US DO vs Caribbean MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My state DO school has an excellent match list, I will be okay.
You may match way better and actually become a practicing physician but you will still be a lowly DO LOL, go to SGU for that MD and 300,000 in debt with no way to pay it back. But hey you will be an MD and maybe you can work at SGU as a professor and breed another generation of these amazing "MD's". I have a heard a bunch of SGU faculty are non-practicing MD's.. hmm I wonder why

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
You may match way better and actually become a practicing physician but you will still be a lowly DO LOL, go to SGU for that MD and 300,000 in debt with no way to pay it back. But hey you will be an MD and maybe you can work at SGU as a professor and breed another generation of these amazing "MD's". I have a heard a bunch of SGU faculty are non-practicing MD's.. hmm I wonder why
Dude your negativity is off the charts. If you can make US MD do it, if you can make US DO go for it, if you choose to go to SGU etc and are a hard worker and can afford it do it. If you are meant to be a doctor you will be. Congrats on people matching into super competitive specialties doesn't make you a better physician or person. I know a family care Doc who makes a huge difference in his pts lives. He's a smart businessman and makes well above some of the top specialties. Don't worry though future doc I'm sure you will match well with your awesome inspirational personality .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude your negativity is off the charts. If you can make US MD do it, if you can make US DO go for it, if you choose to go to SGU etc and are a hard worker and can afford it do it. If you are meant to be a doctor you will be. Congrats on people matching into super competitive specialties doesn't make you a better physician or person. I know a family care Doc who makes a huge difference in his pts lives. He's a smart businessman and makes well above some of the top specialties. Don't worry though future doc I'm sure you will match well with your awesome inspirational personality .

This has nothing to do with prestige or the specialty, it has everything do with dissuading people on this site and everywhere from going carib, its just too much of a risk to take with the endless school expansion, if you can't make it to a USMD or USDO school you should honestly reconsider the career, the Caribbean is a terrible option and many many people have been burned trying to go that route, i suspect this will become the norm in the next 5-10 years as the competition gets stiffer. There are many carib grads who passed all their classes, passed their boards and still failed to match family med and are now $300,000 in debt, I am just letting everyone considering the Carib know the reality of the situation instead of letting them believe in fantasies.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
This has nothing to do with prestige or the specialty, it has everything do with dissuading people on this site and everywhere from going carib, its just too much of a risk to take with the endless school expansion, if you can't make it to a USMD or USDO school you should honestly reconsider the career, the Caribbean is a terrible option and many many people have been burned trying to go that route, i suspect this will become the norm in the next 5-10 years as the competition gets stiffer. There are many carib grads who passed all their classes, passed their boards and still failed to match family med and are now $300,000 in debt, I am just letting everyone considering the Carib know the reality of the situation instead of letting them believe in fantasies.
Look at some schools in the US average student indebtedness. I agree this should not be a first choice but if you're going to say that someone who cannot be successful going that route your wrong. So advising people hey be aware x, y, z could happen is different then just bashing people. Who are you to say that if this is there only option that this is wrong for them? You don't know them, their drive, or there future.

Look at some schools in the US average student indebtedness. I agree this should not be a first choice but if you're going to say that someone who cannot be successful going that route your wrong. So advising people hey be aware x, y, z could happen is different then just bashing people. Who are you to say that if this is there only option that this is wrong for them? You don't know them, their drive, or there future.

It's all about the probability of you failing is way too high going to Carib school compared to that of US med schools, while both cost about the same.

Reactions: 2 users
Lowly DO who has the power to be the current ACGME chair head; lowly DO who has the power to be surgeon general of our military; lowly DO who holds professorship in Yale. It is a degree, not a person's identity. A Caribbean MD does not give you the excuse to predate on people who have statistically performed better than you throughout their academic lives. While you feel like you will be an equal to American MDs with a Caribbean MD, just so you know you never will be equal to them and DOs do not have to prove their equivalency to the MDs b/c it is a separate degree. The reason why the MD comparison comes so we can clarify what the difference between traditional medicine and osteopathic medicine is to show why DO is a Western medical degree. I can give one less crap about what MDs do. I would be a medical doctor regardless. Caribbean MDs have this tendency to down talk DOs while from the bottom of their heart they should know that in no way are they more qualified than a DO even though the open-hearted DOs will be the ones who will speak for your equivalency.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Lowly DO who has the power to be the current ACGME chair head; lowly DO who has the power to be surgeon general of our military; lowly DO who holds professorship in Yale. It is a degree, not a person's identity. A Caribbean MD does not give you the excuse to predate on people who have statistically performed better than you throughout their academic lives. While you feel like you will be an equal to American MDs with a Caribbean MD, just so you know you never will be equal to them and DOs do not have to prove their equivalency to the MDs b/c it is a separate degree. The reason why the MD comparison comes so we can clarify what the difference between traditional medicine and osteopathic medicine is to show why DO is a Western medical degree. I can give one less crap about what MDs do. I would be a medical doctor regardless. Caribbean MDs have this tendency to down talk DOs while from the bottom of their heart they should know that in no way are they more qualified than a DO even though the open-hearted DOs will be the ones who will speak for your equivalency.
Hahaha bruh chill I was being CLEARLY sarcastic, I am an OMS 2 currently and have absolutely nothing against the DO degree obviously.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Bro chill. It's very clearly sarcasm....

Reactions: 5 users
Just the fact that the Carib schools don't release their own statistics, and throws BS numbers around should be reason enough to keep you from taking these schools seriously. They claim the US-DO merger will help Carib schools OVER DO students, but for some reason there is NO statistic from them that backs up their claim. :unsure: In fact, all OTHER statistics point otherwise.

Funny how they don't show their own internal numbers... interesting...

It's like my "Canadian girlfriend" I had in high school who I saw every summer, but for some reason could not show any pictures or texts from because "she's shy." Something's fishy.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Just the fact that the Carib schools don't release their own statistics, and throws BS numbers around should be reason enough to keep you from taking these schools seriously. They claim the US-DO merger will help Carib schools OVER DO students, but for some reason there is NO statistic from them that backs up their claim. :unsure: In fact, all OTHER statistics point otherwise.

Funny how they don't show their own internal numbers... interesting...

It's like my "Canadian girlfriend" I had in high school who I saw every summer, but for some reason could not show any pictures or texts from because "she's shy." Something's fishy.
Hahaha Manti Teo????

The problem is that the Carib grads are assuming that when we dissuade pre-meds from going there, we are judging the grads from there. Dude, I have plenty of Carib grad friends (I also have plenty of friends that failed out too). They all recommend against going to the islands too. Its a hell of way to go.

Most (all?) of you that made it through could have gone DO, but a lot of you didn't try, because you wanted those letters. You would have ended up at the same or in a better spot than you are now. That said, it doesn't matter much to you, you got what you wanted. The problem is that the majority of your classmates didn't. Its not your fate that we're warning against, its their's.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that the Carib grads are assuming that when we dissuade pre-meds from going there, we are judging the grads from there. Dude, I have plenty of Carib grad friends (I also have plenty of friends that failed out too). They all recommend against going to the islands too. Its a hell of way to go.

Most (all?) of you that made it through could have gone DO, but a lot of you didn't try, because you wanted those letters. You would have ended up at the same or in a better spot than you are now. That said, it doesn't matter much to you, you got what you wanted. The problem is that the majority of your classmates didn't. Its not your fate that we're warning against, its their's.
I work with MD, DO from all over the world. And you will learn once you match your all equal. No one looks or questions where you graduated

I work with MD, DO from all over the world. And you will learn once you match your all equal. No one looks or questions where you graduated
No one is denying this it’s about the graduating and getting a residency part we are mainly talking about.

Agreed, therefore it’s a grave mistake to go to the Caribbean to pursue an MD degree over DO.

you just made an argument for not going carib. That’s the point. No one cares once you get there. Take the better bet to get to that point.

That was kind of my point... None of us have an axe to grind with Carib grads, you guys are our colleagues. The issue we have is the predatory nature of your schools. Just like we discourage DOs who can get into US MD from going DO, or DOs who can get into cheaper/more established DO schools from going to brand new or overpriced schools, we discourage premeds who can go DO from going to schools that will result in greater debt and worse outcomes.

Reactions: 10 users
Yeah, but the schools are predatory and make it way too hard to graduate. DOs and Caribs both face bias in the match but at most programs both parties are lumped into the same category in a best case scenario. Worst case (more common) scenario is that DOs are preferred over Caribbean grads. Not worth moving to a different country for most people.

Sure you get to have MD next to your name but your quoted post above is you stating it doesn’t matter, right? Anyone stupid enough to still care at that point doesn’t consider you a real MD anyway.

Yeah, but the schools are predatory and make it way too hard to graduate. DOs and Caribs both face bias in the match but at most programs both parties are lumped into the same category in a best case scenario. Worst case (more common) scenario is that DOs are preferred over Caribbean grads. Not worth moving to a different country for most people.

Sure you get to have MD next to your name but your quoted post above is you stating it doesn’t matter, right? Anyone stupid enough to still care at that point doesn’t consider you a real MD anyway.
Yea the latter is much more common, I often see many programs that have a few DO’s and no IMG’s, the IMG bias is way more real then the DO bias.

Yea the latter is much more common, I often see many programs that have a few DO’s and no IMG’s, the IMG bias is way more real then the DO bias.
I agree but I think the advantage DOs have over IMGs in the match is over-stated on SDN. There are programs that prefer IMGs over DOs. While a particular program may want one over the other, a lot just look at your app and see what else there is to forgive your lack of pedigree.

I agree but I think the advantage DOs have over IMGs in the match is over-stated on SDN. There are programs that prefer IMGs over DOs. While a particular program may want one over the other, a lot just look at your app and see what else there is to forgive your lack of pedigree.
You could be right, but I have heard that IMG's have to apply to many many more programs in the match then USMD and DO applicants, also the programs you are saying that take IMG's over DO are most definitely the "IMG sweatshops" in places like NY where no DO or USMD would want to train, even most low tier University or community programs in any specialty would take DO over IMG, possibly even DO's with lower board scores, and then there's the now former DO programs that will obviously prefer DO over IMG, I think IMG's overall have a tougher go at it.

I interviewed at at least one program like this. Has zero DOs and like half are IMGs (carib grads). This is family medicine btw

Many programs i looked at were the same. Like one had like 75% IMG/FMG, like one DO, and one USMD. Crazy.

I interviewed at at least one program like this. Has zero DOs and like half are IMGs (carib grads). This is family medicine btw

Many programs i looked at were the same. Like one had like 75% IMG/FMG, like one DO, and one USMD. Crazy.

At my stage, I’m now convinced that when the II comes the applicant is already pre-screened for fit.

It’s cool that the IMG sweatshops don’t want me.

That’s the textbook definition of IMG sweatshop, I assume your a USDO or MD, and these programs must be thrilled that you even bothered to apply to them.

That’s the textbook definition of IMG sweatshop, I assume your a USDO or MD, and these programs must be thrilled that you even bothered to apply to them.

Yes, USMD. I turned down the IV for many of these programs too. One was IMG-heavy, but imagine that was due to it being brand new and matched its first class last year. The others... well estbalished.

Got one to a former AOA program that has never had an MD before... i was the only one of 14 that was MD on interview day. I didnt know what to think of that either.

They’re not “sweatshops” just bc they have a lot of IMGs. They may be perfectly fine programs that just prefer IMGs over DOs. They do exist. My overall point is still going DO>>Carib for reasons I’ve already stated.

They’re not “sweatshops” just bc they have a lot of IMGs. They may be perfectly fine programs that just prefer IMGs over DOs. They do exist. My overall point is still going DO>>Carib for reasons I’ve already stated.

I agree. These programs didnt seem malignant. The one had a great work-life balance.

This is true. I personally know of an IM program where PD is an IMG and exclusively accepts IMG applicants, mostly from their own country. No DOs in the program. Not a perfectly fine program as my son has rotated through it. Another example of maintaining poor clinical sites despite poor reviews by students. This happens in both MD and DO schools.

Me and 3 of my friends graduated in 2017 from SGU 2 are anesthesiologists, I am in radiology and the other is internal medicine.

See “NAXALT” fallacy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This discussion will never go away. Carib schools will exist and thrive precisely because there are people that will fall for the scam.

This discussion will never go away. Carib schools will exist and thrive precisely because there are people that will fall for the scam.
Maybe so, but can we at least stop humoring it on SDN? It's been done to death

I've been doing research and asking current MD and DO doctors and even current med students and I really don't know which route to go. Can anyone please help me by giving me some advice?
Send them all the pix of ur fake smile holding a glass of wine and find out which is better

The hardest part about being a carribean student is securing decent rotation spots. With the new P/F step 1, clinicals become more important than ever. IMGs are getting squeezed out.

Found this gold on utube. The dude went to St. George btw.

• Haha
Found this gold on utube. The dude went to St. George btw.

Hey maybe his personal experience does reflect IMG>DO. Some older docs tried to convince me of the same.

But there’s literally objective data that refutes his statements. The type of person who doesn’t do <90 seconds of research into a topic and instead makes a YouTube video to curse out the interwebz and records it while driving is exactly the personality type that PD’s try to avoid by not interviewing them.

16FD088B-1EEB-4BE7-9C6C-C630D0EE04E0.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hey maybe his personal experience does reflect IMG>DO. Some older docs tried to convince me of the same.

But there’s literally objective data that refutes his statements. The type of person who doesn’t do <90 seconds of research into a topic and instead makes a YouTube video to curse out the interwebz and records it while driving is exactly the personality type that PD’s try to avoid by not interviewing them.

View attachment 297365

Wow, so the Caribbeans have it better than FMGs? Also, the dude made a "DO vs MD" video which gathered quite a lot of backlash so he made this video to reinstate his point, which is just the same point conveyed in a lesser mannered-way compared to that of the first video lol.

Lolololol This is one die-hard IMG

7CEBA8CD-2733-4168-B469-8A92F6958288.jpeg
02F7D43F-FE41-4262-A95C-A72C07F913B8.jpeg

Massive number of residency options...in PM, Path, Psych, Peds, and IM...just like, wait for it, DOs! Except the iMGs are much more likely to end up in a sweatshop or malignant program.

"Match rate is done by the AMA" Hmmm...OK, time for a psych consult there. Maybe he should have said "AOA?"

I've been doing research and asking current MD and DO doctors and even current med students and I really don't know which route to go. Can anyone please help me by giving me some advice?
The Step one exam is now Pass/Fail. This may change where you would like to go.

Massive number of residency options...in PM, Path, Psych, Peds, and IM...just like, wait for it, DOs! Except the iMGs are much more likely to end up in a sweatshop or malignant program.

"Match rate is done by the AMA" Hmmm...OK, time for a psych consult there. Maybe he should have said "AOA?"
I wonder what Center of Excellence matched him?;)

• Haha
I wonder what Center of Excellence matched him?;)
He trained at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. Also, he went to St Matthew's University in Belize, and he's preaching people to go to the big 4 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.