US Med School with Foreign Undergrad Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amdocahe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, everyone! I've been spending a lot of time lurking on the forum and looking for advice. Here's my situation:

I'll be graduating from a university in the Philippines with a degree in Health Sciences this upcoming May. I'll be migrating to the US soon after. I'm a permanent resident and I really want to get into a med school there. I have a few questions:

1) How do I go about getting my foreign transcript evaluated? I was thinking of getting WES to evaluate my transcript but I don't know how to go about it exactly. I heard AMCAs won't bother to look at my foreign coursework anyway. Also, do I request for a transcript exemption?

2) Which route would be more beneficial?
A. Rolling my credits and taking the classes I lack so I can get a second degree
(though I heard this is pretty difficult)
B. Taking the prerequisites and a few more undergrad classes so I can reach the 90 units
C. Taking the prerequisites + postbacc​

Thank you all so much for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For transcript:
The AMCAS won't verify any foreign transcript even if it's evaluated by WES. I personally listed all foreign courses into the AMCAS and left them unverified, just to let schools know what courses I have taken. That being said, I did not send any foreign transcript/WES evaluation to the AMCAS, nor did I request anything from them.
Some schools themselves require WES evaluation during the application. Most schools require you to send an official transcript after you got accepted, but I'm not sure if that needs to be WES evaluated. So I suggest get your transcript evaluated by WES in case some schools need it.