USA Downgraded from AAA. Are you protected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sevoflurane

Ride
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow. We are going to be testing 11,000 in the DJI. This is big. Might we get down to sub 10,000? I believe so. I won't be totally surprised to see 8500 again.

Recession? Depresison?

Help a newbie out:

What are you doing to protect yourself.?????

I'm back to mostly liquid (as of 4 weeks ago)

Silver has been my money maker. But it is also at risk as it can take a dive (like it did in 2008).

I want to try and pick up this latest recession/depression with dollar cost avereging + solid stocks.

When to start? The golden question.

Investors are worried. So am I.

:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Sev,

You trust the good ol' FDIC to insure and handle your liquid dough? It's not a leading question, I'm being serious. I remember 3 years ago all too well, with bank after bank folding and the idea that maybe that 100K$ isn't really 100K any more.

You stash away and greenback of value in a safe and secure place away from a BANK? Be it, safe deposit, mattress, freezer, HOME SAFE, etc?

What pisses me off MOST about all this economy stuff, is the following: if 9/11 did NOT happen, and Madoff did not happen, would we be here today? I say probably not. This idiot Osama killed 3000+ people and has, using his terrorist tactics, changed the face of America. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: Terrorism doing what terrorism is meant to do. Effect change through action and media coverage thereafter. :thumbdown:thumbdown

this kind of sucks,
D712

I'm staying mostly liquid for now.

Dollar cost averaging (stocks+PM ) can be a huge advantage in a down market. This is when you get the most bang for your buck. Not when the market is up... (you know this).

When people and investors are scared.... :scared:

.... is usually when you can find a buying opportunity.

Predicting the bottom is hard...

I don't see us hitting 13,000 on the DJI... for quite some time.

This market is different.... The train has been coming straight for us for some time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sev,

You trust the good ol' FDIC to insure and handle your liquid dough? It's not a leading question, I'm being serious. I remember 3 years ago all too well, with bank after bank folding and the idea that maybe that 100K$ isn't really 100K any more.

You stash away and greenback of value in a safe and secure place away from a BANK? Be it, safe deposit, mattress, freezer, HOME SAFE, etc?

What pisses me off MOST about all this economy stuff, is the following: if 9/11 did NOT happen, and Madoff did not happen, would we be here today? I say probably not. This idiot Osama killed 3000+ people and has, using his terrorist tactics, changed the face of America. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: Terrorism doing what terrorism is meant to do. Effect change through action and media coverage thereafter. :thumbdown:thumbdown

this kind of sucks,
D712
... say what? If 9/11 didn't happen, it simply would have taken longer for us to hit the debt ceiling. Madoff did nothing. Our problem isn't external, it's domestic overspending. Having scapegoats is fun, but it's terribly simple thinking.

Osama bin Werewolf didn't give us the unsustainable Medicare and Social Security mess or Bush tax cuts. Military spending, high as it is, isn't the biggest anchor around our neck.

Exactly where we are today. While extremely traggic, a few buildings and planes have barely an affect on a country our size, and a guy steal some money and splurging it to other people isn't even a blip on the radar screen.

If people say something enough it becomes "truth." We were well into the dotcom collapse when 9/11 happened. A quick drop followed by a quick rise back to its slower slumping decline. There really was no 9/11 recession. That was a post dotcom bubble collapse recession. Katrina was probably at least as big in economic loss, but because it happened during a steady period there's rightfully no mention of it. If Katrina happened in 9/01, they'd call it the Katrina Recession.

Narc.....

So how are you protecting yourself?

You out? Gonna watch from affar and let inflation do it's thing to your hard earned savings?

Where is your safe haven?

Is there one?

Say you max out your sep ira to 49K. What are you going to do with it over the next 6-24 months.

Should you be maxing out your sep IRA's? 401k's (if there is no match?)?

Last edited:
I don't know, we don't live in a vacuum. 9/11 wasn't 4 buildings and some plane steel, Narc. (now, that's simplifying things, think of the IMPACT, have to disagree on this one). I don't think we can think that I'm foolish enough to compare the losses of Katrina, to say, the planes and buildings in NY and PA. That's not the argument at all. It was the military response in the 10 years that follows...to date. Maybe it would have taken longer, but you can tie a LOT of legislation (Bush tax cuts etc...) and money spending (wars cost money. many wars costs much money....), counterterrorism spending (it's not just the armed forces out there fighting the big fight), and other expenditures that have affected us to HELP bring us to this point. I stand by that. It's been a long 10 years whereby, if that event didn't happen, I wonder how things would have went... That's all I'm saying. There is no certainty here, just thought. And that's my opinion. I agree Katrina and other issues didn't help. Surely. But 9/11 seemed to be a changing point on a lot in this country. I didn't mean to sidetrack (ok, hijack) Sevs thread. :thumbup:

D712

Last edited:
Osama bin Werewolf didn't give us the unsustainable Medicare and Social Security mess or Bush tax cuts. Military spending, high as it is, isn't the biggest anchor around our neck.

Nor did Osama give us Barney Frank and his b*tt-buddies with Fannie and Freddie.

The ultimate protection would be being self sufficient: buy land that you can farm, have some cattle, have wind + solar electricity production , guns ammo for hunting/protection. Hold some physical gold and silver and cash.

In 2008 I made a lot of money speculating on leveraged short ETFs like SKF. I see them as short-term insurance against catastrophic market events. If things get really bad, I will make a mint, and if they get good, I'll lose my speculative game but can anticipate better income down the road. I sold all of my remaining long positions during the past month. I still have some US bond holdings, including TIPS.

One mistake I made in 2008 was guessing that a flight from stocks would lead to a shift in investment towards all commodities. This was incorrect and I underestimated the effect of decreased demand for things like oil in a worsening economy. This year I have sold all commodity funds I held except SLV, and won't make that error again.

As I see it, the fundamentals underlying US industry, particularly the financial sector, are just as unsound as they were in 2008. There has been no significant systemic reform since then. The difference this time is that a government bailout seems quite a bit less likely this time around, and the damage could be brutal. In addition, I think that the general public is more likely, with their recent memory of 2008, to pull their retirement funds out of stocks as panic progresses.

In 2008 I made a lot of money speculating on leveraged short ETFs like SKF. I see them as short-term insurance against catastrophic market events. If things get really bad, I will make a mint, and if they get good, I'll lose my speculative game but can anticipate better income down the road. I sold all of my remaining long positions during the past month. I still have some US bond holdings, including TIPS.

One mistake I made in 2008 was guessing that a flight from stocks would lead to a shift in investment towards all commodities. This was incorrect and I underestimated the effect of decreased demand for things like oil in a worsening economy. This year I have sold all commodity funds I held except SLV, and won't make that error again.

As I see it, the fundamentals underlying US industry, particularly the financial sector, are just as unsound as they were in 2008. There has been no significant systemic reform since then. The difference this time is that a government bailout seems quite a bit less likely this time around, and the damage could be brutal. In addition, I think that the general public is more likely, with their recent memory of 2008, to pull their retirement funds out of stocks as panic progresses.

Thanks for your input. Today is disastrous.

Speaking of financials... did you see (bank of america) BAC?

Crushed.

bike-lane-car-crush-500x333.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I read a famous book that talked about how most novices loved to give advice on what you should do with your money, while the wiser, smarter, and more experienced guys are also more thoughtful, more reluctant, less needing of being "the guy," and understand the little to gain/ much to lose proposition of it. So I guess when it comes to what exactly you should be doing with your money I would definitely be the guy to listen to because I am definitely the guy that's not going to tell you what you should be doing with your money. :cool:

Though you can't go wrong with 7F

I like the 7f. Just not my time right now. I wish it was. Almost sounds fun.

Appreciate the little to gain/much to loose angle.

Very true.

But I'm young. My risk tolerance is higher than most.

I feel ya. :thumbup:

Ahhhhh, you make an excellent point!!! It's not the usual 9/11 nonsense said by most. Everyone from O'Reilly to whoever talk about the immediate recession caused by 9/11, which is pure bullsh*t.

Yes, the military response was costly. But I think estimates have it over a trillion or so; less than a current year's deficit. So at best we could say the brink could have been delayed 8-10 months. Secondly, we didn't bomb WTC; they did. Some kind of very expensive response was going to happen. Lastly, if we somehow prevented 9/11, sure enough there'd be a 10/14 or a 5/22 or whatever. Something big was going to blow up here sooner or later.

But again, yes I completely agree the lasting effects of 9/11 were extremely expensive. On a side note, how ironic and full of **** most mainstream (left to far left) media and academia are to say the military response of 9/11 weakened us (because they don't like Bush and don't like those wars. disclaimer- I think Bush sucks too), but the favored military response of WW2 where we killed Nazis (always a good thing) was a wonderful example of how government spending stimulated the economy. Can you be any more full of crap? I'm not referring you D712. You make a valid point. War is ALWAYS a costly crusher to your economy unless you go in and take their stuff.

No, Narcotized, I totally agree with you. That's the point I was trying to make, the lasting effects. Yeah, I don't think the troubles headed our way on 9/11 were what was hurting us on 10/11, or 11/11, agreed. And yes, THEY attacked us, which was also my point that these @#$*!*( caused quite the lasting effect, even if "only" a trillion dollars.

I also agree that 9/11 would have been 10/13 or 4/1, yes. And sadly, I think that we have not seen the end. I was studying terrorism at Columbia during 9/11 coincidentally, and one thing we learned in that class is that, for terrorism to be truly effective, methods of destruction must increase, or the media, just doesn't care as much. If you look at 1960s onward, it stands true. First a couple plane hijackings. Then some larger cruise ships. Embassies/Military barracks. Military ships. Then we move onto bigger things like, Olympics for the world to see. A failed attempt on WTC. A failed attempt I think to take out a tunnel or two. 9/11. (some smaller attacks after in Europe). The question is: what will outdo 9/11 from a terrorists' perspective? Yeah, scary, and that's exactly what I think (know) they are aiming to do. Would the hijacking of a 737, though tragic, and the killing of 100 people on board affect the change and response that 9/11 did? Nope. So, they must, think bigger and bigger. And they will.

My third agreement with you is that I totally think that those who say our response has weakened us are backwards. I don't agree with that at all. If the shi te actually hit the fan, and we were nuked or something, you bet we'd find a way to respond. In full. Regardless of what the market is at. 11000 or 1100. If it got worse we'd be forced into changes like a draft or rationing of the norm as in WWII. So, we can fight the fight, and have intervened with COUNTLESS acts of post-9/11 terrorism. And I think it has firmly strengthened our defenses. From pre 9/11. We will ALWAYS be vulnerable (democracy causes this), but I think we will find a way to defend and fight back. Things will change though I would think. Nor do I think this is AT ALL alarmist. My dad was a Fed Agent. I've heard what the aim is, it sucks. As he says, they are ALWAYS searching for a crack, and they have never failed to find one.

In truth, and I might take MAAAAAAAAAJOR heat for this... I have no interest in living in a city that is high target for a nuke. NYC. DC. PHILLY, even CHICAGO. The bastions of democratic and financial history in the US. I just don't need the worry about my family. I was in NYC on 9/11 and that was good enough for me. I just don't need a target on my back and it's my belief that those places actually have one.
If you think I'm foolish and the terrorists have made me afraid of living, I wouldn't really agree with that, but I'm not a fan of living in the bullseye...

AGAIN, OFF THE TOPIC OF SEVO...SORRY.

D712

Last edited:
Here I am getting sucked into another one of these threads ... :)

The ultimate protection would be being self sufficient: buy land that you can farm, have some cattle, have wind + solar electricity production , guns ammo for hunting/protection. Hold some physical gold and silver and cash.

300 million Americans can't all be subsistence farmers, even if we wanted to be. (I don't.) Even if we could, there's surely a bit of a learning curve making the transition from remembering to water the Topsy Turvy upside-down-tomato planters on the back porch to growing food with a daily calorie count and subsistence in mind. Someone once told me it takes 10 years to learn how to grow something efficiently. Doesn't matter who you are, or where you're from, or what you're growing. 10 years to live through the hot years, the cold years, the wet years, the dry years, the years with purple bugs or yellow mold ...

During the Depression, it didn't take long for edible game to be hunted to extreme scarcity in areas with any appreciable population. Reverting to the ancient hunter-gatherer life won't happen, even for ex Eagle Scouts.

There's something to be said for any degree of self-sufficiency, but it's a fantasy to think that people without farming background and experience would be able to support themselves. Especially since any respectable End Times Doomsday scenario would surely involve no fuel for tractors, no fertilizer, no pumps for irrigation, no trustworthy labor come harvest time. People can go really overboard on the survivalist paranoia thing, but there's so much that so many people can do that's reasonable and sane.

99% of people aren't doing even the simplest things FEMA recommends.

Food's cheap. It's easy insurance. Just buy some and stick it in a closet, and worry about the things you can plan for and control. Buy stuff you'd eventually eat anyway (ie, not 60 cases of MREs) and you're not losing any money.

No one needs the ridiculously overcapable and expensive (but fun!) arsenal guys like me have; a simple reliable handgun, some practice, a few boxes of quality ammo, and a carry permit will cover 99% of any forseeable problems that can be solved with a gun.

The un-exciting truth is that any one of us is far more likely to face a personal financial catastrophe from job loss, injury, illness, bad choices, or random chance ... than from a societal financial collapse despite having his own stuff squared away. Far more likely to see a brief interruption in services (Katrina) than total societal armageddon.

And the prudent preparer will also prepare for business as usual, too. The guys who built fallout shelters in the 1950s and 60s weren't *****s ... unless they spent all their money to do it, and ended up retiring to a homeless shelter.

doctor712 said:
In truth, and I might take MAAAAAAAAAJOR heat for this... I have no interest in living in a city that is high target for a nuke. NYC. DC. PHILLY, even CHICAGO. The bastions of democratic and financial history in the US. I just don't need the worry about my family. I was in NYC on 9/11 and that was good enough for a lifetime.

No heat from me. We left DC in 2003 and resolved to never return. Mostly because of the traffic and all the people, but we specifically talked about nuclear terrorism too. Cool city, we sort of miss the Smithsonian, the history, the Kennedy Center, restaurants.

Wow. We are going to be testing 11,000 in the DJI. This is big. Might we get down to sub 10,000? I believe so. I won't be totally surprised to see 8500 again.

Recession? Depresison?

Help a newbie out:

I'm back to mostly liquid (as of 4 weeks ago)

Silver has been my money maker. But it is also at risk as it can take a dive (like it did in 2008).

I want to try and pick up this latest recession/depression with dollar cost avereging + solid stocks.

When to start? The golden question.

Investors are worried. So am I.

:rolleyes:

Selling the treasury bonds and muni bonds that I have been buying for the last few years and:

BUYING STOCKS

Put a big chunk to work today. Bought US Large and US Large Value.

In some ways I really don't even think that the major U.S. ratings agencies are all that independent. If they were, then we probably would have been downgraded a long time ago.

So, to some extent, as the WSJ is suggesting, Obama et al are going to use this to push through an austerity agenda (yes, I do think they want it, they just needed some political cover). This serves a purpose. But, I'm not necessarily saying that because it serves a purpose, that it was completely coordinated.

That being said, all of this has been reasonably predictable. We've been seeing the U.S. (as much as I love this country and what it has stood for) on the decline for a great many years. We've hashed through (and really it doesn't serve a purpose anyway) the multiple reasons why we've truly degenerated the way we have, in other posts.

Now, when compared to other "modern industrialized countries", if you really look at the facts, we fall way short of meeting the standards which most of us value. The environment, education, hell even healthcare (results for the average citizen), crime statistics, poverty........ Sure, we're not Sweden, but that's still no excuse for such dismal statistics.

Again, not sure it's even that productive to look at WHY we've seen these trends. Much of that would likely be too controversial, and hell, the past is the past. But, we're going to for sure look a lot more like Brazil that what most associate with being a first rate nation. I wish I didn't believe this.

Now, I'm not saying the U.S. is going to be a place to run away from in the near future, but man if we can't reverse some of these awful trends, at some point, the really "first rate" amongst us might start looking around. (Just look at all the interest in places like NZ and Oz that we see on this forum).

It's all just so disappointing. That being said, like PGG has enunciated over and over, we're probably not going to see an armegedon-like scenario. Things will work themselves out, but I do think that a good number (maybe the majorit of working class folks) are going to have serious adjustments to their quality of life.

I also think this might be the begining of the end of an entire era of Western-style capitalism, but I'm in no way suggesting that alternatives which may rise in their place are the answer. Only that I think we're on the brink of a major change in the structure of global finance and financial systems. We'll see. At least we can't claim to live in UNinteresting times.....

Just a few thoughts.

In truth, and I might take MAAAAAAAAAJOR heat for this... I have no interest in living in a city that is high target for a nuke.

Heat from somebody with their head in the sand. All these nukes in the world and does anybody think they're never going to go off??

The question is: what will outdo 9/11 from a terrorists' perspective?

Rhetorical question I presume because the above answers that.

Someone once told me it takes 10 years to learn how to grow something efficiently. Doesn't matter who you are, or where you're from, or what you're growing. 10 years to live through the hot years, the cold years, the wet years, the dry years, the years with purple bugs or yellow mold ...

I'm not talking about being Eb and Oliver driving down to Drucker's store to buy a plow. Just own it. Let someone else grow it. Or at least live in small remote towns/cities near lots of farms. Your stores will have food long after city stores don't.

Heat from somebody with their head in the sand. All these nukes in the world and does anybody think they're never going to go off??
Rhetorical question I presume because the above answers that.

Yes, rhetorical. There are a lot of Nukes in the world and they didn't go off - after our enemies at the time got them for obvious reasons. Kenneth Waltz has some great text on this topic. However, the dynamic changed. I am still unsure if these extremists would let one loose knowing what the repercussions would be, in theory, but my family member who disaster plans for the USGov seems to think it's a no-brainer and thus, that's what the planning is for nowadays. It's my biggest fear as a US citizen. Hands down.

Narc, I've been told, "You can't change your life because of these idiots..." But then again, you have to make some wise decisions. Glad to hear peeps here are doing this. My apps are in to AMCAS and I thought long and hard about applying to places like DC. NYC is out. I'm over NYC. And certainly don't wanna be a med student in NYC. DC, well, who knows, my hat is in the ring. Boston, nope. Chicago, yep. So, I contradicted myself and my fears when I made the decision to apply, but the hope is I don't NEED to goto those places anyway... :D

D712

Selling the treasury bonds and muni bonds that I have been buying for the last few years and:

BUYING STOCKS

Put a big chunk to work today. Bought US Large and US Large Value.

My TSP account (the military's 401K equivalent) gives me a wide :rolleyes: range of investment choices, between two bond funds, two domestic stock funds, and one international stock fund. Today I moved money from the bond funds to stock funds, and I'll move more next week.

All of my recent SEP IRA contributions have been sitting in cash, but as of today I'm starting to put it in stocks. I arbitrarily picked a drop below 11000 as the time to start buying equal $ quantities every week for the next 8.

Cash outside of tax-advantaged accounts is going to stay in cash (and some bonds), waiting for the right piece of land. I don't own much gold to speak of, so I'm not going to do anything with it. If silver goes above $50 I'll start selling it, below $30 I'll buy more.

That's the extent of my grand strategy for now. In a couple years I can dig up this post on the day I started moving money, and see how much it cost me. :)

My TSP account (the military's 401K equivalent) gives me a wide :rolleyes: range of investment choices, between two bond funds, two domestic stock funds, and one international stock fund. Today I moved money from the bond funds to stock funds, and I'll move more next week.

Might want to wait on scaling into stocks, this is starting to look like another 2008 or worse. At the very least I think we're headed to the lows of last summer, which is about a 50% retracement to the lows of 3/2009. Everyone is debating what the fed will say tomorrow. If there's no announcement of QE3, I would definitely hold off on long positions until some kind of fundamental shift occurs. You'll be in a better position if you scale in once a true bottom looks to be forming. A big mistake a lot of people made in 2008 was trying calling bottoms too early. Had they waited until the fundamental shift (QE1), they would have been better off.

I will almost certainly be shorting any bounce tomorrow with TNA or IWM puts. Riskier bets that could pay off well are shorts on the still high PE momentum stocks- CRM, LNKD, CMG, etc.

Might want to wait on scaling into stocks, this is starting to look like another 2008 or worse. At the very least I think we're headed to the lows of last summer, which is about a 50% retracement to the lows of 3/2009. Everyone is debating what the fed will say tomorrow. If there's no announcement of QE3, I would definitely hold off on long positions until some kind of fundamental shift occurs. You'll be in a better position if you scale in once a true bottom looks to be forming. A big mistake a lot of people made in 2008 was trying calling bottoms too early. Had they waited until the fundamental shift (QE1), they would have been better off.

I will almost certainly be shorting any bounce tomorrow with TNA or IWM puts. Riskier bets that could pay off well are shorts on the still high PE momentum stocks- CRM, LNKD, CMG, etc.

Nobody rings a bell at market tops or bottoms.

All of my recent SEP IRA contributions have been sitting in cash, but as of today I'm starting to put it in stocks. I arbitrarily picked a drop below 11000 as the time to start buying equal $ quantities every week for the next 8.

Cash outside of tax-advantaged accounts is going to stay in cash (and some bonds), waiting for the right piece of land. I don't own much gold to speak of, so I'm not going to do anything with it. If silver goes above $50 I'll start selling it, below $30 I'll buy more.

That's the extent of my grand strategy for now. In a couple years I can dig up this post on the day I started moving money, and see how much it cost me. :)

I'm surprised your TSP wasn't in all/mostly stocks to begin with. I've had mine in a long horizon fund and one of the more aggressive stock families and it's performed remarkably well.

I'm surprised your TSP wasn't in all/mostly stocks to begin with. I've had mine in a long horizon fund and one of the more aggressive stock families and it's performed remarkably well.

It was all in stocks last year, but I got jittery when the market passed 11,000 on the way up and started moving it to the gov't bond fund, and went 100% bonds when it hit 12,000.

The arbitrary brackets I picked in the other direction are 11,000 and 9,000.

I should probably just leave it alone.

Nobody rings a bell at market tops or bottoms.

Oh, okay.

Bottoms take time to develop, and if you study our historical support levels, there is still plenty of room to fall. Perhaps this is only a 20% correction from the top in an ongoing bull marktet (which would be expected), however this could well be something more and if you buy in now it could take 2-3 years to get back to even. My point is that the stock market doesn't fall like a dagger and immediately start rallying to new highs. You lose little and gain much by taking a cautious approach.

We'll see what brilliance comes out in the fed statement at 2:15 today. They will be under tremendous pressure do take decisive action.

A good trade for the day might be playing the QQQ/SPY/DIA/IWM (or maybe just AAPL) long for a bounce with tight stops, expecting the bounce to continue until 1-2 pm. Then I expect a sell off immediately ahead of the fed as uncertainty kicks in. Then there's the reaction, which will likely not be subtle. This is based on historical data and observations of prior fed announcements. OTOH if we start failing again out of the gate, I would stay out or go short.

300 million Americans can't all be subsistence farmers, even if we wanted to be. (I don't.) Even if we could, there's surely a bit of a learning curve making the transition from remembering to water the Topsy Turvy upside-down-tomato planters on the back porch to growing food with a daily calorie count and subsistence in mind. Someone once told me it takes 10 years to learn how to grow something efficiently. Doesn't matter who you are, or where you're from, or what you're growing. 10 years to live through the hot years, the cold years, the wet years, the dry years, the years with purple bugs or yellow mold ...

As someone who grew up on a ranch/farm, this is the first thing I thought of after the comment above. Glad I'm not the only one!

I'm not talking about being Eb and Oliver driving down to Drucker's store to buy a plow. Just own it. Let someone else grow it. Or at least live in small remote towns/cities near lots of farms. Your stores will have food long after city stores don't.

Ok. I misunderstood your point. I agree with you - just as long as EVERYBODY isn't trying to do this. :D My home town (which had about 800 people in it... and I lived 10 miles outside of) would be a quite self sufficient little colony in the event of a major apocalypse. With that said, I still don't want to go back... :laugh:

My apps are in to AMCAS and I thought long and hard about applying to places like DC. NYC is out. I'm over NYC. And certainly don't wanna be a med student in NYC. DC, well, who knows, my hat is in the ring. Boston, nope. Chicago, yep.

Good luck, man! Most people include Kansas City as one of those "safe" cities... but the only problem is that we are a major railroad hub for the nation. Take out KC and you could cripple the RR shipping industry. Even with that possibility, I've been pretty happy with KU SOM. :D PM me, if you want, if you applied here and/or get an interview - I'll buy you a beer! :cool:

Good luck, man! Most people include Kansas City as one of those "safe" cities... but the only problem is that we are a major railroad hub for the nation. Take out KC and you could cripple the RR shipping industry. Even with that possibility, I've been pretty happy with KU SOM. :D PM me, if you want, if you applied here and/or get an interview - I'll buy you a beer! :cool:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yes, the military response was costly. But I think estimates have it over a trillion or so; less than a current year's deficit.

Don't forget the approximately 400 billion dollars we have dumped (so far) into the newly formed and questionably beneficial Dept. Homeland Sec.

- pod

They will be under tremendous pressure do take decisive action.

Pressure them all you want. There's absolutely nothing decisive they can do except throw another bandaide on the pile (bandaides btw that do nothing but make the longterm situation worse while, maybe, giving a bit of shortterm false security.

All the FED can do is make your dollars worthless which is why the longterm price of gold is infinity.

Wow...

Markets in Turmoil.

Gold at 1776 :eek: (Blade is prolly having a pina colada)

Started pretty nice... DJI in the red, again. At least now... who knows what will happen at closing. Wild ride. Not safe right now.

FED = No quantitative easing. :annoyed: :idea:

Who will fund our deficit spending?

Nobody. Eventually, absolutely nobody. We'll print it and have an inflationary collapse, or have interest rates our debt can't afford and have a default. It's a mathematical box.

Last edited:
And there you have it. Rally early in the day, selloff into the fed. Unsubtle market response. Made about $3K playing IWM calls and TF futures.

btw, that was QUITE a bullish close. So it seems the message was QE3. If there is follow through tomorrow we could be looking at a short term bottom. Longer term we'll have to see how the market copes with the next round of bad news. One caveat- bear market rallies can be violent, as we saw today.

Last edited:
Holy crappers....

That is one of the biggest turn arounds I've seen in a while.

I confess I don't understand how they can not continue QE.

Who will fund our deficit spending? For a while they were buying something like 70% of government bonds. Who's filling that gap? Especially with rates so low.

One way would be to tank the stock market just prior to every scheduled bond auction. That's been true twice so far.

I see nothing as of late to change my original prediction 2 years ago. The train is chugging along right on schedule.

<<<Very similar to Clubber Lang's prediction: Painnnn..........

A debt death spiral in which we can no longer service the debt without high taxes, high interest rates, and money printing leading to a currency devaluation, hyperinflation, and an economic collapse. Widespread rioting will occur when Entitled America has their freebees cut off. In addition there will be massive food and energy shortages leading to crime waves and anarchy. Every household will look like an armed fort. Those smart enough to stockpile food or have farms will face constant armed attack. You will eventually lose almost all of your material wealth as it becomes worthless, stolen, or abandoned. Through it all some politician will say, "America's best days are ahead of us.">>>

Do you actually believe that this is the most likely outcome? While nothing is impossible I find this outcome incredibly improbable. Does the world really look bleaker than during the depression with 40% unemployment? How about WW2 with gasoline, meat, butter, sugar rationed and millions of men in uniform? The cold war with the world on the brink of nuclear holocaust? The 60s: over 57000 dead in Vietnam, assassinations of JFK, RFK, MLK, yes there were riots in many cities but nothing like what you were talking about. The massive bear market of the 70s with stagflation and double digit inflation and double digit interest rates and double digit unemployment. Even in Mexico today which is on the brink of being a failed state, there is nothing like what you are talking about going on.

Again the highly improbable is not impossible, but read your history.

Put your money where your mouth is: What specifically are you doing to prepare?

Do you actually believe that this is the most likely outcome? While nothing is impossible I find this outcome incredibly improbable. Does the world really look bleaker than during the depression with 40% unemployment? How about WW2 with gasoline, meat, butter, sugar rationed and millions of men in uniform? The cold war with the world on the brink of nuclear holocaust? The 60s: over 57000 dead in Vietnam, assassinations of JFK, RFK, MLK, yes there were riots in many cities but nothing like what you were talking about. The massive bear market of the 70s with stagflation and double digit inflation and double digit interest rates and double digit unemployment. Even in Mexico today which is on the brink of being a failed state, there is nothing like what you are talking about going on.

Again the highly improbable is not impossible, but read your history.

Put your money where your mouth is: What specifically are you doing to prepare?

Interesting that you bring this up, it reminds me of some things Colin Powell said when asked if he thought the US was in decline (can't find the reference). Essentially he said he lived through the era of race riots, the Cold War, Vietnam, the oil embargo, when the national mood was as bleak as could be - and life went on, so he wasn't super worried about the problems we face today.

As the forum's #2 paranoid poster :) behind Narcotized, I'll go on record as stating I don't think Clubber Lang's prediction will come to pass.

I expect a gradual decline. Inflation in stuff we need (food, energy, clothing, healthcare), deflation in stuff we have (real estate, wages). A world in which we're all poorer. But just as life has gone on in Argentina after their 2001 financial system collapse, life will go on here.

BUT - to borrow my least favorite phrase from bubble discussions, there are some things that suggest this time is different. The US isn't just another economy, it is the world economy, with the world reserve currency. Peak oil is here, though the term "peak oil" means different things to different people with different agendas. When I say it, I don't mean I think that the oil is gone (far from it), only that extraction costs are getting onto the steep part of the curve at the same time production rates are peaking, which means energy costs must continue to rise ... and they'll rise faster in the face of a meaningful economic recovery.

Argentina's financial system collapsed in the context of a stable and prosperous world, and 10 years later they're still a shadow of what they once were. Argentina wasn't as racially, economically, politically, culturally divided as we are. We have further to fall, and no one to lean on.

I don't see a way out of the financial hole the US has dug. To predict major social and cultural stresses and changes to accompany this slow-motion financial disaster isn't too far fetched.

I'm aware that all the people who say nothing catastrophic will happen are, thus far, absolutely correct.

To answer the question you posed to Narcotized, what have I done?
  • Most important, we've chosen to live in a rural area. No small feat, since the Navy gets to tell me where to live. It's taken some effort. Every event, natural or unnatural, is worse in a city.
  • We're armed. This doesn't need to morph into another gun thread, but if London-esqe riots came to my town, you wouldn't see me defending myself with a frypan the way some shopkeepers on the BBC were/are. That said, I have no silly illusions that a gun is likely to play any role in what happens to me. I expect and hope to die of natural causes decades from now, having never shot anybody.
  • We have food and water stored. Food in the United States is absurdly cheap. There's no reason not to have a couple months (or more) of it in a closet. No, I'm not Mormon. I don't fear Biblical end times in the least. But you won't see me or mine hungry or thirsty at the local Superdome-equivalent waiting for the National Guard or FEMA to rescue us.
  • Enough fuel & alternative energy production to cook and keep the house cool in summer. It doesn't get cold enough to really need heat in the winter. Energy supply disruptions happen - in the 70s with the oil embargo, in Japan after their quake/tsunami/meltdown, Katrina.
  • Debt avoidance.

So in short - basic, simple, attainable individual and family preparedness. Which puts us ahead of 99% of the rest of the US in any conceivable event - whether it's job loss, disability, illness, major natural disasters, riots or a violent crime wave, hyperinflation, pandemic bird swine monkey flu, meteor showers, or the dead rising from the grave to feast upon the delicious flesh of the living.

I think we should all rejoice and relax! When you have Warren Buffet going on record stating that if there was an AAAA rating, America would have it...what could POSSIBLY go wrong? :rolleyes:

In fact, I'm selling my 2% milk reserves as we speak. Lock stock and barrel. I fear nothing. I'm getting out of Progresso canned soup at market open tomorrow. As a further nose up to all you worriers, I am going to take my 6 mos supply of bottled Zephryhills Water and take a 2 hour bubble bath in it tonight. As a matter of fact, I am writing this from the bathtub, yep. Then, I'm going to wash the neighbor's dog in said bathwater, and pour the rest in the lake.

We clearly have nothing to worry about. GO WARREN!!!!

D712

I think we should all rejoice and relax! When you have Warren Buffet going on record stating that if there was an AAAA rating, America would have it...what could POSSIBLY go wrong? :rolleyes:

In fact, I'm selling my 2% milk reserves as we speak. Lock stock and barrel. I fear nothing. I'm getting out of Progresso canned soup at market open tomorrow. As a further nose up to all you worriers, I am going to take my 6 mos supply of bottled Zephryhills Water and take a 2 hour bubble bath in it tonight. As a matter of fact, I am writing this from the bathtub, yep. Then, I'm going to wash the neighbor's dog in said bathwater, and pour the rest in the lake.

We clearly have nothing to worry about. GO WARREN!!!!

D712

I never said that there was nothing to worry about...

I Do believe that we are a nation in decline.

BUT, There is a big difference between a nation in decline and anarchy.

I never said that there was nothing to worry about...

I Do believe that we are a nation in decline.

BUT, There is a big difference between a nation in decline and anarchy.

Dr. D, My comment was absolutely not aimed at you. It was a rant against Warren The Gazillionaire Buffett who has the cojones to say that we're good to go...