USC Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so does anyone know how we can go about parking? when can wee sign up for it? I went to UCLA and parking was a major hassle so i'm really paranoid about parking. I can't stand parking over two miles away from campus or running to meters and begging for change.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys...I have 2 questions:

1. When do we apply for parking?

2. Did you guys receive a letter regarding FinAid (because they said my fin aid file is incomplete). Im having trouble logging in....any help?

Thanks Jon

My experience with USC on street parking has been pretty good. I have visited the campus mor than fifty times during school year and I have found parking on street. THe only misshap was when my frineds car was broken into and the dashboard was cut, but I have an old car. And yeah they haven't updated the financial aid site at USC. Its just a blank screen with options.

COngrads!!

I love the brojan idea... That's soo cool!

jonnytight said:
Hey guys...I have 2 questions:

1. When do we apply for parking?

2. Did you guys receive a letter regarding FinAid (because they said my fin aid file is incomplete). Im having trouble logging in....any help?

Thanks Jon

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not ask Eva, our angel?

She will answer your question.

Send her e-mail.

Parking is nothing. I am worring about tuition. :scared:

See ya

Did you hear that the boards are going to be case based starting next year?

yah ive been hearing that for a while now (not necessarily this year but sometime), you might be right....it might be this year.....ive also heard that they have already started to sneak some in here and there throughout the test

I hope this gives us an edge.

My fiance got a job in south bay (torrance, redondo beach, manhattan, etc) and it looks like I am going to live in that direction. Does anyone have any idea what time PBL sessions start or if we will be driving the 110 during rush hour traffic? I am trying to determine where we should live based on my morning, or afternoon commute. Would it be an advantage to live in torrance or gardena to be closer to the freeway? Thanks!

did any one else get any information regarding financial aid? I got a letter saying that my info is incomplete, but I have filled out and sent back all the necessary forms. the USC OASIS website isn't much help.... I've been trying to call the FA office but no one picks up. I want to make sure everything is okay before I go on a 3 week trip next week.

Johnson22 said:
My fiance got a job in south bay (torrance, redondo beach, manhattan, etc) and it looks like I am going to live in that direction. Does anyone have any idea what time PBL sessions start or if we will be driving the 110 during rush hour traffic? I am trying to determine where we should live based on my morning, or afternoon commute. Would it be an advantage to live in torrance or gardena to be closer to the freeway? Thanks!

The class is split up into morning and afternoon sessions. The first semester one group will meet in the mornings and the other group comes in in the afternoon. Then this switches and the second semester the morning group goes in the afternoon etc. Depending on which group you will be placed in, half the year you will be in traffic in the mornings and the other half you will be in traffic in the afternoon. I know many people in my class that live in the areas you mentioned at its fine for them..definite possibility. Also, just for more info...your second year all groups pretty much start at 8 and end at 5 cuz you start having lab 4 times a week.

Here is the deal with parking:

I have been very pleased with having a permit int he main parking lot structure (this is structure B). This is where most students at the dental school park. There is always space and its close to the dental school, gym and food court. It is expensive..but here are your other options.....You can get a spot in the shrine, it is less expensive I think but it is a bit farther and you have to cross busy streets, but it is decent option. The other option is metered parking. I know a lot of people who do this but from what I see its totally incovenient becasue there is a 4 hour limit and you have to move your car to another spot every 4 hours if you plan to stay longer than that, which is usually what happens. Plus you wont be able to find meters close to school and you have to end up walking a block or two. Permits for the structure start to sell mid may I think and you can buy them online. Im sure eva will send you an email about it soon.

Hope this helps.

tatadds said:
Here is the deal with parking:

I have been very pleased with having a permit int he main parking lot structure (this is structure B). This is where most students at the dental school park. There is always space and its close to the dental school, gym and food court. It is expensive..but here are your other options.....You can get a spot in the shrine, it is less expensive I think but it is a bit farther and you have to cross busy streets, but it is decent option. The other option is metered parking. I know a lot of people who do this but from what I see its totally incovenient becasue there is a 4 hour limit and you have to move your car to another spot every 4 hours if you plan to stay longer than that, which is usually what happens. Plus you wont be able to find meters close to school and you have to end up walking a block or two. Permits for the structure start to sell mid may I think and you can buy them online. Im sure eva will send you an email about it soon.

Hope this helps.

tatadds: have you enjoyed your experience so far at USC? Thanks for all the help about parking and PBL schedules!

jonnytight said:
Brojan!!!! thats soo freakin funny....yah add me to that list. Im a "brojan"

Heheh bro!

This years football game, I would bet on UCLA though.

Why?

Look, since I attended UCLA they lost all football game against USC till now.

Pull my hair.

But at the moment I attend USC all the curse will move to SC.

Oh oh I am worrying about terrorism.

:scared:

I should not say I am from UCLA when I am in SC.

ehhee

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody received any financial aid info? I got a letter saying I could check my financial aid eligibility on the USC website and that if this is my first year I should have already received a packet of information. Has anyone gotten anything besides this letter?

Johnson22 said:
tatadds: have you enjoyed your experience so far at USC? Thanks for all the help about parking and PBL schedules!
Hey I'm a 1st year student at USCSD. The PBL experience is very very subjective. I, myself, really like the program because it really helps me retain a lot of information. You have to be very self-motivated to do well in this program. Many students dislike the program because you have to rely on finding different resources on a particular subject and some don't like the fact that you're learning your basic sciences from a case study. As for myself, I really enjoy it because I can relate a certain medical condition to a person, as opposed to just words in a textbook. You will find students at USCSD on all sides of the spectrum. As I stated before, it depends on what sort of learner you are. Do you take initiative? Another thing some students dislike is relying on your groupmates on teaching you specific subjects. But as I said, if a group member does poorly on their research, any student can take the initiative and do additional research on a subject. The program is changing all the time. Many of the 2nd years say that we have to do a lot more learning than they did and we are doing some of the same things in lab as the 3rd years. I'm sure that the c/o 2009 will be doing more than we are currently doing, but that is for their own advantage. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your future endeavors. Go Trojans!

By the way, tatadds definitely knows what she's talking about. She is one of my favorite people in the dental school!!

Oh yea another thing. Metered parking is not all it's cut out to be. Unfortunately they really cracked down at USC. Ive been lucky a few times (parked an hour over and no ticket). Other times...not so lucky. Ive gotten about 4 parking tickets since I started last fall!!!!! And one was given to me as I was WALKING UP to my car!!! I was maybe 1 minute over (and Im not exagerrating). Parking enforcement needs something better to do with their time or stop being so bitter at the world!!! :smuggrin:

Hello Everybody,
Well, I will be around by mid August. I am excited about USC and think we will have a blast. Go Trojans!! I've always been a Notre Dame fan but not anymore!!

Just bought my parking permit for Lob B!!

good luck USC c/o 2009!

Is there a dress code when you are not wearing scrubs?

Johnson22 said:
Is there a dress code when you are not wearing scrubs?

nope, feel free to wear your street clothes.

I got it on Lot B

I had to wait 30 min ago in front of my computer.

Hah, what a lottery!

:smuggrin:

Dress Code?

This is 7 letter dress code: BJTSSNS (This code is encrypted in 128bit)

:laugh:

Hello everyone!
How do you guys find out about your financial aid award. I mean, I've already put in my deposit and am uncertain about my financial situation status at USC. How will did you guys found out? Exactly how much money you get for tuition based on expected family and myself contribution (EFC) of zero, nada (determined by FAFSA). Any info on this would be highly appreciated! Thanks!! :)

I checked my financial aid by going to the OASIS website (I am not a USC undergrad student so I had to use my SSN and birthdate as my password) and clicking on the Financial Aid summary...I wasnt sure if this was the website to look at but it gave a financial aid summary for 05-06. Does anyone know when we'll be hearing about living arrangements. Right now I have no idea where ill be living. And luckily I was able to get a parking pass in PSB...do you guys know if we can just buy the permits by semester?

Cornball714 said:
I checked my financial aid by going to the OASIS website (I am not a USC undergrad student so I had to use my SSN and birthdate as my password) and clicking on the Financial Aid summary...I wasnt sure if this was the website to look at but it gave a financial aid summary for 05-06. Does anyone know when we'll be hearing about living arrangements. Right now I have no idea where ill be living. And luckily I was able to get a parking pass in PSB...do you guys know if we can just buy the permits by semester?

It would be a good idea to start a post for USC class of 2009ers roomate hunt
;)

check this out guys, i was browsing some older posts, and some comments concernin CA boards on usc made me depressed...

"Someone from usc told me that last year only 50% of usc students passed the Ca boards."

and

"hopefully, i am not really sure...
i just know the usc always does the worse...
i THINK it was UOP>UCLA>UCSF/LomaLinda>USC... not sure about the 3 in the middle..."

source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=67589&highlight=ucla+waitlist

at first i was excited at the prospect of being a uscsod student, but now im not sure anymore...what do you guys think?

Even though it does not really work, durring orientation they will tell you that if your not wearing scrubs, you have to wear professional attire i.e. no jeans, sandals etc. We followed the rules for about 3 days and now we all pretty much wear jeans, but you cant get caught in front of the wrong people. Just a warning for you 2009ers cuz this was hard for us 2008ers to handle.

Hmmm, That is a problem.

I heard that USC is doing pretty good on national board I. usually within top 10.

But I heard that in rest of exam they messsed up.

Well, if you get accepted other school, you may go there :smuggrin:

But think about it, this means that there were 50% student who passed CA board right? You will be one of them if you are not lazy.

Heheh
:thumbdown:

jurrel said:
check this out guys, i was browsing some older posts, and some comments concernin CA boards on usc made me depressed...

"Someone from usc told me that last year only 50% of usc students passed the Ca boards."

and

"hopefully, i am not really sure...
i just know the usc always does the worse...
i THINK it was UOP>UCLA>UCSF/LomaLinda>USC... not sure about the 3 in the middle..."

source: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=67589&highlight=ucla+waitlist

at first i was excited at the prospect of being a uscsod student, but now im not sure anymore...what do you guys think?

penguinteeth said:
Hmmm, That is a problem.

I heard that USC is doing pretty good on national board I. usually within top 10.

But I heard that in rest of exam they messsed up.

Well, if you get accepted other school, you may go there :smuggrin:

But think about it, this means that there were 50% student who passed CA board right? You will be one of them if you are not lazy.

Heheh
:thumbdown:

Compared to UOP's 95% passing rate, usc's 50% sounds like a school not worth the amount of money they charge us. i do hope i am wrong though.

We need to check those stats carefully.

I heard that USC guys just don't care after Board 1.

I don't think it is 50% but their specialties were already decided by board I,

Yup, I need to check what is happening by that 50% stuff.

jurrel said:
Compared to UOP's 95% passing rate, usc's 50% sounds like a school not worth the amount of money they charge us. i do hope i am wrong though.

Does anyone know if USC Dental requires a specific type of laptop?

Im looking into laptops and I will prob buy one before school starts so I wanted to know if I should be looking for a specific brand/model.

jonnytight said:
Does anyone know if USC Dental requires a specific type of laptop?

Im looking into laptops and I will prob buy one before school starts so I wanted to know if I should be looking for a specific brand/model.

i asked ryan, and he said a laptop isnt required, just recommended.

Do they recommend a specific model?

Also totally off the topic, I know at UCLA the students have some patient records/examinations on file via the computer and they tap into their laptops to access that info during the clinic. My question is: Does USC do the same where they have electronic patient files or are they solely paper based?

Thanks

jurrel said:

No specific model is recommended..just get one with a lot of memory because you will be using your computer to do almost everything and all your learning comes from research done by you and your peers transmited via email. As for the patient records..USC is slowly becoming completely electronic.. they are almost there. There is a computer with every chair for you to access and update the patients record. So comparing to UCLA where it seems the computers are provided by the students, USC has them already there for you. I am not sure exactly how UCLA does it though.

Is there anyone thats on Friendster, Orkut, Facebook thats in the Class of 09?

-Jon

jonnytight said:
Is there anyone thats on Friendster, Orkut, Facebook thats in the Class of 09?

-Jon

Facebook baby!!

hey...what about using a mac vs. pc? I love my mac and have been saving up for a new powerbook and would be disappointed if I had to get a pc instead.

Any thoughts or preferences from current students?

Don't get an ibook or a powerbook yet! The new G5 notebooks should be out soon. I have an Ibook and with a free MS office download, I can do everything. Yet, I'm switching back to a pc(more business friendly)

G5 powerbook is hindered

CPU is just too hot.

Seriously,

I don't think they can solve this problem this year.

I have powerbook G4 and it is not that good. just go for PC with AMD64.

I strongly recommend.

:smuggrin:

But I am sure it doesn't matter in USC now. They don't specify laptop.

Quite a large packet I just got in the mail. We have a lot to do before class begins!

Johnson22 said:
Quite a large packet I just got in the mail. We have a lot to do before class begins!

I hear ya, the health screening requirements are a bitch. I don't even remember where I left those :smuggrin:

Has anyone applied for the Summer Research Program at USC for this summer?

TTYL
-Jon

jurrel said:

Why...did you take your laptop apart?