US electives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thrombin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm an IMG and I wanted to do a few electives in the US, at this point I'm interested in Surgery, as for my first elective I was wondering what I should do it in? Basically I want to get a feel for the US medical system and how things work being that it is different from my med school. I was thinking of doing an Emergency Medicine elective before actually jumping into a surgery elective that I don't want to mess up in being that I'm interested in surgery. EM incorporates all of medicine and some parts of surgery, do you think thats a good first elective?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you should do the specialty you are interested it in second because then you would have gotten used to the system and come across as more impressive. I did ICU and medicine. It took me the first week or so in ICU to get used to the rounds, patient notes, etc so that when I moved to medicine I was a lot more settled in and confident.

Yes you should do the specialty you are interested it in second because then you would have gotten used to the system and come across as more impressive. I did ICU and medicine. It took me the first week or so in ICU to get used to the rounds, patient notes, etc so that when I moved to medicine I was a lot more settled in and confident.

Can we IMGs or US-IMGs do core rotations beside electives?

I hear the main pt of US electives is to get LORs, so I guess you're right we need to come as more impressive, or maybe as impressive as AMGs, to get good LORs??

Can we IMGs or US-IMGs do core rotations beside electives?

In general, the answer is no unless your school has a formal rotation agreement with a particular US program for Core Rotations.

I hear the main pt of US electives is to get LORs, so I guess you're right we need to come as more impressive, or maybe as impressive as AMGs, to get good LORs??

That would be accurate.