US News 2006 Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pinkertinkle said:
4. No one except for a few texans even know UT exists. At all. No one.

lol :thumbup:

No seriously, I'm from California and when i interviewed at TX schools I never knew there were so many UT schools. I thought there was only one main college which was TEXAS (the school that played in the RoseBowl :laugh: )

Members don't see this ad.

While on the subject of US News ranking criteria, I think that there could be some other quantitative data that would improve their system. For instance, in the law school rankings they track the bar passage rate; I think US News could use the USMLE exams in a similar fashion (e.g., average score or passage rate). Another variant could be the average match for residency, such as an average of what choice number graduates receive. Of course, ranking systems will always be an inherently imperfect science -- and these factors could also be manipulated to an extent to look good on paper -- so even adding a few more components won't be complete.

Larsitron said:
While I understand where you're coming from, this person isn't reading the rankings to find out how they feel about the school. Rather, residency program directors are the ones being surveyed for the rankings themselves. And when you're surveying the number of residency directors that they do (I'm presuming at least all the ranked schools if not a huge chunk of the residency programs in other places) I'd say that's a fairly good measure for people wanting to get information from the rankings.

I agree that it's subjective, but done right, it can provide a data point for those of us outside their doors to understand a little of how they (the residency directors) are thinking.

Edit: To clarify, Superdevil wasn't implying that residency directors get their info from the rankings. I was just pointing out that when you survey enough residency directors on a scale of 1-5, you can sort of get a feel for how they view the school. You're right that it's inherently subjective, but if I'm picking a school, I want to know what the subjective thinking is too.

excellent post larsitron; this is precisely what i was under the impression rankings are for; the quantitative stuff one can find out on their own; that said, maybe there isnt enough non-quant in the rankings to give a true picture.
On this same note, do you know how to find out who residency directors are? i.e if I ultimately want to do a residency somewhere and I want to know what they think of the two schools im deciding between is it possible to find the contact info of residency directors at hospital/school x? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haybrant said:
On this same note, do you know how to find out who residency directors are? i.e if I ultimately want to do a residency somewhere and I want to know what they think of the two schools im deciding between is it possible to find the contact info of residency directors at hospital/school x? Thanks!
i think at most med centers associated with med schools, you can go to the med school's web site and find a section for "continuing medical education". follow the link to the different kinds of programs they have, and pick one. usually, the program director will be listed somewhere on the first page. in my experience, its no different than finding out who the chair of an academic dept at a med school is.

also, to continue a previous discussion: thanks for all the good posts, guys (re: what the residency director rankings are all about). i realize that this factor of the rankings is one of the most--if not the most--important part of the rankings in terms of their utility to us. my only assertion is that the differences between the peer assessment rankings among different schools don't mean as much to me personally as other factors. what do i mean by that? ok, for schools ranked 10 spaces apart, let's say that the highest school's peer assessment score is "3.9", and the lowest is "3.6". that doesn't really tell me much other than "on average, people think school A's grads are slightly better that school B's grads." now, the highest ranked school of this set may have 70-80 million more in grant money than the lowest (sorry about the make-believe numbers; i don't have a copy of the rankings). as someone interested in research, this seems like it has a more tangible, immediate impact on my educational opportunities at a given school.

my point? i'll grant the sentiment that residency director/peer assessment of a given school would be the single most important type of data to make our decisions by, but i just don't think the USNews rankings are a very user-friendly model by which to draw these conclusions.

While its true that the opinion of residency directors of medical schools is important, when the response rate of the US News surveys is ~30% you have to question the validity.

I agree that avg USMLE score and avg match should be statistics they use that would more accurately validate how the schools do in teaching the basics of medicine and how the students perform in the match. You wouldnt have to worry about poor survey response rate, etc. It would be a more quantatative measure.

scootad. said:
While its true that the opinion of residency directors of medical schools is important, when the response rate of the US News surveys is ~30% you have to question the validity.

I agree that avg USMLE score and avg match should be statistics they use that would more accurately validate how the schools do in teaching the basics of medicine and how the students perform in the match. You wouldnt have to worry about poor survey response rate, etc. It would be a more quantatative measure.
agree 100%. poor response rate (and 30% is really poor) could skew the data. i also think average board scores would be a nice addition to the criteria.

superdevil said:
agree 100%. poor response rate (and 30% is really poor) could skew the data. i also think average board scores would be a nice addition to the criteria.

I agree that the reponse rate is a problem. But I dont think board scores should be a criteria in the rankings because there are schools that give 100% multiple choice, board style exams all 4 years (e.g. Northwestern) that are geard specifically for high board scores. There is nothing wrong with this but you shouldnt penalize a school with a different type of curriculum/test format that might be more essay format. For instance, harvard's board scores are lower than others but I am sure they get a very good education

housemd said:
For instance, harvard's board scores are lower than others but I am sure they get a very good education....

That's not what I hear. But then again, I am just bitter for being unceremoniously rejected with a generic rejection letter that they sent to even those that didn't interview. Yeah, maybe I am just bitter. What does the residency director I spoke with know anyway?

GuyLaroche said:
That's not what I hear. But then again, I am just bitter for being unceremoniously rejected with a generic rejection letter that they sent to even those that didn't interview. Yeah, maybe I am just bitter. What does the residency director I spoke with know anyway?

At least it was a nice letter :)

Pinkertinkle said:

Ouch! :laugh:

housemd said:
But I dont think board scores should be a criteria in the rankings because there are schools that give 100% multiple choice, board style exams all 4 years (e.g. Northwestern) that are geard specifically for high board scores. There is nothing wrong with this but you shouldnt penalize a school with a different type of curriculum/test format that might be more essay format.
well, perhaps you and i have different priorities/expectations regarding the selection of a med school. personally, i want to go to a school that offers "board-style" exams and prepares the students as best as possible for the boards. therefore, if i'm using the USNews rankings as a measure to compare other schools and make my selection (which is what we're talking about, right?), i would "penalize" a school that doesn't tailor their exams to prepare their students for the USMLE exams. if adding this element to the rankings reflects a school's ability to ready their students for Step 1, then i personally would be pleased.

you are right that people at harvard/etc who score slightly lower on the boards than similarly-ranked schools also receive an outstanding education, but its a priority of mine to ace the boards (do i sound like a gunner yet? :D ).

oh well, different strokes for different folks, ya know.

usnews should be out this time next wk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pinkertinkle said:

If you keep track of collegiate athletics you probably know. And weren't we like #15 on that list of top international schools?

regardless. I want to strangle you with..hugs...?

SitraAchra said:
regardless. I want to strangle you.

Violence against women - is that what they teach you at the Texan schools? I can't say I'm surprised.

Ok admittedly the $1 drinks downtown got to me last night. I have never hurt a fly, especially a lady :D .

But still - no hating on UT!

Pinkertinkle said:

You're an a$$ dude. I'm not so self-important that I try to make every thread about Texas/UT. I got into berkeley (from out of state), it's not that hard. You want to talk about number-whoring? It's all the SAT there. Berkeley sucks.

I'm sorry I posted that b/c it actually gives berkeley attention, but whatever

All your posts are just mean, uninformative, pathetic attempts to be funny. Does it make you feel big to make fun of others on the internet?

[Edited to add a personal attack]

getunconcsious said:
You're an a$$ dude. I'm not so self-important that I try to make every thread about Texas/UT. I got into berkeley (from out of state), it's not that hard. You want to talk about number-whoring? It's all the SAT there. Berkeley sucks.

I'm sorry I posted that b/c it actually gives berkeley attention, but whatever

All your posts are just mean, uninformative, pathetic attempts to be funny. Does it make you feel big to make fun of others on the internet?

does it make your a$$ feel big to tell us you got in to cal and decided not to attend?
perhaps if you chose to come to berkeley and challenged yourself you wouldnt have been shot down by all those schools

[Edited to add a scathing personal attack]

getunconcsious said:
I got into berkeley (from out of state), it's not that hard. You want to talk about number-whoring? It's all the SAT there. Berkeley sucks.

:laugh:

Berkeley turns down thousands of applicants with 1400+ SAT each year. If Berkeley is "number-whoring", we can easily accept a class with average 1450+ SAT.

So..you got into berkeley, and it's not that hard to get in huh? Are you admitting you're a dumbxss, and that EVEN YOU got into cal? :laugh:

I will only remember berkeley for their loss to Tech in the Burnt Scrotum Bowl, giving us the spot to win the Rose Bowl as it rightfully should be.

SitraAchra said:
I will only remember berkeley for their loss to Tech in the Burnt Scrotum Bowl, giving us the spot to win the Rose Bowl as it rightfully should be.

:laugh: fair enough, fair enough. hey, if we got screwed at the no.5 bcs spot two years in a row, id hope the polls would show pity and let us into the rose bowl too!

lakersfan said:
haha, yes...for screwing their undergrads. I kind of hope Cal falls since it's not as good a school as most people (especially those on the east coast ) think.

But honestly speaking, if I were to help one out with choosing a college now, I would not recommend Berkeley. I wont get into the details, but the lack of attention and care shown for the students by the administration/faculty is amazing. I had a horrible incident this past semester with the molecular cell bio deparment at Cal and would never recommend the school to anyone. So for any of those southern californian high school students thinking Berkeley would be a good place to go to, go to UCLA or USC (or Stanford if you're lucky/smart enough to get in). USC has more connections and UCLA is at least in a much much nicer area. People, especially the faculty, in Berkeley are so full of themselves that they will never admit it if they are wrong. There is a better school across the a bay that actually cares for its students unlike Berkeley. Yes, I'm really really mad at the MCB department at Cal.

Berkeley definitely is a sink or swim type of place. I take it you're not much of a swimmer? What exactly happened to you?

There is some love missing here between californians and Texans. I am a califonian born and raised but I must say i bleed orange for UT. Seriously schools in both states are hard to get into and good.

Lets be honest.. If you are smart enough to get into med school you can get into UT or Berkeley.

In the end you guys will see how little your undergrad matters once you start med school. No one cares in med school it is time to put up or shut up!

BTW as far as football goes everyone knows the best CFB team of the past 25 years is the University of Miami, which BTW has the best HS football in the country in its backyard. Best football state is Florida by FAR!

relema said:
There is some love missing here between californians and Texans. I am a califonian born and raised but I must say i bleed orange for UT. Seriously schools in both states are hard to get into and good.

I agree - I have no hate for Cal [except regarding this year's football dealings]. Other than that, my friends that go to Cal are all smart and I think it's a fine school. I guess some people want to be agitators and talk smack about the 3rd largest college in the country.

EctopicFetus said:
BTW as far as football goes everyone knows the best CFB team of the past 25 years is the University of Miami, which BTW has the best HS football in the country in its backyard. Best football state is Florida by FAR!

I'm gonna say Texas has better highschool football. I haven't seen Florida's scene so I can't compare, but I think we take it seriously on a different level. As far as College level, I think you're right.

But keep in mind how many good college teams Texas is supplying with our highschools: Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, Tech, Oklahoma State, LSU

Haybrant said:
does it make your a$$ feel big to tell us you got in to cal and decided not to attend?
perhaps if you chose to come to berkeley and challenged yourself you wouldnt have been shot down by all those schools

[Edited to add a scathing personal attack]

No, I'm just showing that berkeley's overrated. But my real thesis is that people from there think it's so important that they feel compelled to talk about it all the time even though it has nothing to do with the original topic.

Challenged myself? Please! :laugh: Any program called 'integrative biology' can't possibly be that hard. When I saw the school, people were just chillin smoking pot in sather quad. Not exactly what i was looking for in a university.

Sitra,

How about the colleges Florida supplies? Beyond the big 3, Florida players are all over the east coast. Also, a little FYI Louisiana actually has the most Pro football players per capita in the nation so I think La supplies LSUs players.

Texas football is pretty good with lots of good players. The real problem there is the coach. Sorry to tell you but Mack is an awful coach!

GO CANES!!

When the US News rankings come out next week, consider this op-ed that was printed in the New York Times last year by University of Chicago economist Austan Goolsbee:
How Rankings Rate

New York Times
April 12, 2004
By Austan Goolsbee

From best-selling book lists to Zagat dinner recommendations to David Letterman's top 10, it's clear that Americans love rankings. Little surprise, then, that the release this month of U.S. News & World Report's annual ratings of the nation's graduate schools has prospective students swarming newsstands for advice on where to go. The list has an undeniably huge impact. Applications typically soar at universities that get top marks; some state governments even use the rankings to help them decide how much money to give to their universities.

Critics argue that rankings like these try to quantify the unquantifiable - that variables used to measure quality are often flawed and incomplete. But the often overlooked, and perhaps more troubling, problem is that the average person who uses these rankings may not understand basic statistics. If he did, he would know that even if all the right variables were included, once he got past the top spots, the distinctions between schools (or restaurants or places to retire) are often meaningless.

Take a look at the sales ranking data at Amazon.com. I once needed a publication, a World Bank technical paper on the regulatory environment in Bulgaria. The demand for technical working papers on Bulgaria being what it is, the publication's Amazon sales rank was extremely low (about 2.5 million down on the list). Yet after I bought it, a most amazing thing happened. My one purchase moved this working paper past almost one million other books. This happened because once buyers get out of the best sellers -where the difference in sales can be enormous - almost everything else is basically tied. The differences in rank are statistically meaningless, and small blips cause big changes.

This same is true for the rankings of all sorts of things.

In the New York City Zagat guide, for example, a restaurant that raised its food rating by three points would pass 50 restaurants if it went from 25 to 28 (from "excellent" to "extraordinary"), but 439 establishments if it went from 19 to 22 (both considered "very good").

Then there are the education rankings. For the large mass of schools that rate in the middle of lists like U.S. News & World Report's, rankings are extremely sensitive to small blips. Any criteria included in a survey, like undergraduate grade point average or percentage of applicants accepted, will have random variations over time.

This is perfectly normal. These fluctuations, though, cause the rankings of schools in the middle to move all over the place. It's why schools at the top seldom move more than a place or two, but the Tippie College of Business at the University of Iowa can move up five spots one year and down 18 the next (which is what just happened).

This sensitivity to small changes also tends to encourage bad behavior among university administrators. Some, for example, no longer report foreign students' verbal scores on standardized admissions tests to get an overall better result, or have wait-listed candidates that are likely to turn their schools down so their university looks more selective. These things may raise measured performance a tiny bit, but tiny bits can mean a lot when everyone is clustered in the middle.

The lessons are pretty obvious: outside the very top, be careful about basing decisions on rankings data. The differences are often statistically meaningless. If possible, whether you're interested in schools or restaurants, look at the last several surveys, instead of just the most recent one, since random blips tend to average out over time. Certainly don't pick a Chinese restaurant tonight because its rating is 20 versus another's 19.

For those who really can't get enough, it's now possible to find rankings of the rankings. U.S. News & World Report may get lots of attention, but as of last week its "Ultimate College Directory" for 2004 had an Amazon sales rank of 22,305, worse than the Intercollegiate Studies Institute's "Choosing the Right College 2004" at 19,752.

How is a rankings addict to choose? Next time, perhaps, you would do well to consider an alternative: the informative (and surprisingly popular) "Cartoon Guide to Statistics." Its sales rank is 8,600. •

--
Austan Goolsbee is a professor of economics at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business.​

im from fl and i think that we defintitely put the best football players out there on the college and pro level. however, the texas football scene has us beat by far. they have 15-20000 capacity stadiums for hs games all over the place. i can only think of two places in florida that have games that accomodate that many fans on a regualr basis. texas has the hs football scene for sure. it doesn't mean they are the best though. im not a south florida guy, but i would have to say south florida (some of those schools around the everglades) produce the best football players per capita of anyplace in the country. both places are great breeding grounds for future college and nfl stars.

Someone pass me some of that Haterade too. I have to say that the most self important people come from three states. California, New York, and Texas. If people from all three states got in a brawl who do you think would come out on top? I guess football is a civilized way of figuring that question out.

getunconcsious said:
No, I'm just showing that berkeley's overrated. But my real thesis is that people from there think it's so important that they feel compelled to talk about it all the time even though it has nothing to do with the original topic.

Challenged myself? Please! :laugh: Any program called 'integrative biology' can't possibly be that hard. When I saw the school, people were just chillin smoking pot in sather quad. Not exactly what i was looking for in a university.

I'm going to tread carefully, as I do have much respect for a (hopefully, as long as UTSW doesn't get ya) future classmate. That said, you did go to U of H, located in one of the most lovable ghettos in Houston. I take it that good access to crack was more of what you were looking for in an institution? Don't go blowing out your front teeth...

AJ

EctopicFetus said:
Sitra,

How about the colleges Florida supplies? Beyond the big 3, Florida players are all over the east coast. Also, a little FYI Louisiana actually has the most Pro football players per capita in the nation so I think La supplies LSUs players.

Texas football is pretty good with lots of good players. The real problem there is the coach. Sorry to tell you but Mack is an awful coach!

GO CANES!!

Yeah, Mack could be better, especially with those OU a-holes. But there's no easy fix. It's not like great college coaches are just floating around. Mack is great at doing JUST good enough to get by. And we're a hard bunch to please, so the year we beat OU is the year we win the championships, in my not so humble opinion.

sdnstud said:
:laugh:

Berkeley turns down thousands of applicants with 1400+ SAT each year. If Berkeley is "number-whoring", we can easily accept a class with average 1450+ SAT.

So..you got into berkeley, and it's not that hard to get in huh? Are you admitting you're a dumbxss, and that EVEN YOU got into cal? :laugh:

berkeley avrg sat is 1300, ucla is 1250, and usc is 1350. did u guys know that usc accepted students have average higher sat and gpa than berkeley? thats amazing. Also to all you ucb bashers, UT HAS NOTHING ON CAL. IS UT EVEN IN THE TOP 100 RANKINGS? I DO KNW UCB IS #1 PUBLIC SCHOOL THOUGH, SO YOU ALL CANT SAY SQAUT BOUT UCB..

UCDavisdude said:
berkeley avrg sat is 1300, ucla is 1250, and usc is 1350. did u guys know that usc accepted students have average higher sat and gpa than berkeley? thats amazing. Also to all you ucb bashers, UT HAS NOTHING ON CAL. IS UT EVEN IN THE TOP 100 RANKINGS? I DO KNW UCB IS #1 PUBLIC SCHOOL THOUGH, SO YOU ALL CANT SAY SQAUT BOUT UCB..

Weird how UCLA rejected my ass and Berkeley accepted me with my less than their average SATs. Applying to college is a bit of a crap shoot too.

UCDavisdude said:
UT HAS NOTHING ON CAL. IS UT EVEN IN THE TOP 100 RANKINGS? I DO KNW UCB IS #1 PUBLIC SCHOOL THOUGH, SO YOU ALL CANT SAY SQAUT BOUT UCB..

<Ahem>: http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,157854,00.jpg

God rankings. Shoot me. UCB is ranked #2 in this one but UTA is ranked #15 in these world ranking that came out this year. This was put out by the UK times and not US News, so some of you slaves to US news might not agree (UT hovers around #40 in USN). Rankings all depend on the criteria you use. Anyway if any of you ever came to Austin and could see how cool this place is you'd see why we love it here so much. Lots of nature, great live music and club scene, SXSW, cheap cost of living, not as congested dirty and crowded as NYC or SF, beautiful southern women, and most importantly people here are just alot nicer than you.

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2004/top500(1-100).htm

UT_mikie said:

God rankings. Shoot me. UCB is ranked #2 in this one but UTA is ranked #15 in these world ranking that came out this year. This was put out by the UK times and not US News, so some of you slaves to US news might not agree (UT hovers around #40 in USN). Rankings all depend on the criteria you use. Anyway if any of you ever came to Austin and could see how cool this place is you'd see why we love it here so much. Lots of nature, great live music and club scene, SXSW, cheap cost of living, not as congested dirty and crowded as NYC or SF, beautiful southern women, and most importantly people here are just alot nicer than you.

Amen! Plus we don't need to type in capital letters to make a statement.

UT_mikie said:

wow, its 40 overall in usnews? thats including private and public correct?if so, thats actually pretty good

UT_mikie said:

I tend to disagree about "people here are just alot nicer than you." I've lived in Texas all of my life and, because I'm gay, I have been discriminated against to the WORST possible extent...I have seen this happen to African Americans and, to a greater extent, Mexican Americans...to women, to the disabled...basically anyone who isn't a WASP male. Texas has its head so far up its own ass it's not even funny. Just thought I would add my two cents...after going to California for a summer I believe the people there are much friendlier and more accepting...but it might just be because they are more liberal. :confused:

Prophecies said:
I tend to disagree about "people here are just alot nicer than you." I've lived in Texas all of my life and, because I'm gay, I have been discriminated against to the WORST possible extent...I have seen this happen to African Americans and, to a greater extent, Mexican Americans...to women, to the disabled...basically anyone who isn't a WASP male. Texas has its head so far up its own ass it's not even funny. Just thought I would add my two cents...after going to California for a summer I believe the people there are much friendlier and more accepting...but it might just be because they are more liberal. :confused:

Hey, that's too bad, Prophecies. Do you think you will run into some of these issues as a student at UTSW? From students? Faculty?

Prophecies said:
I tend to disagree about "people here are just alot nicer than you." I've lived in Texas all of my life and, because I'm gay, I have been discriminated against to the WORST possible extent...I have seen this happen to African Americans and, to a greater extent, Mexican Americans. Texas has its head so far up its own ass it's not even funny. Just thought I would add my two cents...after going to California for a summer I believe the people there are much friendlier and more accepting.

This is what I have learned living in both states for a good deal of time. In cali everyone is laid back and overall very accepting. However if you have a southern accent you will be teased, I saw this happen a lot in high school. Socal always was more laid back for me than northern california and the people very friendly. Texas depending on the area can be very friendly. Austin is is one of the friendliest cities. I think is just second to san franscisco in openess to the gay population . I loved that city, it is the only city that has a cross dressing homeless man run for mayor and actually get support from the community. Houston seems friendly to me as a big city. Dallas has its ups and downs by far the least friendly i have lived in Texas. Not to say that it is bad just very uptight and upidity and way to conservative. I think that either state you go to you will find friendly people and people who are mean and judgemental.

Sparky Man said:
Hey, that's too bad, Prophecies. Did you think you will run into some of these issues as a student at UTSW? From students? Faculty?
I don't think from faculty, but probably from students...the title "medical student" usually doesn't imply maturity. The sad thing is that I've gotten so used to the way everyone treats everyone else that it doesn't bother me...it is expected.

I grew up in a small, podunk town outside of Dallas so that might have something to do with it, but I felt the same way when I would go into Dallas to relax and stuff. Austin isn't AS bad, but it is still far worse than anything you will find in CA. But yeah...stupid Texas :)

And to the previous poster, there is a BIG difference between making fun of someone because of an accent and making fun of someone based upon their orientation, gender, race, or disability... ... ...

Prophecies said:
I don't think from faculty, but probably from students...the title "medical student" usually doesn't imply maturity. The sad thing is that I've gotten so used to the way everyone treats everyone else that it doesn't bother me...it is expected.

I grew up in a small, podunk town outside of Dallas so that might have something to do with it, but I felt the same way when I would go into Dallas to relax and stuff. Austin isn't AS bad, but it is still far worse than anything you will find in CA. But yeah...stupid Texas :)

And to the previous poster, there is a BIG difference between making fun of someone because of an accent and making fun of someone based upon their orientation, gender, race, or disability... ... ...

then you have not been to the central valley of california cause austin is so much more liberal and accepting than there.

Prophecies said:
probably from students...the title "medical student" usually doesn't imply maturity. The sad thing is that I've gotten so used to the way everyone treats everyone else that it doesn't bother me...it is expected.

Yeah, I noticed a big difference when I moved from the fairly conservative agricultural community I grew up in to graduate school in the northeast. When I visited UTSW, I had a wonderful time talking with the faculty, but I was worried that the student body was more, hmmm, well, narrow than I would find at other schools. I'm not trying to make a sweeping statement that UTSW has bigoted students, in fact I think it's a wonderful top-notch school and I really liked the people I met on interview day. Just in comparison to other places, it is a slightly different environment.

relema said:
then you have not been to the central valley of california cause austin is so much more liberal and accepting than there.

So true...

Sparky Man said:
So true...

Word to that.

I grew up in central CA and (in many respects) it is not a tolerant place. I can't say much about Austin, not having been there--but central CA is not the coolest place, in my opinion.

Sparky Man said:
Yeah, I noticed a big difference when I moved from the fairly conservative agricultural community I grew up in to graduate school in the northeast. When I visited UTSW, I had a wonderful time talking with the faculty, but I was worried that the student body was more, hmmm, well, narrow than I would find at other schools. I'm not trying to make a sweeping statement that UTSW has bigoted students, in fact I think it's a wonderful top-notch school and I really liked the people I met on interview day. Just in comparison to other places, it is a slightly different environment.

I work at UTSW at a lab and my best friend from undergrad is a med student there. I was actually suprised at the wide range of people who go to school there. I have met some really cool people there but the stress level is pretty high and they are very competative. Since it is a Texas school it is mostly Texas people so in that sense it is a narrow body of students.The biggest turn off is not the school but the city of Dallas is a little too snobby and for someone who doesn,t like to dress up or buy expensive things, or go to church the city can make you feel very inadequate.

Tra La La said:
Word to that.

I grew up in central CA and (in many respects) it is not a tolerant place. I can't say much about Austin, not having been there--but central CA is not the coolest place, in my opinion.

what city did you grow up in ?

UCDavisdude said:

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but here's a funny joke:

Q: What do all Cal and Davis students share in common?

A: They all got into Davis.