USAP experience

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by CaliCatheter, Sep 9, 2017.

1. CaliCatheter

Hey guys,

Any of you have experience with USAP buyouts? No need for details but was just wondering if among the takeovers, is USAP one of the least malignant?

thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BLADEMDA

BLADEMDA ASA Member

Attending Physician
    Yes.

4. okayplayer

okayplayer Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Not sure why I would want to take half my buyout in USAP stock that may or may not drop precipitously in my vesting period.

To quote Randy Moss: "Straight cash, homey."

Noyac and AdmiralChz like this.
  5. spike7585

spike7585 ASA Member

Bump for this thread. Wondering if anyone cares to share their thoughts or experiences about USAP in general. Feel free to PM details!

6. inflamesdjk02

inflamesdjk02 Senior Member

I interviewed with USAP in Orlando and it was one of the strangest and most uncomfortable experiences of my entire life.

7. acidbase1

Medical Student
    Please expand

8. acidbase1

Medical Student
    I don’t see how working for any AMC (aka the man) could be a good experience

9. AdmiralChz

AdmiralChz ASA Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Some jobs are really pretty horrible with pay and benefits. That being said, some have very strong pay and competitive benefits (common around where I am doing fellowship). I had co-residents and co-fellows take AMC jobs and are content, yes it happens!

I agree with the above - take MONEY not stock, especially in this day when the stocks appear ridiculously overvalued.

acidbase1 likes this.
  10. inflamesdjk02

inflamesdjk02 Senior Member

PM me if interested.

11. okayplayer

okayplayer Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I am not being snarky, I genuinely want to know the answer to this question: when USAP advertises a "partnership track" position what does that mean exactly? They pay you less for a period of time before you make "partner"?

Very confusing model to me (I imagine by design).

12. FFP

FFP Grunt, body, pompous ass, pissant, buzzkill, jaded
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    It's a mind game, like "half off, buy now". The same way the product on sale was never worth it's full price, far from it, your "partnership" will be more of a "senior associateship", i.e. you will still pay a lot of money to the mother corporation, like any good... wait... wait... employee!

It's a nice excuse to pay you even less in the beginning, while dangling the carrot in front of your neurotransmitters.

Disclaimer: I have no idea about USAP, but I would be shocked if proven wrong.

nolagas likes this.
  13. amyl

amyl ASA Member

Attending Physician
    first off, usap in general, does not want to offer partnership positions... their business plan includes doing away with partnerships and having employees... including former partners becoming employees. I think most of the old guys thought they would be gone but the time that happened. some groups have had considerable trouble hiring qualified people and so are offering partnership tracks... as are non-usap groups in some markets.... they aren't getting the quality people so many groups are swinging back towards partnership.... once the market bares employees only they will swing back that way, if it ever does.
    currently at least in my market the business guys don't completely run the show... the doctors still manage many of the divisions as they see fit. imho this makes usap better than other amcs... whether this will be the trend in the future... who knows? the divisions mostly run themselves, pay differently, have different incomes, different vacations, different call schedules. eventually i think they would like to pay everyone the same but that will be very hard as the practice is very diverse.
    however the benefits are good and the pay is more than other groups. i was in an employed position with usap and switched to another group for the partnership track. my salary as an associate is reduced but not by too much but my division of usap is competitive to land a spot at and has a reputation for being more fair than other divisions. i have a colleague that was on a partnership track with another division at a dramatically reduced salary and they didn't offer her a partnership. she may not be an ideal anesthesiologist but it is not fair to lead people on for years and then tell them no.

dchz, acidbase1 and nolagas like this.
  14. amyl

amyl ASA Member

Attending Physician
    things with usap will get interesting beginning of next year.... when the mass exodus occurs. some divisions are better prepared than others...

dchz and nolagas like this.
  15. ERRES2288

Resident [Any Field]
    But what does partnership get you? Just a higher salary? Share of profits or ownership of some kind?

okayplayer likes this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. dr doze

dr doze To be able to forget means to sanity
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Real partnership gets you parity and some security of ownership. How many real partnerships are out there? Less than there used to be. How much securiry is out there even In true equal partnerships? Less than there used to be.

FFP, acidbase1 and chocomorsel like this.
  18. ERRES2288

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes I was referring to USAP specifically.

19. amyl

amyl ASA Member

Attending Physician
    usap partnership, in general, means higher salary, more vacation and stock options... as well as a vote.... like i said the divisions mostly self govern

dchz likes this.
  20. okayplayer

okayplayer Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    So you are all AMC employees but they withhold some pay and vacation from the “non partner” employees to distribute to the “partner” employees? Got it...
    :wtf:

At my group (non AMC) being a partner means you own 1 share of the group (1/250th of the group right now) and you vote for the board members annually/can run for a board spot (and vote on a few other issues).

#18 okayplayer, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    abolt18 likes this.
  21. Gypsysongman

So there’s no real partnership anymore, pay and vacation are permanently worse, your fate is controlled by some suits far away who don’t know or care about you at all, and your pay is defined by the least these middlemen can get away with paying people rather than being limited by how much you bill? Sounds great! Every group should sell out to AMCs!

BioChemDork and okayplayer like this.