already had your BDS it would be a different story, but that's not the case.

So you'll have to likely enter a BA/BS program, transfer as much coursework as you can, and finish any pre-req classes that didn't transfer. You will also need to take the DAT. Then you'll be able to apply.

What country are you from?
US only has a reciprocal agreement with Canada I believe...and you have to do 4 yrs of undergrad anyways in both US and Canada....

So you will have to do 4 years of undergrad...
As far as I remember from my own research...you don't do any undergrad credits in BDS...so you will have to start again...
Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
isn't there any way so that i can get admission in any dental school after doing 2nd year of bds and give nbde part1 ?

Since you did not complete your BDS... you cant. there no easy way out for you.

You have to do undergrad ALL OVER AGAIN + take the dat then apply to dental schools... Remember if you got no $ its going to be very hard to apply to dental schools. + if you dont have green card then you might not get a loan at all... or VERY high interest loan.

Good luck tho. YOu are very young person my guess is 18-19 so you HAVE THE TIME to do dental in US. Dont deviate away from it.

isn't there any way so that i can get admission in any dental school after doing 2nd year of bds and give nbde part1 ?

You have to finish your 5 year BDS program then graduate. Then you can take NBDE 1 and apply as a second year dental student.

hello friends:),
i am a dental student over here in the 2nd year of BDS. Now i dont know what to do because me and my family will be moving to USA and i have planned to study there so can i get admission over there in the dental school or i have to start it from the starting like 4 years of bachelors degree (doing pre-dental) then again take admission in dental school (4 years).
I have completed my 1st year of BDS and i dont want to get into pre-dental so can i get admission directly into dental school and i will complete my 2nd year over here.
So i want to know what are the options available.
Please tell me i really need your help.
And if you can tell me about different dental school where i can apply.

Thanks

your "easiest" option is to obtain your BDS degree from your country. Come to USA, take part 1 and apply to the international dentist program at USA dental schools (usually 2-3 years long).

Read this, its not very accurate, but gives you information about USA schools that accept international dentists:
http://toptennation.blogspot.com/2008/02/top-10-easiest-us-dental-schools-to-get.html

plz read this document :

http://www.adea.org/publications/Documents/OG_2011/Chapter 2.pdf

on page 11 admission for international students

and reply back for the question asked ?

It sounds to me like you want to "transfer schools." I would agree with the posters above. I think your best option would be to finish your BDS and come to the US and apply as an international dentist. It says on the document that you may be considered but each school has their admissions requirements and policies. I have never heard of anybody doing what you are trying to do but you should contact the admissions office at the schools you have in mind. They will be able to give you a better answer to that question. Good luck!