This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AC1131

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am from Canada and I completed my undergrad last fall. I did fairly well but my GPA was not high enough to get me admitted into Dental schools in Canada, although it is competitive for US and Australian schools. I have also written the DAT and have hundreds of hours of volunteer work and experience from shadowing my dentist. So far I have applied to the Australian schools and will find out in about a month if I was successful or not. I am also looking into dental shools in the states and because of the exchange rate it is going to cost me anywhere from 500k to 700k depending on the school. Whereas the most expensive Australian school is 400k for 5 years and some are as low as 275k. Due to the reciprocity agreement I will be able to work in Canada as a dentist even if I do graduate from Australia but not in the States, which is something I have given some thought to. My family (dad in particular) wants me to go to the states since he feels the schools are more prestigous, which I do not care about and also because I will be closer to home. He wants to financially support me if I go to the states but he is quite bad with his finances and I doubt I will be able to pay the tuition required on time without help from the bank. At this point I am leaning towards Australia but I do want to work in the states as well, although I dont know if it would be worth the extra debt. Any advice on what I should do would be helpful

Members don't see this ad.

700k. Who cares? It’s just Monopoly money. Or, is it?

Man 700k, thats a lot of money, even in runescape back in the days

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be able to work in Canada after American education. Like Australia, you just have to pass the boards. This is what I was told.