USA and UAB applicants--Discussion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey grunermann and Bama! Thanks... I don't know what I'm going to do yet... I'm really concerned about my housing and financial aid, so those are HUGE factors for me. I'm really honored to be accepted by both... My friend told me UAB's adcom is meeting again this Thursday (her boss is going) so another round will be going out soon, so don't worry.
Also I just visited lamyers1 at South at her dorm - really nice, like a mini-apartment about 3 min. from CWH. Email her if you need more info- has small kitchen and private bath. Comes with all the furniture too.
Again, more decisions will be made quickly, UAB is really behind. Take care all and good luck.

:cool:

P.S. I interviewed 11/1, August MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

kiddoc,

I thought I'd give you some helpful info on South. They will start making aid packages on March 1st and will shortly thereafter meet to determine who gets scholorship money. Hopefully they'll kick that info back to us pronto so we can pick a school by March 15 (if I get to pick).

Thanks! I plan to do my FAFSA as soon as I get home. Luckily I have one of those pins so I don't have to mail anything... I didn't get my W2 from work until last week, or I would have done it already. Good luck on your USF decision! :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by kiddoc2B:
•Good luck on your USF decision! :wink: •••••Thanks, kiddoc. I should get my decision this Thursday. Then the waiting game happens again after my EVMS interview in Feb. I wish this whole thing would come to an end! I've started pressing UF and Emory to give me a decision. Hopefully they will contact me next week. Argh! Oh well, I can't complain. At least this year is not a repeat of the one passed.

Do you know lamyers personally? I may need someone who knows the area to show me around if I have to choose between/among schools. I'd like to give USA another look (sometime in early March). I'm also going to see if they'll let me attend lecture and have a sit-down with their one and only med student who went to UF as an undergrad.

Yeah, I know her... she's great! You should email her if you want to chat about South. I'm calling Mark Scott this week to set up an appt. during my spring break at the end of March. I really want to know everything I can about each school.

jordews and kiddoc2b--

when did you interview at UAB?

Hey Keith,

I interviewed 11/1. We are supposed to get the official letter in a couple of weeks that will have our campus assignment. Good luck!

kiddoc2be- thx for the info. i interviewed 1-17. Dr. Smith had said we could expect word by the end of the month if our final ranking was high enough. so when you guys posted, i figured i didn't and i'd have to wait till later to see if they got down to my ranking. but maybe they're so behind they couldn't review those of us that interviewed lately. (i hope so anyway)

Ooooh, my ears are burning! Hey I'd be happy to show anyone around as long as you're not a serial murderer...sexual perverts are well tolerated. Do not come during parades, thanks to kiddoc2B, I had a nightmare about driving in my car stranded in a parade with a mothman flailing about my hood! And to top it off, I kept seeing balloons with boobs on them EVERYWHERE! Thanks for the FAFSA reminder. I did my taxes and found my PIN over the weekend. I just did my online FAFSA in 15 min...AMCAS, BOW YOUR HEADS!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lamyers1:
•Ooooh, my ears are burning! Hey I'd be happy to show anyone around as long as you're not a serial murderer...sexual perverts are well tolerated.•••••I'm no serious threat to society. At least that's what my parole officer believes. :wink: J/K

If I am considering USA after everything unfolds, I'll be sure to send you a PM. If I decide to attend, we'll be spending the next 4 years in the company of one another. Might as well meet before classes start, eh?

Has anyone that already interviewed been able to contact Dr. Smith in order to find out where you stand? Have you received any email replies from him recently?

Hey all:

New info regarding UAB progress...

Talked to the professor who interviewed me today... he said he'd heard that maybe only 100 acceptances have been sent so far, so don't worry. He said the adcom was meeting again too. They are REALLY behind, my adviser (at UAB) said today, and that the AMCAS thing really screwed them up. Hope this eases some minds... :)

did he say when they were meeting again?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the scoop on financial aid at South. The lady is finishing up the seniors right now, and then will work on us. I talked to her yesterday. After you submit FAFSA, we do nothing. We don't have to call for an appt. or anything. She will send the packages out in the mail in a few weeks and call us for appts. She asked so I told her my EFC was 0 (all those kids!) , she immediately said, oh well that's easy, I'll give you 6000 Perkins, 8500 unsub. Stafford, the balance in sub. Stafford plus any scholarships we might give you. She was really nice. Just a little info on how easy this seems to be, at least here. Her info: Sharon Hera 251-460-7918.

has anyone heard from UAB since the adcom meeting the first thursday in feb? or has everyone here already been accepted :)
also, has anyone heard from south since their initial acceptance round?

congrats to everyone who's in!

i interviewed 1-17 and still haven't heard anything from uab.

Has anyone interviewed (Alabama Residents) at USA with an MCAT score in the mid-20's range?

Interviewed 1/30/02 with 27Q.

Bama,

I have had friends that interviewed as South with scores like 25's and 26's. I don't know if they were accepted though.

South RULES!!! I know I have been talking about wanting to go to school X and Y over South, but I do have to give them props for being so on the ball this year.

I applied last year and was debating whether I should even apply again. I wondered why they didn't send me a formal decision last year, and almost decided against applying (adding them was a last minute decision). I'M GLAD I MADE THAT DECISION!

Good luck to everyone still waiting for news (perhaps my future classmates)!

A buddy of mine got in last year with a 25. BTW he is the top of his class this year. Goes to show...

I interviewed at UAB a while back. I was the only minority applicant there. UAB seems like a really nice school but I'd hate to go back to the "Good Ol' Boy" system in the South.

I was just wondering if anyone has received anything from USA after being accepted. I still have only received the letter. Anyone getting anything?

Ceelo, I'm going to be at UAB next year and I was just curious, what's your definition of the "Good-Ol-Boy" system and why do you think UAB goes by this?

I've received nothing, grunermann. I guess they are waiting for people with "better offers" to withdraw before sending additional info.

man this thread is longer and longer everytime i look.

The letter is the only thing we have all gotten. They are getting ready to do financial stuff in a week or two. The lady is trying to get the seniors out and then we're next. She'll call us for info/appts.

Ok, so who has the scoop on UAB? Are we gonna get something at the very least this month?

I interviewed at UAB back in January and still have not heard anything. Has anyone been contacted about there post-interview status?

What I said a few posts up still holds true for me. I interviewed 1-17 and have still not heard anything. I have no idea where I rank on the list, but obviously not high enough to get an immediate acceptance as some did. I'm also an out-of-state student.

Here's the latest scoop...

USA: They're going to be sending acceptances until classes start (obviously that includes those placed on the waiting list). You should be hearing something by the end of this month. As of now, they're planning to send out rejections via e-mail and waiting lists will be sent via snail mail just like acceptances.

UAB: This week is their last week of interviewing. Final decisions will be made by the end of this month and the number rank cutoff will be determined. Also, all final decisions will be sent off in early/mid-April.

:)