USC application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the info. By any chances, does anyone know about the prep s. PFM, Amalgam CLASS II, 3/4 or ????? and on which tooth..........

Members don't see this ad.

nebody needs wax blocks.. I hv them as I had bought them 4 last year interview at USC. I wll prefer to sell them all to one person instead of dividing them betw 2-3 people. pls PM asap as u wll need time to practise on them.

Hi Guys, is anybody know in practical exam how typhodont gonna be - mouted to table top or you can hold it in hand?
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Alexi!!!! R u sure?

Thanks Alexi!!!! R u sure?
Yes, I'm sure that last year the applicants hold the typodonts/ no Manikin.
If anybody knows the Prep s , PFM, 3/4 Class II and on which tooth, plz POST.

They keep changing the tooth every year..!

Yes, I'm sure that last year the applicants hold the typodonts/ no Manikin.
If anybody knows the Prep s , PFM, 3/4 Class II and on which tooth, plz POST.

Hi Guys, is anybody know in practical exam how typhodont gonna be - mouted to table top or you can hold it in hand?
Thanks!!!!!!!!

You can hold it in hand. But I have heard that USC dean has changed last year and might implement a change. So I would suggest to be prepared to work on manikin also. We did table top last year and its easy in compare to preps on manikin. So competition is always tuff for USC. more over they dont have one on one interview so the only place you can show your talent is bench test. Work hard for that guys.:thumbup:

You can hold it in hand. But I have heard that USC dean has changed last year and might implement a change. So I would suggest to be prepared to work on manikin also. We did table top last year and its easy in compare to preps on manikin. So competition is always tuff for USC. more over they dont have one on one interview so the only place you can show your talent is bench test. Work hard for that guys.:thumbup:

Hi, I am new to SDN and actually I'm invited to USC interview.. I read your reply, so it is possible that the preps be on manikin?

Hi, I am new to SDN and actually I'm invited to USC interview.. I read your reply, so it is possible that the preps be on manikin?

Dear determine, There is no way to predict how and what can be asked in the interview any where around the nation. Just to be on safer side try to have hands on with manikin also. because only USC allows table top preparations and that can be changed to manikin any year! Just be well prepared.

why are you guys wasting your time thinking abt manikins and stuff, do you think if they want us to use them, they should have mentioned in the equipment list to buy or rent or watever.. A university like USC if tells us to buy everything starting from handpieces slow/ high speed to typodonts or wax blocks, do you think they would provide us with their own precious lab manikins??????? its high time, start practising preps and class 2's after you have gathered all the required instruments, dont waste time thinking on manikin heads.. good luck

:thumbup:
Very well said Toothfairyqueen !

why are you guys wasting your time thinking abt manikins and stuff, do you think if they want us to use them, they should have mentioned in the equipment list to buy or rent or watever.. A university like USC if tells us to buy everything starting from handpieces slow/ high speed to typodonts or wax blocks, do you think they would provide us with their own precious lab manikins??????? its high time, start practising preps and class 2's after you have gathered all the required instruments, dont waste time thinking on manikin heads.. good luck

Dear tooth fairyqueen, you don't go to exams for free. you pay the fees to use their labs. USC don't recommend to work on manikin but loma linda, UCLA, UCSF, UOP, every where you gonna take exams strictly on manikins. so if you just have USC then you are lucky as they make it easy by table top exam. But exam will be held in sim lab and you gonna practice on the same table with manikins and instrument set up just like other universities. but you will be allowed to prep on table top. What I previously recommended "practice on manikin" was to address other students who are preparing for USC as well as other schools too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear tooth fairyqueen, you don't go to exams for free. you pay the fees to use their labs. USC don't recommend to work on manikin but loma linda, UCLA, UCSF, UOP, every where you gonna take exams strictly on manikins. so if you just have USC then you are lucky as they make it easy by table top exam. But exam will be held in sim lab and you gonna practice on the same table with manikins and instrument set up just like other universities. but you will be allowed to prep on table top. What I previously recommended "practice on manikin" was to address other students who are preparing for USC as well as other schools too.

UCLA is bench top:)

I was also very lucky to have interviewed at UTHSCSA, Colorado, Loma Linda:they were on manikins as well as VCU where it was not only manikin but the dentsim, where it was softtware monitored and evaluated bench test. I didnt confront you or anything but just tellling the interviewees to practice the imp part first....Nothing against you, krish :) You hv been helpful always but so am I

Can't believe..got an invite today.. and it's giving me jitters.Thinking of wax carving(Which I haven't done in ages) and RPD designing.Do they ask basic things abour RPD designing or details?Will we have to really do something?

Can't believe..got an invite today.. and it's giving me jitters.Thinking of wax carving(Which I haven't done in ages) and RPD designing.Do they ask basic things abour RPD designing or details?Will we have to really do something?

hey golden doc ..can u please share ur stats so that we know what is usc considedring..it will be a huge favour

No idea what they are considering.. I guess I was on their alternate list..
My stats:
NBDE part 1- 89
GPA- 3.89
TOEFL- 113

I was also very lucky to have interviewed at UTHSCSA, Colorado, Loma Linda:they were on manikins as well as VCU where it was not only manikin but the dentsim, where it was softtware monitored and evaluated bench test. I didnt confront you or anything but just tellling the interviewees to practice the imp part first....Nothing against you, krish :) You hv been helpful always but so am I
OMG VCU was the hardest 11 hours bench test ..No no was not only a bench test ..it was written test , densim ,minikins and bench test!!l I pray for everybody took the test to get in school including me:)

hi there does anybody know how many applicants are gone be interviewed this year at USC on 8 and 9 oct. thanks

suggestions please.. as to how to prepare for RPD designing.. Hwat do they make you do?

Did anyone get any confirmation email or any update after sending the $100 exam fee????

I think they call more when the people they've invited reject the call.

Hello friends I have one question about carving that do we have to carve the tooth with base or without base? Please help. Thank you.

Hi

I have got Kavo typodont can I get it to the interview/exam. It is the push type/friction grip one. Will they allow me to work on that ? Its gingiva is compressible although not very flexible.Seniors please reply.

Thanks

Hello friends I have one question about carving that do we have to carve the tooth with base or without base? Please help. Thank you.

Good question. I would ask the exam supervisor if they ask wax carving in the exam. I practiced without the base type.

I jus got an email from USC...thy mentioned formal interview..does tht mean like ther will be no group discussion this time??

Does anyone know if we decide to rent the equipment, what other instrument should we still buy,?,, tnx

Last edited:
I jus got an email from USC...thy mentioned formal interview..does tht mean like ther will be no group discussion this time??

it doesnt seem like, it but either way just do your best, and be yourself. Oooze confidence! Good luck!

I got accepted at virginia so not going coz saving money :), usc tuition is higher than VCU so no use getting accepted, lastly why not getting out of the way from 1:4 acceptance ratio.. I know someone else would benefit by me declining it.. good luck...

Good Luck to all of you!! Do your best~~

Today's experience was good.. had a good time interacting with others..

So what did you guys prepare? I think #8 was PFM but what about # 14?