US Ophthalmology Boards necessary for work in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaibab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the US ophthalmology Boards necessary for medical licensure in Canada?

Members don't see this ad.

Canada has their own exam. They also require 4 years of opththalmology plus one year of internship, which weeds out nearly all American ophthalmologist.

However, I heard of someone that cheated and lied to the Canadian provincial people about his credentials and got a license.:eek: At least, that's what a faculty member told me but he didn't want to say anything for fear for getting murdered by that doctor who cheated. When I was a medical student, I did read of an ophthalmologist in Arizona who got into a dispute with another ophthalmologist and murdered him.

Canada has their own exam. They also require 4 years of opththalmology plus one year of internship, which weeds out nearly all American ophthalmologist.

However, I heard of someone that cheated and lied to the Canadian provincial people about his credentials and got a license.:eek: At least, that's what a faculty member told me but he didn't want to say anything for fear for getting murdered by that doctor who cheated. When I was a medical student, I did read of an ophthalmologist in Arizona who got into a dispute with another ophthalmologist and murdered him.

That's funny. I know a Canadian who trained in a three year program in the USA and who now practices in Canada. I think he was able to do that without death threats too.