Program-Specific Info / Q's USC 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m not sure about this! It does seem however that they are just behind on any type of communication. I’ve been trying to get in touch since middle of last week and can’t get a response :/ but I would assumed that this may be a general issue and that could be why those verified after the deadline haven’t heard back yet
Yeah they're pretty behind on e-mails. It took exactly a week for me to hear back about something, but she had to ask someone else, so who knows how long I will wait now haha. I also had another question about a pre-requisite and havent heard back about that yet....Anyway, until I get answers to my questions I'm hesitant to accept my spot, but that's due at the end of the week! Really wish we would hear back a lot sooner about our questions, but guess they're really bombarded!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah they're pretty behind on e-mails. It took exactly a week for me to hear back about something, but she had to ask someone else, so who knows how long I will wait now haha. I also had another question about a pre-requisite and havent heard back about that yet....Anyway, until I get answers to my questions I'm hesitant to accept my spot, but that's due at the end of the week! Really wish we would hear back a lot sooner about our questions, but guess they're really bombarded!
Agreed! I totally understand that they are probably under immense stress and have so many communications to work through. But it is worrisome that the deadline is approaching bc my questions are regarding a decision extension and prerequisites. It makes me more hopeful though to hear that you’ve at least received some response to your emails!

I’m not applying until this summer, but I have an easy question for y’all...how long were your letters of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not applying until this summer, but I have an easy question for y’all...how long were your letters of recommendation?
On OTCAS your recommenders upload your letter directly to the system, so unless they show you what they wrote in their letters, you don't really have a way of knowing how long it is. Personally, I didn't get to see mine, but I would imagine they probably fit on a page single-spaced!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone happen to know if there is a deposit fee for accepting a spot in the program? I didn't see any mention of a fee on the acceptance letter/email, and I can't seem to find information on this anywhere (but maybe I'm not looking in the right places).

I'm just wondering if, in case I were to rescind my acceptance (waiting on another top choice program), there would be a penalty of some sort. Thanks!

Does anyone happen to know if there is a deposit fee for accepting a spot in the program? I didn't see any mention of a fee on the acceptance letter/email, and I can't seem to find information on this anywhere (but maybe I'm not looking in the right places).

I'm just wondering if, in case I were to rescind my acceptance (waiting on another top choice program), there would be a penalty of some sort. Thanks!
Hey, I also dont see anything about a deposit fee, so I don't think there is one! I'll probably do the same thing, accept my spot now, but continue to weigh my options.

Question: They gave me a slightly higher scholarship and that form says I don't need to accept the scholarship till 4/1, but the form of my previous scholarship said accept by 3/14. Since I ultimately want an RA position, Krisitin said to ask again in the Spring for an RA position (I guess there waiting to see who accepts and who denies), so should I just wait to accept my scholarship until I know whether or not I can get the RA position?

my friends that got in earlier, in December, had to make a $500 deposit. But I got in recently as well and didn't see anything about a deposit either

I accepted my offer and there was no deposit fee.

Also @Husky19 I asked Kristin if accepting my merit scholarship would disqualify me from being considered for a research assistantship and she said accepting wouldn't have any effect. Hope that helps!

I accepted my offer and there was no deposit fee.

Also @Husky19 I asked Kristin if accepting my merit scholarship would disqualify me from being considered for a research assistantship and she said accepting wouldn't have any effect. Hope that helps!
Oh great thank you! Do you know then if that scholarship gets added onto the RA position or if the RA position kind of wipes out the scholarship (if that makes sense)? Like is it a one or the other situation or can you possibly keep both?

Oh great thank you! Do you know then if that scholarship gets added onto the RA position or if the RA position kind of wipes out the scholarship (if that makes sense)? Like is it a one or the other situation or can you possibly keep both?
From my understanding I think you would get both! Which would be great haha

From my understanding I think you would get both! Which would be great haha
Omg that would be amazing!! Do you know when we would hear back about this/when should we ask again? “Spring” is very general haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not heard back yet! Constantly checking my email whether I got in or not ugh.

Omg that would be amazing!! Do you know when we would hear back about this/when should we ask again? “Spring” is very general haha
I know right?? I just asked about it about 3 days ago and she said they don't know at this time but I can check in again later. So honestly not sure about timing haha

Hello. Does anyone have any idea if when are they sending out acceptances to those who got verified after the November 30th deadline? Someone mentioned in this thread that the reception for admitted students will be on 03/22. Is it likely that we will receive a notification before 03/22?

I got an email yesterday saying that they should decide in a couple weeks

Anyone get confirmation after they sent in their intent to enroll form? I sent it before the well before the due date but haven’t heard back. Also, anyone’s YouSC account change??

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone get confirmation after they sent in their intent to enroll form? I sent it before the well before the due date but haven’t heard back. Also, anyone’s YouSC account change??
Hello! I sent the form back to Kristin, and then nine days later she wrote back confirming receipt. However, my yousc has not changed.

Hi I also received confirmation for the intent to enroll form!

Hey guys! My youSC portal finally changed and my decision letter is up! It’s official now!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! So I just got to LA in prep for admitted students day tomorrow (I’m from NY), and am kind of worried about the area. Does anyone else have these worries? I’m staying about 3 miles away from campus so I guess it might be different over there but basically the whole ride here from the airport seemed very dirty and run down and just not safe. Anyone from LA or know the area well that can ease my worries?

Hey guys! So I just got to LA in prep for admitted students day tomorrow (I’m from NY), and am kind of worried about the area. Does anyone else have these worries? I’m staying about 3 miles away from campus so I guess it might be different over there but basically the whole ride here from the airport seemed very dirty and run down and just not safe. Anyone from LA or know the area well that can ease my worries?

Unfortunately though USC is a good school it is in a very dangerous neighborhood. Though I want to ease your worries, please do stay alert. As long as you are cautious and look alert, you should be fine and use your common sense. I would stick with groups if you have to be out at night and I would spend some money on uber if you are unfamiliar with the area. It is right next to Skid Row, which is usually a very sketch area.

Stay safe!

Unfortunately though USC is a good school it is in a very dangerous neighborhood. Though I want to ease your worries, please do stay alert. As long as you are cautious and look alert, you should be fine and use your common sense. I would stick with groups if you have to be out at night and I would spend some money on uber if you are unfamiliar with the area. It is right next to Skid Row, which is usually a very sketch area.

Stay safe!
I’m actually taking an Uber to the grove right now! I def don’t plan to be out late by myself. I was more just talking about actually living here for grad school rather than the few days I’m here! But thanks!

I’m actually taking an Uber to the grove right now! I def don’t plan to be out late by myself. I was more just talking about actually living here for grad school rather than the few days I’m here! But thanks!

If you don't mind driving a little bit, mid-town LA is a little better or Monterey Park or Alhambra. It might be a little pricer, but if it was me I think its worth it.

What did they say at admitted day? I just got my acceptance. Sent in my GRE scores a month late.

What did they say at admitted day? I just got my acceptance. Sent in my GRE scores a month late.
Congrats! Do you know any other info on late acceptances? Apparently, since OTCAS is based on eastern time, I was an hour late for my USC app :/ (I'm so dumb)...so I got the generic email telling me I would have to wait longer. I need to pay my 2nd deposit at NSU soon so I might just have to accept before knowing if I ever got into USC.

Congrats! Do you know any other info on late acceptances? Apparently, since OTCAS is based on eastern time, I was an hour late for my USC app :/ (I'm so dumb)...so I got the generic email telling me I would have to wait longer. I need to pay my 2nd deposit at NSU soon so I might just have to accept before knowing if I ever got into USC.

For the late acceptances, I emailed Kristin last Friday (03/29) to follow up and she informed me that they should be sending out acceptances and notifications within the next two weeks.

For the late acceptances, I emailed Kristin last Friday (03/29) to follow up and she informed me that they should be sending out acceptances and notifications within the next two weeks.
Thank you for the update! Also, did you get an interview?

Echoing what avidtraveler said: I asked her last Friday when decisions were coming and she said two weeks. But then I heard back on Monday. So I think it'll be rolling out. They don't do interviews

Hi! This is unrelated to the past few posts, but I had a question regarding funding- does anyone know if it is possible to get a decent amount of scholarships/funding from USC beyond the first year?

It seems like many students have received scholarships for the first year of the program, which is a great sign in itself! But I'm wondering if we are likely to receive further scholarships in the 2nd year of the MA program (and perhaps during the doctoral year if we choose to pursue that) provided we keep up our grades and such.

I've been reviewing the financial aid packet, and it looks like there's a lot of funding available in general, such as through on-campus work, research assistant positions, etc. Just wondering how difficult it is to get these positions and receive further tuition aids. I'm currently debating between USC's MA and NYU's MS+OTD, and what's holding me back from USC is that it'd be more expensive overall (by 20-30k) to get my MA/MS & OTD there.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Hi! This is unrelated to the past few posts, but I had a question regarding funding- does anyone know if it is possible to get a decent amount of scholarships/funding from USC beyond the first year?

It seems like many students have received scholarships for the first year of the program, which is a great sign in itself! But I'm wondering if we are likely to receive further scholarships in the 2nd year of the MA program (and perhaps during the doctoral year if we choose to pursue that) provided we keep up our grades and such.

I've been reviewing the financial aid packet, and it looks like there's a lot of funding available in general, such as through on-campus work, research assistant positions, etc. Just wondering how difficult it is to get these positions and receive further tuition aids. I'm currently debating between USC's MA and NYU's MS+OTD, and what's holding me back from USC is that it'd be more expensive overall (by 20-30k) to get my MA/MS & OTD there.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Hi! So, I've actually had the same questions, and while I don't have an exact answer, I can hopefully help you out a little bit! I asked Kristin about this and she said they do still offer aid during the second year of the program (how much though, I don't know). I also asked about an RA position and she says if I were to get one, I would be able to keep it during the second year of the program, given that the faculty member like me and my work and there is still need in the lab. As for the OTD, I was able to talk to a former student during admitted students day who did the OTD and she said that since you will already be a certified OT having completed the masters program, while youre completing your residency during the OTD, you can get paid a regular OT salary! So, while I don't know if aid specifically is offered, you will be able to get paid for completing your residency (which I believe is the whole year and point of the OTD). Hope this helps some!

Hi everyone! I meant to post on this forum earlier, but I declined my acceptance last Friday to attend UW instead. That should help open another spot. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Hi everyone! I meant to post on this forum earlier, but I declined my acceptance last Friday to attend UW instead. That should help open another spot. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Thank you for letting us know! If you don’t mind me asking, were you accepted off the waitlist of USC? Good luck to you at UW :D

Hi all! First off, congratulations to all those accepted :) I'm on the waitlist for the program and I just wanted to put something out there; probably what some other people on the waitlist are thinking as well.

Since the program is starting in roughly 2 months, there's not much time for waitlisted applicants to plan ahead. Some might have already been accepted to other programs and are waiting to hear back because USC is the dream and others may just be waiting on this as their only option. For me personally, I'm losing a little bit of hope. I don't know how the waitlist works, how many people are on it, and around what time people generally hear back, but I know it's been tough ever since the decisions came out.

However, I'm beyond thankful to even be considered for the waitlist and I'm so sorry to those of you who were not offered a seat. I wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors.

I'm just stating this as my 2 cents and to hopefully there will be more movement to come in the near future. To clarify, I don't mean to put any negative light on this situation! I'm just a nervous a wreck and wanted to get this off my chest.

Thank you!

Hi! So, I've actually had the same questions, and while I don't have an exact answer, I can hopefully help you out a little bit! I asked Kristin about this and she said they do still offer aid during the second year of the program (how much though, I don't know). I also asked about an RA position and she says if I were to get one, I would be able to keep it during the second year of the program, given that the faculty member like me and my work and there is still need in the lab. As for the OTD, I was able to talk to a former student during admitted students day who did the OTD and she said that since you will already be a certified OT having completed the masters program, while youre completing your residency during the OTD, you can get paid a regular OT salary! So, while I don't know if aid specifically is offered, you will be able to get paid for completing your residency (which I believe is the whole year and point of the OTD). Hope this helps some!

Thanks so much @Husky19!! I recently spoke with two current students (one of them had an RA position during their first year) who mentioned that while there's lots of scholarships/funding offered for the first year, these rarely carry over into the second year. However, I'm sure it's something that may be a case by case situation depending on performance and need for assistance, so there could be a possibility of having these transfer over to the second year, like you said.

I also asked one of the students about the OTD, and she said something similar to you. She mentioned that funding for the OTD depends on the site, and some places cover either part of OR the majority of tuition and also pay for you being a licensed OT. She indicated that these spots are very competitive, but at least we know there are options. She also mentioned students might be able to negotiate with certain sites for more financial support.

Hope you get the RA position - that sounds like a great opportunity & would def help cut down costs!!

Does anyone know why USC's degree is an MA and not a MS? I find it strange that one of the best programs is the only program I know of that isn't an MS. I know this is a very small detail and in grand scheme, you will be licensed not matter what but it's rather odd.

Thank you for letting us know! If you don’t mind me asking, were you accepted off the waitlist of USC? Good luck to you at UW :D
Hi sorry for not replying sooner! I was not accepted off the waitlist, I was accepted regularly in late February. And thank you! Best of luck to you as well

Thanks so much @Husky19!! I recently spoke with two current students (one of them had an RA position during their first year) who mentioned that while there's lots of scholarships/funding offered for the first year, these rarely carry over into the second year. However, I'm sure it's something that may be a case by case situation depending on performance and need for assistance, so there could be a possibility of having these transfer over to the second year, like you said.

I also asked one of the students about the OTD, and she said something similar to you. She mentioned that funding for the OTD depends on the site, and some places cover either part of OR the majority of tuition and also pay for you being a licensed OT. She indicated that these spots are very competitive, but at least we know there are options. She also mentioned students might be able to negotiate with certain sites for more financial support.

Hope you get the RA position - that sounds like a great opportunity & would def help cut down costs!!
I asked a student ambassador about financial aid in the second year of the program and she said that all of her friends/classmates that she knew received aid in the first year also got it in the second year but that it wasn't necessarily "guaranteed" because it's based on merit. She also gave an example that one of her friends who had a RAship the first year got a TAship the second year but it was because he wanted to make that change. She made it seem like it was definitely available and hopefully that's accurate, but who knows since it's kinda her job to make the program seem extra appealing haha

Hi everyone! Checking in to see if anyone heard back about RAships or anything of the like?

Has anyone heard about RA positions? I just asked again today and keep getting told that they still don’t anything at this time but I was wondering if this is there way of telling me no without explicitly telling me or if everyone else is hearing the same thing. Just frustrated at this point cause they said end of April they would definitely have a decision :/

Has anyone heard about RA positions? I just asked again today and keep getting told that they still don’t anything at this time but I was wondering if this is there way of telling me no without explicitly telling me or if everyone else is hearing the same thing. Just frustrated at this point cause they said end of April they would definitely have a decision :/
I feel like if they definitely weren't going to give you one they would just say no. If I had to guess, they probably just don't have any available at the moment unless someone who was offered one declines their spot?

@otdornottobe have you heard back from the waitlist?

Hi! Yes, I heard back on the 17tth about the waitlist but I did not accept it as I have accepted a position at another of my top schools that offered much more scholarships. Good luck!

Hi! Yes, I heard back on the 17tth about the waitlist but I did not accept it as I have accepted a position at another of my top schools that offered much more scholarships. Good luck!

Hi congratulations! Do you mind me asking how they contacted you and if you knew what spot you were on within the waitlist? Did they share any specific detail?

Hi congratulations! Do you mind me asking how they contacted you and if you knew what spot you were on within the waitlist? Did they share any specific detail?

Hi! It was through e-mail and I never inquired about my spot so I’m not sure. Maybe they’d tell you if you asked? Have other people asked and had any luck? But good luck! USC does use up a lot of their waitlist and does so into June so keep your hopes up!

Hi! It was through e-mail and I never inquired about my spot so I’m not sure. Maybe they’d tell you if you asked? Have other people asked and had any luck? But good luck! USC does use up a lot of their waitlist and does so into June so keep your hopes up!

I haven't asked yet because I'm scared it'll give me even more anxiety :((. What was the deadline they gave you to respond to them by? Thanks for all this info btw!

I haven't asked yet because I'm scared it'll give me even more anxiety :((. What was the deadline they gave you to respond to them by? Thanks for all this info btw!
I asked in March if they could tell me what part of the waitlist I was on, top third or bottom third or anything like that since I knew they wouldn't be able to share the exact number. I did find out I was in the top third and I was super hopeful but I still have not been moved from the waitlist and I'm slowly losing hope. I suggest reaching out to Kristin if you are curious as to where you may fall on the waitlist!

I asked in March if they could tell me what part of the waitlist I was on, top third or bottom third or anything like that since I knew they wouldn't be able to share the exact number. I did find out I was in the top third and I was super hopeful but I still have not been moved from the waitlist and I'm slowly losing hope. I suggest reaching out to Kristin if you are curious as to where you may fall on the waitlist!

Wow even in the top third they aren't done picking out from :( I'm so sorry to hear that! I'll probably send out an email to see, but there's really no other options for me either. Are you settled on another school at the moment and would you give it up for the waitlist spot?