US News 2006 Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
relema said:
what city did you grow up in ?

Mostly Fresno. Born and raised.

And you?

Members don't see this ad.

Tra La La said:
Mostly Fresno. Born and raised.

And you?

Born and raised in good old bakersfield, the armpit of califonia:)

relema said:
Born and raised in good old bakersfield, the armpit of califonia:)

Geographically, I've always thought of Fresno as being CA's armpit--and Bakersfield as CA's butthole. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Tra La La said:
Geographically, I've always thought of Fresno as being CA's armpit--and Bakersfield as CA's butthole. :)

:( sad but i can agree with that, though at times i miss the place.

relema said:
:( sad but i can agree with that, though at times i miss the place.

I didn't mean it as an insult. Let's say that both Fresno and Bakersfield are armpits. :rolleyes:

But like you, I also miss my home town sometimes.

Tra La La said:
I didn't mean it as an insult. Let's say that both Fresno and Bakersfield are armpits. :rolleyes:

But like you, I also miss my home town sometimes.

Agreed, no insult taken, cause who can not help loving the central valley :love:

Tra La La said:

Oh man, that's hilarious. I'm from a smaller town near Fres-hole.

relema said:
I work at UTSW at a lab and my best friend from undergrad is a med student there. I was actually suprised at the wide range of people who go to school there. I have met some really cool people there but the stress level is pretty high and they are very competative. Since it is a Texas school it is mostly Texas people so in that sense it is a narrow body of students.The biggest turn off is not the school but the city of Dallas is a little too snobby and for someone who doesn,t like to dress up or buy expensive things, or go to church the city can make you feel very inadequate.

I can vouch for your impression of Dallas. I hope the school isn't that bad since there is a good chance that's where I'm headed.

heeter said:
I can vouch for your impression of Dallas. I hope the school isn't that bad since there is a good chance that's where I'm headed.

Most people i know that go there, like it.I have met some really great friends while working there. I think that meeting people and making friends can make any place okay to live in.
I take a weird sense of joy in dressing down and wearing flip flops around uptown in Dallas. The looks you get are priceless almost like you have dog poop on you or something.

relema said:
Most people i know that go there, like it.I have met some really great friends while working there. I think that meeting people and making friends can make any place okay to live in.
I take a weird sense of joy in dressing down and wearing flip flops around uptown in Dallas. The looks you get are priceless almost like you have dog poop on you or something.

Do you live in uptown? If so, is it reasonable rentwise? I'd like to live someplace where I can walk to a coffeeshop or bar and uptown fits the bill. There are alot of tanned-up, cheesy professional types, though.

heeter said:
Do you live in uptown? If so, is it reasonable rentwise? I'd like to live someplace where I can walk to a coffeeshop or bar and uptown fits the bill. There are alot of tanned-up, cheesy professional types, though.
I live a bit above SMU and my rent is very resonable and I have a lake view. However there is not much to walk to, just a dave and busters down the street. Uptown is very pricy. I would live around knox henderson area if you want to be able to walk to stuff, bars ect. It is cheaper to live in that area than uptown. The area is more laid back too. My friend lives in a large one bedroom just below knox henderson for $650 and we walked to all sorts of bars from her place.

relema said:
I live a bit above SMU and my rent is very resonable and I have a lake view. However there is not much to walk to, just a dave and busters down the street. Uptown is very pricy. I would live around knox henderson area if you want to be able to walk to stuff, bars ect. It is cheaper to live in that area than uptown. The area is more laid back too. My friend lives in a large one bedroom just below knox henderson for $650 and we walked to all sorts of bars from her place.

That is music to my ears... My buddy lives in one of the Post properties (new urban knockoff apts w/ a starbucks at street level) off McKinney and his rent is freaking outrageous. He gets to walk to all the snooty bars nearby (he loves that stuff) so its good for him but christ it is overpriced.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find mockingbird station silly. I don't care for the Dallas night life when compared to Austin. But for shopping Dallas can't be beat.

SitraAchra said:
I find mockingbird station silly. I don't care for the Dallas night life when compared to Austin. But for shopping Dallas can't be beat.

Mockingbird Station is silly. It tries so hard to be upscale but fails. What Dallas needs is a couple Alamo Drafthouse Theaters and its credit card revoked. After the lease on its Mercedes runs out and its 2nd wife leaves them for the pool guy, Dallas is gonna realize it has lived beyond its means.

heeter said:
Mockingbird Station is silly. It tries so hard to be upscale but fails. What Dallas needs is a couple Alamo Drafthouse Theaters and its credit card revoked. After the lease on its Mercedes runs out and its 2nd wife leaves them for the pool guy, Dallas is gonna realize it has lived beyond its means.

:laugh: :laugh: so true!

Of course, I'm from Plano. It's like there's a filter as you drive north up 75, and only the most detested of people you listed are allowed through! Thank god college gave me the chance to live outside the Plano bubble. WOW I'm different now than I was in highschool.

I love seeing all the sorority girls and frat boys from SMU at mockingbird station trying to act cool and sophisticated - it's so disgustingly fake.

SitraAchra said:

I agree the night life here is ehhh not so great but i find the shopping better in houston.

heeter said:

You by far have painted the most accurate picture yet :laugh:

getunconcsious said:
No, I'm just showing that berkeley's overrated. But my real thesis is that people from there think it's so important that they feel compelled to talk about it all the time even though it has nothing to do with the original topic.

Challenged myself? Please! :laugh: Any program called 'integrative biology' can't possibly be that hard. When I saw the school, people were just chillin smoking pot in sather quad. Not exactly what i was looking for in a university.

no wonder why you got into cal, you applied as an IB major; may as well have done women's studies or something. IB is a pretty watered down major and there are very few premeds in that. Anyway, look, im not saying that it's very difficult to get into Cal, most people arent claiming that. But the fact that you are basing your argument on your perception that people from cal think it is important and they bring it up in discussions is about as myopic an argument Ive heard.
I dont know on what grounds you claim Cal is overrated; the fact that you got in and decided not to go makes it overrated? You certainly learn great logic at UTH.

Prophecies said:
I tend to disagree about "people here are just alot nicer than you." I've lived in Texas all of my life and, because I'm gay, I have been discriminated against to the WORST possible extent...I have seen this happen to African Americans and, to a greater extent, Mexican Americans...to women, to the disabled...basically anyone who isn't a WASP male. Texas has its head so far up its own ass it's not even funny. Just thought I would add my two cents...after going to California for a summer I believe the people there are much friendlier and more accepting...but it might just be because they are more liberal. :confused:

Congrats on your UTSW acceptance you are obviously a very talented and bright person. But I have to ask, you being a gay man, what the heck are you doing going to a bastion of conservativism like UTSW? Get your butt to SF or NY. I think if you are gay you definitly need to be in an setting that is accepting of your lifestyle. Aside from Austin (and just barely) Texas is not the place to be if you are gay.

Now the nice part. I'm an Asian American male that grew up in a Houston school district full of WASP type people (95% in my district). They were very nice and accepting of me. My best friends are actually conservative christian types (even thought they know I'm not too religious and a nutcase liberal). Everyone's experience is diff and I'm sorry to hear that you had a hard time. Seriously, you got into UTSW your match will be great, I say work hard and high tale it to a place that is more accomodating to your lifestyle.

Tra La La said:
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but here's a funny joke:

Q: What do all Cal and Davis students share in common?

A: They all got into Davis.

haha thats so true. its okay though, i hate it in davis. Im transferring to usc next fall, if i cant get into usc, then ill go to berkeley. I cant stand this awful quarter system most of the uc's have.

UCDavisdude said:
haha thats so true. its okay though, i hate it in davis. Im transferring to usc next fall, if i cant get into usc, then ill go to berkeley. I cant stand this awful quarter system most of the uc's have.

Quarter system is pretty tough, man.

the cover of today's ann arbor news points ou tthat nearly 2 billion bones are being invested on teh campus for new building, etc. the majority, of course, on teh new biomedical buildings and cardio center....those are at least 1.2billion.

i predict umich moves up....if not this time then next. i really think that these new building and the cash that seems to spew out of the med school will really draw in profs from everywhere.