USC Applicants, Students, Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the class I took at a CC was Speech 111: Interpersonal Communication

Members don't see this ad.

what courses would count as interpersonal communication for USC's prereq?

Mine was also Speech 111 at CC (course name was "Interpersonal communication", go fig). If your school doesn't have anything by that name, you can check USC's articulation tables for prereqs, it's a pretty comprehensive list of what schools and which classes meet prereqs.

Hello All, new here. i'll be attending the reception on june 19th, and i'm dragging my husband along :love:

I haven't seen/heard anything about a reception. Are we just supposed to know about it through SDN;) or do we actually get some sort of email/invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was also Speech 111 at CC (course name was "Interpersonal communication", go fig). If your school doesn't have anything by that name, you can check USC's articulation tables for prereqs, it's a pretty comprehensive list of what schools and which classes meet prereqs.

thanks I found the table I have to take comm 270 at UW

Farmercyst USC sent me a letter inviting me to the reception, so you might get an invite letter soon. You can bring up to three guest with you to the reception

Cool, I should be able to go to this reception. I'll see you guys there!

Do we need to sign up for the graduate student orientation workshops (8/21,8/23)? It was in my graduate study packet thing that they sent. Thanks!!

I haven't seen/heard anything about a reception. Are we just supposed to know about it through SDN;) or do we actually get some sort of email/invite?

I got an invite through the mail. Here's additional info:

It's on June 19th. Reception officially starts at 6pm. There will be a campus tour and financial aid info starting at 5pm. It'll go until 8:30pm.

You also need to RSVP to Cristina Arteaga at [email protected] by June 6th.

Farmercyst did you take Speech 111 at Valley?

Farmercyst did you take Speech 111 at Valley?

Yeah Summer 2002, can't remember the lady's name though. Nasty looking woman always wearing summer clothes unbefitting an overaged, heavily wrinkled person. (Granted the agedness was probably due to coffee/cigs, but still, ewww)

Do we need to sign up for the graduate student orientation workshops (8/21,8/23)? It was in my graduate study packet thing that they sent. Thanks!!

Along those same lines, do we need to send transcripts the grad student ofc, pharmacy ofc, or both? Each indicated to send them to their own office.

Good question but the pharmacy school only wants us to correspond with them not the main campus...so I assume just the pharmacy ofc

Hello i have a question about the shots, it one of FAQ questions they asked about TB shots being within two months... and was wondering is it 2 months before the deadline or before school starts... it seems like they said that they will not accept results that are 2months and one day.. I don't know if i'm misunderstanding anything. And another thing is that i noticed that USC has its own special forms for its own record do we go to USC and them fill this out itself... sorries i'm alittle confuse any help would greatly be apperciate. Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello i have a question about the shots, it one of FAQ questions they asked about TB shots being within two months... and was wondering is it 2 months before the deadline or before school starts... it seems like they said that they will not accept results that are 2months and one day.. I don't know if i'm misunderstanding anything. And another thing is that i noticed that USC has its own special forms for its own record do we go to USC and them fill this out itself... sorries i'm alittle confuse any help would greatly be apperciate. Thank you

I think the packet said two months before the first day of school on August 27. So any time after June 28 should be fine. As for the forms, I think we are supposed to bring those in so the doctor or nurse can fill them out after the physical or the shots.

Hi everyone, did you all get the package stating your name needs to match on both your social security card and driver's liscence? I know this is required for the boards, but is it required before enrolling b/c my name isn't currently the same. IE John H. Doe vs John Hartfield Doe.

Is it that hard to change it, I'm totally clueless, plus I also got a new social security card just one month ago so I'm not sure if I can get a new one until a later whiles..

I'll call and ask tommorow but I was just wondering in the mean time if anyone else knew. Thanks.

Hi everyone, did you all get the package stating your name needs to match on both your social security card and driver's liscence? I know this is required for the boards, but is it required before enrolling b/c my name isn't currently the same. IE John H. Doe vs John Hartfield Doe.

Is it that hard to change it, I'm totally clueless, plus I also got a new social security card just one month ago so I'm not sure if I can get a new one until a later whiles..

I'll call and ask tommorow but I was just wondering in the mean time if anyone else knew. Thanks.

Hey PolarBear21, I also just changed my Social Security card because it only showed my middle initial. According to the receipt they gave me, you are limited to replacement SSN cards to "three per year and ten per lifetime."

Even though you just got a new one last month I don't think it should be a problem changing the name. The replacement card was free for me since my middle name appeared on my birth certificate (don't forget to bring that with you!).

Oh yeah, one more thing, bring something to read while you're at the SSA building because depending on what time you go you might find yourself having to wait quite a bit of time to see a SSA rep (reminiscent of the DMV:eek:).

Hey PolarBear21, I also just changed my Social Security card because it only showed my middle initial. According to the receipt they gave me, you are limited to replacement SSN cards to "three per year and ten per lifetime."

Even though you just got a new one last month I don't think it should be a problem changing the name. The replacement card was free for me since my middle name appeared on my birth certificate (don't forget to bring that with you!).

Oh yeah, one more thing, bring something to read while you're at the SSA building because depending on what time you go you might find yourself having to wait quite a bit of time to see a SSA rep (reminiscent of the DMV:eek:).

Would it be easier to just change your driver's license. It says they have to match, it doesn't say which one you have to change if they don't.

Would it be easier to just change your driver's license. It says they have to match, it doesn't say which one you have to change if they don't.

I thought about doing that too...but the DMV in CA charges like $20 or something to change your name whereas the other option is completely free of charge.

Plus you probably have to wait longer in line at the DMV compared to the SSA office.

The DMV takes upto 60 days to mail you your new card while the SSA only takes 10 days. Plus, you don't have to deal with the temporary driver's license until your new license arrived if you changed your info at the SSA.

Hello just curious then anybody get an update on finiacial aid? I'm a little new in this finacial aid process, and i don't know what to expect. I turned in all my forms , but is the next step to wait for them to give you a response and then we start applying for loans?

Hello just curious then anybody get an update on finiacial aid? I'm a little new in this finacial aid process, and i don't know what to expect. I turned in all my forms , but is the next step to wait for them to give you a response and then we start applying for loans?

I'll admit it's been 11 years since I received a financial aid letter. I don't quite recall what happened. I know you get a letter indicating what aid you qualify for. I seem to recall having to respond with what aid I was interested in receiving (at that time it was undergrad: Perkins, work study, pell grant.) I'm not sure if it's the same for pharmacy school since work study, perkins and pell grants aren't options. I'm guessing Stafford and PLUS, but not sure what else. USC finaid website said that financial aid letters would be mailed in June. That's about all I know on the matter.

I'll admit it's been 11 years since I received a financial aid letter. I don't quite recall what happened. I know you get a letter indicating what aid you qualify for. I seem to recall having to respond with what aid I was interested in receiving (at that time it was undergrad: Perkins, work study, pell grant.) I'm not sure if it's the same for pharmacy school since work study, perkins and pell grants aren't options. I'm guessing Stafford and PLUS, but not sure what else. USC finaid website said that financial aid letters would be mailed in June. That's about all I know on the matter.

The last time i checked, i was told that FA offer letters would be mailed out at the end of June to beginning of july. Im guessing that is also when we should start worryin about applying for private loans since doing so now is pointless since you don't know what you qualify for. There are the stafford and stafford plus loans with different interest rates. Then there's the unsub and subsidized portions where you either accrue interest right away or don't pay until graduation, respectively. I think the Health Student loan is also a special loans that we may be offered as well, which i think is suppose to replace the "bad" unsub loans that is out there.

they also told me about a $2-4k scholarship for students from low income families. I believe that's the extent of their grants/free money.

Does anyone also have to relace their driver's license, as it doesn't match their SS? I just got a new driver's license just a 2 months ago b/c my license expired. So i'm kinda bummed that i have to get a second one 2 months later just for pharm school! Is there any way around this?

ps: i can't simply replace my SS card b/c it has my new legal name. boo

The last time i checked, i was told that FA offer letters would be mailed out at the end of June to beginning of july. Im guessing that is also when we should start worryin about applying for private loans since doing so now is pointless since you don't know what you qualify for. There are the stafford and stafford plus loans with different interest rates. Then there's the unsub and subsidized portions where you either accrue interest right away or don't pay until graduation, respectively. I think the Health Student loan is also a special loans that we may be offered as well, which i think is suppose to replace the "bad" unsub loans that is out there.

they also told me about a $2-4k scholarship for students from low income families. I believe that's the extent of their grants/free money.

Does anyone also have to relace their driver's license, as it doesn't match their SS? I just got a new driver's license just a 2 months ago b/c my license expired. So i'm kinda bummed that i have to get a second one 2 months later just for pharm school! Is there any way around this?

ps: i can't simply replace my SS card b/c it has my new legal name. boo

$2-4 scholarship? where did you get this information, because I've personally never heard of such a thing existing in the financial aid package from USC. Do you know if we need to apply for that scholarship? any information would be greatly appreciated!

$2-4 scholarship? where did you get this information, because I've personally never heard of such a thing existing in the financial aid package from USC. Do you know if we need to apply for that scholarship? any information would be greatly appreciated!

i think it may only be for first year students. The scholarship requires your parent's tax information and only those who are "low income" are eligible. I'm sure it's very limited. P2,3,4 students have different types of scholarships available to them.

yay! i got the big acceptance envelope from usc last thursday :D I'm going to USC! I have so much catching up to do, but I'm so excited!!:D

fyi....I was number 46/80 on the waiting list. I thought I had no chance, but I guess you can never lose hope. btw, someone will get my spot at Western. woo hoo!

yay! i got the big acceptance envelope from usc last thursday :D I'm going to USC! I have so much catching up to do, but I'm so excited!!:D

fyi....I was number 46/80 on the waiting list. I thought I had no chance, but I guess you can never lose hope. btw, someone will get my spot at Western. woo hoo!

Mucho congrats. Wow, 46 out of 80 already. Surely the other 45 didn't all accept. That'd be like replacing 1/5 the starting class.

Congrats luvJRT!

I remember when we were both on that active consideration list. It's worth the wait right?! :thumbup:

Congrats again!

Im so happy that you got in! How incredible is, that to get in when u'r half way down the list. That's a amazing!

Regarding the health requirements...does anyone know if we'll have to get blood labwork done just to get the actual lab results or can we just have our doctor print out a log of what we're immune to?

Regarding the health requirements...does anyone know if we'll have to get blood labwork done just to get the actual lab results or can we just have our doctor print out a log of what we're immune to?

If I read it right, the only thing they'll take proof of immunization on is the MMR and only if you've had two courses.

Everything else they want proof of immunity (totally different) this requires the blood work.

I was afraid you would say that...I'm scared because I won't have health insurance after I stop working on the 15th. I'm not even sure what kind of appointment I would need to set up for the bloodwork. I'm doing a health appraisal for the other stuff in the packet.

Just make an appointment with family doctor and ask him/her to order a blood test for you. Ask if you can come in before the 15th.

Just make an appointment with family doctor and ask him/her to order a blood test for you. Ask if you can come in before the 15th.

I called my PCP to advise I'd need to send my physical results to USC ( I had the physical done before I got accepted anywhere) I also let them know I'd need titers done for several immunizations. They just told me to bring the list of what I needed and they'd write up the paperwork for the labs.

I wanted to know if anyone who will attend USC this fall stay in the severe housing. If you are then is it a requirement that students sign up for the meal plan, will student get charged for this or is this included in our tuition?:rolleyes:

I wanted to know if anyone who will attend USC this fall stay in the severe housing. If you are then is it a requirement that students sign up for the meal plan, will student get charged for this or is this included in our tuition?:rolleyes:

According to the USC housing website, there is no meal plan requirement at Seaver. So I think that's separate from the rent.

According to the USC housing website, there is no meal plan requirement at Seaver. So I think that's separate from the rent.

Which unlucky souls get to live in Seaver 400 and 412??

:smuggrin::smuggrin:

Hey, luvJRC,
are you sure you are 48 on the list not the top 10? since nobody else posted anything. Congradulations!!

Unfortunately I did not gert my first picks in housing choice, which was Severe single. I have to have a room mate plu I do not get my own room I do not like this decision. Do you guys know of any apartment close t the Pharmacy campus because I am thinking about canceling my housing!

Congratulation! You must be really excited.

Are you sure you were number 46/80 on the waitlist? I am 99% sure that I am 38/80 and I was not contacted at all. I am going to go home and check the number again. I am so confused. But it does give me hope when I had given up.

I am 32 and I was not contacted at all. Are you sure you are 46? I'm tired of having false hope. Please be honest as you can and have some sympathy for those wailisted.

I am 32 and I was not contacted at all. Are you sure you are 46? I'm tired of having false hope. Please be honest as you can and have some sympathy for those wailisted.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that number 46. I have a friend that's number 26 and she still has had no contact. :confused:

Yeah, I'm not sure about that number 46. I have a friend that's number 26 and she still has had no contact. :confused:

I was reading the letter again and it said that the waitlist number is approximate and it could change as the new information comes in such as an updated transcript. I guess that could explain why we weren't contacted.

I also have a question about shots. Recently I moved out of my parent place and lost my vaccination records card. Does this mean I have to take all these shots over again(MMR, Varicella, TB) I am confused!:(

I also have a question about shots. Recently I moved out of my parent place and lost my vaccination records card. Does this mean I have to take all these shots over again(MMR, Varicella, TB) I am confused!:(

Actually, you don't need your vaccination card since it doesn't PROVE that you are immune to the disease. The packet indicates that you have to get a blood test for everything. After my blood work, I came back negative for MMR and Hep B even though i was vaccinated as a child. In summary, vaccination cards won't do u anygood .. just make an appointment and get your blood work done .. there's no way out of it.

I called sc last week about the waitlist and they said that the number ranks we were given were just approximations that can change. So far only 5 or 6 people have been taken off the list. And as of last week there were no available seats, so we waitlister just need to wait and hope for more seats to open up. It's still mid-June so there are still about 2 more months, just need to hang in there.

I called this AM after I finished my lab work. Apparently, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of this, if you haven't finished a full immunization course (in my case 2 out of 3 HepB) your titers will come back negative. I called USC since I won't finish my course until Aug/Sept and apparently you have still have to do the titers after the immuno course has been finished. I get to get poked again apparently.:mad:

Hi, to those of you who were number 46,23 and 30 can I ask what were your STATS? GPA and EC?
I am applying for next year and I kind of want to know what my chances are! Thank you! :)

Hello all

To those of you who have already got in or know more about the application, what is the early decision program? If you sign up they consider you earlier?! Is there a fee? Does it worth it? Appreciate your help!:)

Hello all

To those of you who have already got in or know more about the application, what is the early decision program? If you sign up they consider you earlier?! Is there a fee? Does it worth it? Appreciate your help!:)

USC doesn't do ED. They are on rolling admissions so in that sense if you submit your application early they can consider you early. No extra fees beyond normal. It's always worth it to get your name in early (unless you hastily prepare a sloppy application to accomplish an early date)

Im 40/80 on the waitlist and i haven't heard anything from usc. i also haven't sent in the financial aid stuff that is due like um..a month ago? i dunno if my not sending in those basic financial aid stuff would influence their decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.