USC Class of 2012: Trojan Family Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
USC is still sending me correspondence... so I must be enrolled still. Maybe this week another spot will open up.

Members don't see this ad.

Just some general questions for current students,

For the USC pharmacy externships (in year I), how many hours/per week to complete? Is it a good/bad idea to complete the externship at the assigned site and intern at another pharmacy at the same time?? How do pharm students make this work while studying at school??

:confused::scared::confused:

IPPE's are done in 4 week rotations. During those four weeks you'll have a class on either Monday or Tuesday (depending on whether you're Hospital or Community rotation). Class goes 1-4. On Wed and Thurs you'll be at your site from 1-6. Some preceptors may let you go earlier than 6. Most intern positions are very flexible with hours because they know we've got mid-terms, IPPE, and other obligations outside of work that are pretty much mandatory. So you can work and do IPPE's it just requires some good juggling skills.

Are there any externships in specific hospitals that someone can recommend? Or at a community pharmacy? Or does it even matter??

Members don't see this ad :)
IPPE's are done in 4 week rotations. During those four weeks you'll have a class on either Monday or Tuesday (depending on whether you're Hospital or Community rotation). Class goes 1-4. On Wed and Thurs you'll be at your site from 1-6. Some preceptors may let you go earlier than 6. Most intern positions are very flexible with hours because they know we've got mid-terms, IPPE, and other obligations outside of work that are pretty much mandatory. So you can work and do IPPE's it just requires some good juggling skills.

I thought classes were only from 8 to noon everyday? So we are going to also have classes on M and W from 1 - 4? :confused:

I thought classes were only from 8 to noon everyday? So we are going to also have classes on M and W from 1 - 4? :confused:

I think probably what he meant was that the externship class itself takes place from 1-4pm on M or T, while the externship training at your assigned site takes place from 1-6pm on W and R. I believe this is probably in addition to the "normal" classes you have from 8-12noon everyday. The externship itself lasts about 4 weeks for each semester.

I think probably what he meant was that the externship class itself takes place from 1-4pm on M or T, while the externship training at your assigned site takes place from 1-6pm on W and R. I believe this is probably in addition to the "normal" classes you have from 8-12noon everyday. The externship itself lasts about 4 weeks for each semester.

This is correct. 8-12 M-F is not for the entire semester. We did 8-12 M-R and 8-3 on F. During the 4 weeks you're assigned to your externship site you will also have the schedule as given by BruTroj.

Has anyone received their financial packages in the mail yet?

I'm asking this because some people have gotten theirs already and I'm still waiting for mine to come...

Has anyone received their financial packages in the mail yet?

I'm asking this because some people have gotten theirs already and I'm still waiting for mine to come...

I got mine through email, but not in the regular mail yet.

I got mine through email, but not in the regular mail yet.

same here... i received an email a while ago, but nothing in the mail... i heard via the FA office that we will all receive something from them in the mail in July.

I got a letter updating my status at USC , I have moved up 13 places :))but still not as bright chances I guess. Unlike last time they didnt put how many people were on waitlist total, it just says my rank. Has anyone else recieved the same letter? with the waitlist total?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a letter updating my status at USC , I have moved up 13 places :))but still not as bright chances I guess. Unlike last time they didnt put how many people were on waitlist total, it just says my rank. Has anyone else recieved the same letter? with the waitlist total?

I haven't got anything from USC since the last letter stating my rank. Oh, may I ask where you live?? South Cal?

I got my letter today too. Good news is that I moved up 13 spots. Bad news is that it still makes no difference. Every ounce of false hope is now spent and I am officially resigning from USC on Mon.

I got my updated waitlist status today too... I have moved up 11 spots..now, I am ranked 23.... Sigh... I don't know if I should be happy about this..:oops::oops:

I haven't received anything from the FA office yet, are we suppose to do anything meanwhile?

As much as it will break my heart to withdraw from USC, I will be leaving my friends, family, and girlfriend, I have just been pulled off UOP's waitlist. Economically, UOP is a much better choice. I'm sure i wont have much as much fun and wont have the branded sc pride/family, but this is the decision i'm going to make. Good luck to all of you.

As much as it will break my heart to withdraw from USC, I will be leaving my friends, family, and girlfriend, I have just been pulled off UOP's waitlist. Economically, UOP is a much better choice. I'm sure i wont have much as much fun and wont have the branded sc pride/family, but this is the decision i'm going to make. Good luck to all of you.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Your withdrawal from USC lights up my life again. I hope that I could the lucky one who gets your spot. And Thanks Again!

I noticed that acceptance letters are mailed approx 4-5 weeks after interview and require that you respond in 2 weeks for intent to enroll (plus a $500 deposit). Is this true for those who accepted USC's offer (im guessing because its rolling admissions?)? I'm curious because acceptance letters for other schools don't come until spring so you never know if you want to jump in or not.

is the prereq intercommunication for UCS different from the usual public speaking prereq for most pharm schools? Also it says i need 1 biochem class and 1 Molecular bio class, im planning on taking the entre biochem series (3 classes) will it replace the molecular bio class or do i have to take it separately too?

is the prereq intercommunication for UCS different from the usual public speaking prereq for most pharm schools? Also it says i need 1 biochem class and 1 Molecular bio class, im planning on taking the entre biochem series (3 classes) will it replace the molecular bio class or do i have to take it separately too?

For the public speaking... i know when I had applied (last year) it was intercommunication (which is different from all of the other schools' requirements)... But you should double check because I heard they were considering going back to the regular public speaking.

As for the Biochem and molecular bio... i'm not sure... you should contact someone at USC (probably via email - so you have it in writing)... and double check.

I noticed that acceptance letters are mailed approx 4-5 weeks after interview and require that you respond in 2 weeks for intent to enroll (plus a $500 deposit). Is this true for those who accepted USC's offer (im guessing because its rolling admissions?)? I'm curious because acceptance letters for other schools don't come until spring so you never know if you want to jump in or not.

Actually what I experienced last year was that letters came about 3 weeks after the interview for USC (regardless if it was acceptance/active consideration/rejection)... and that is usually the same trend for most schools (at least what I experienced). In fact, my acceptance letter for Western came about a week after my interview, and for Loma Linda I think it was 2 weeks after my interview. It really depends on when your interview is... if you have an interview in Nov/Dec.. you'll hear from them in the fall... if its Jan/Feb/Mar.. then you'll hear from them in the spring.

check the usc website for what they consider course equivalents to your current school (or wherever you plan to take the prereqs).

http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/pharmd/admission/equivalencies.html

Taking the biochem series won't replace the molecular class. Molecular is more closely related to genetics than biochem. Use the course equivalencies link above to see which class will work for the molecular.

Taking the biochem series won't replace the molecular class. Molecular is more closely related to genetics than biochem. Use the course equivalencies link above to see which class will work for the molecular.

My 3 quarters Biochem series did satisfy it. Your best bet is to look at the course equivalency website mentioned earlier. If that doesn't answer your question shoot an email to the school with your college and course details.

The biology department at my school offered: Structural Biochem, Metabolics, and Molecular Bio. (But molecular bio is not a replacement for genetics).

If you were a chemistry student, you had 3 corresponding classes that basically covered the same thing in the biochem series offered by the chemistry department, they are just named differently and they go into more depth about the chemistry behind the topics. Hence, my undergrad school won't let you take the corresponding classes again in the other department to boost your grades =). But who in their sane mind would want to take these classes twice.

Last edited:
For the public speaking... i know when I had applied (last year) it was intercommunication (which is different from all of the other schools' requirements)... But you should double check because I heard they were considering going back to the regular public speaking.

As for the Biochem and molecular bio... i'm not sure... you should contact someone at USC (probably via email - so you have it in writing)... and double check.

I called in to USC at the beginning of June to see about the speech requirement (if they were going to allow public speaking instead of just only interpersonal communication). They said they were going to vote on the matter and approve by the end of June. The rep said that if and when they approve, everything would be updated on the Course Equivalency page. I have since checked that page, and it is in fact updated. So the final result is:

PUBLIC SPEAKING IS NOW ACCEPTED!!! :laugh: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My 3 quarters Biochem series did satisfy it. Your best bet is to look at the course equivalency website mentioned earlier. QUOTE]

Yeah, checked the course equivalencies for my school and the only thing listed for molecular was BIO 400 "Molecular Biology", just goes to show that course equivalencies vary from school to school.

Oh, and for the "communications" requirement listed on the course equivalencies link, it says it'll take either public speaking or interpersonal communications. (at least at the CC I took mine at).

They should have made everyone take it this year and changed the requirement for NEXT year's applicants. All of you who got lazy with that prerequisite lucked out.

Anyone receive anything from Financial Aid recently? We were told at the Welcome Reception to wait for something in the mail, but I haven't received anything yet.

I received a letter from the university park health center a while back and by the looks of their requirement, I seem to have completed everything. BUT when I called Eric Cohen health center, they tell me I have to get a physical, prove immunity, etc etc.. Soooo confused?! does anyone know what the requirements are?

The requirements are:
1. Prove immunity within 6 mos. of school start date by blood titer for.. Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, and Hepatitis B
2. Obtain a skin tuberculosis test TWO months prior to school start date and, if you get a positive result, you need a chest x-ray to confirm that you are TB-free.
3. Tetanus booster unless you can show proof you've been shot up in the last 5 years.
You need to prove all of this by having a physician complete the immunization form and attach copies of your lab reports/history showing positive immunity.

I spoke with Mr. Granderson regarding the due date of August 1st (giving us basically just July to get the TB test). His instructions were to send in what you have. The Health Center says "No Extensions will be given" but if you are late there is not much they can do. If you do not have everything done by the start of school they will basically work with you to get it done. So don't stress, my appointment to finish everything up couldn't be scheduled until July 31st so I will no be able to send it in until at least the first week in August.

The requirements are:
1. Prove immunity within 6 mos. of school start date by blood titer for.. Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, and Hepatitis B
2. Obtain a skin tuberculosis test TWO months prior to school start date and, if you get a positive result, you need a chest x-ray to confirm that you are TB-free.
3. Tetanus booster unless you can show proof you've been shot up in the last 5 years.
You need to prove all of this by having a physician complete the immunization form and attach copies of your lab reports/history showing positive immunity.

I spoke with Mr. Granderson regarding the due date of August 1st (giving us basically just July to get the TB test). His instructions were to send in what you have. The Health Center says "No Extensions will be given" but if you are late there is not much they can do. If you do not have everything done by the start of school they will basically work with you to get it done. So don't stress, my appointment to finish everything up couldn't be scheduled until July 31st so I will no be able to send it in until at least the first week in August.

Yeah, I didn't get my Hep B finished and verified by titers until January this year. They said most of the hospitals require verification of completion which means at the least you'll have to have the requirements completed by start of 2nd semester (case in point, me.) Otherwise, I wouldn't stress too much about it. By all means get them done, but don't lose sleep over it.

Haha, yeah, I called them and the lady sounded like she knew about us pharmacy students :D She was really nice, too.

For anyone out there just looking to get titers done, I called around and the cheapest I found is at the USC Student health center on HSC. You just have to go into the student health center and tell them you're an incoming pharm student and they'll refer you to some other building (next door??) for the actual lab work. Total for all 5 titers comes to $97.30. I was going to ask some other questions too (anyone know if they do chest xrays>?) but phone got disconnected and it's really hard to get someone from the student health center on the phone (usually goes direct to answering service :thumbdown:).

I just called the USC Eric Cohen health center on HSC. The lady said the total for all 5 titers will be $145. Did they raise the charge?

Office visit $25
Measles, Rubella, Hep B $20 each
Mumps, Vericella $30 each

I just called the USC Eric Cohen health center on HSC. The lady said the total for all 5 titers will be $145. Did they raise the charge?

Office visit $25
Measles, Rubella, Hep B $20 each
Mumps, Vericella $30 each

I think I paid 38 for HepB and another 38 for Rubella.
I believe Mumps(??) can be waived if you've had 2 MMRs (documentation required)

let's have a round of applause for the laundry list of university fees that just got posted on our oasis accounts

Hi, all waitlisters....

Have you guys heard anything from USC regarding your spots??

I sent them an e-mail, but no one replies me... This endless waiting is really killing me... :scared::scared:

Hi, all waitlisters....

Have you guys heard anything from USC regarding your spots??

I sent them an e-mail, but no one replies me... This endless waiting is really killing me... :scared::scared:

Nothing yet. Just got updated on my wailist spot couple of weeks ago.#66

Nothing yet. Just got updated on my wailist spot couple of weeks ago.#66

Yeah, I got that letter too... I hope that my number on the waitlist has been changed since that time...

Hi everyone!!!! Just want to congratulate all who got in... and good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back. I'm a 4th year student now and it seemed like yesterday I was reading these boards as an entering Year 1 student. I forgot my password and username cuz I hadnt logged in for ages... :) I was googling about financial aid lenders and happened to stumble on SDN again.. If you guys have any questions for me.. just ask... hopefully I can log on often enough and help you guys out!! :love:

btw.... you guys have to find your own lenders.. the school doesnt do that for you.. they just tell you and your lender how much you can take out in loans...

The school has a list of recommended lenders but it's not complete. I went with Discover student loans as I thought it was the best. 0% origination fees, 0% default fee, and 0.25% off the interest rate if you put it on automatic deduction from your bank account.

USC Credit Union this year has 1% origination, no default fee, 0.25% off if they can deduct automatically from the USC Credit union bank account (you have to open an account with them and it costs $10)

Citibank is pretty good too.. I was debating between those two only... (citi and discover)

All lenders give some sort of discount, rebate type thing so you have to compare it. I would recommend you get those fees taken off right off the bat on the front end rather than bank on getting fees taken off at the end because banks can pretty much change their terms whenever they want if they want to be sneaky about it...

For example... they can offer 0.5% off if you make 24 timely payments but it's easy to mess up on that.. I've heard people say they mailed it in on time but the bank just posts it a day late (dunno if on purpose or what) but that just screws you over and u cant get that interest deduction...

Plus it depends on whether you want to pay them off early, 10 years or 25 years...

BTW -- the feds limit banks to charge 1% MAX on origination and 1% max on default if you're looking for a GRAD stafford loan at Fixed 6.8%. So no bank can charge more than that but they can offer the discounts on the interest rate or not charge those upfront fees so that's where they differ....

In my opinion tho.... they're pretty much all the same..
Between Citibank and Discover... It was a $900 difference at the very end which is pennies considering the 10 year repayment time.... so i wouldnt stress too much about who you lend from...

side note: I was on hold on the phone with Citibank for half an hour and disconnected twice... Got thru to discover within a min..... dunno if that matters hahah.. but customer service matters to me.. heck im gonna have to deal with them for years so i might as well take that into consideration too.. :)

the process: The discover site has a simple application that took 5 minutes to finish... you get a master promissary note that is emailed to the school.. school certifies it.. discover sends school the money.. you'll see it in your oasis... you're done.... if you dont see it.. you have to go to "settlement" during orientation.. meaning talk to the financial aid people and they just check on it..

hope this helps some of u!

btw.... you guys have to find your own lenders.. the school doesnt do that for you.. they just tell you and your lender how much you can take out in loans...

The school has a list of recommended lenders but it's not complete. I went with Discover student loans as I thought it was the best. 0% origination fees, 0% default fee, and 0.25% off the interest rate if you put it on automatic deduction from your bank account.

USC Credit Union this year has 1% origination, no default fee, 0.25% off if they can deduct automatically from the USC Credit union bank account (you have to open an account with them and it costs $10)

Citibank is pretty good too.. I was debating between those two only... (citi and discover)

All lenders give some sort of discount, rebate type thing so you have to compare it. I would recommend you get those fees taken off right off the bat on the front end rather than bank on getting fees taken off at the end because banks can pretty much change their terms whenever they want if they want to be sneaky about it...

For example... they can offer 0.5% off if you make 24 timely payments but it's easy to mess up on that.. I've heard people say they mailed it in on time but the bank just posts it a day late (dunno if on purpose or what) but that just screws you over and u cant get that interest deduction...

Plus it depends on whether you want to pay them off early, 10 years or 25 years...

BTW -- the feds limit banks to charge 1% MAX on origination and 1% max on default if you're looking for a GRAD stafford loan at Fixed 6.8%. So no bank can charge more than that but they can offer the discounts on the interest rate or not charge those upfront fees so that's where they differ....

In my opinion tho.... they're pretty much all the same..
Between Citibank and Discover... It was a $900 difference at the very end which is pennies considering the 10 year repayment time.... so i wouldnt stress too much about who you lend from...

side note: I was on hold on the phone with Citibank for half an hour and disconnected twice... Got thru to discover within a min..... dunno if that matters hahah.. but customer service matters to me.. heck im gonna have to deal with them for years so i might as well take that into consideration too.. :)

the process: The discover site has a simple application that took 5 minutes to finish... you get a master promissary note that is emailed to the school.. school certifies it.. discover sends school the money.. you'll see it in your oasis... you're done.... if you dont see it.. you have to go to "settlement" during orientation.. meaning talk to the financial aid people and they just check on it..

hope this helps some of u!

I am so confused. The FAO told us that we will receive the package, but I am still waiting for it! Can you tell me what's the process to get loans briefly? Thank you.

I am so confused. The FAO told us that we will receive the package, but I am still waiting for it! Can you tell me what's the process to get loans briefly? Thank you.

I'm not sure they're done with coming up with everyone's numbers. What I see on my oasis at least isnt complete. There's just stafford subsidized and stafford unsubsidized.. but there's other funds that come into play for example the health professional student loan that usc gives out and funds themselves that they offer to certain students.. which also requires filling out/signing a master promissory note.

I have to admit I'm not the best person to talk to about the loans process. Even though I'm a fourth year, I've never actually had to take out loans until now cuz I worked 30-40 hours a week while in pharmacy school. I think I might be the most non-traditional student here..

Even though I'm a fourth year, I've never actually had to take out loans until now cuz I worked 30-40 hours a week while in pharmacy school. I think I might be the most non-traditional student here..

that is insane. why don't we all do that? um, and where did you find time to get involved with all those organizations etc. that USC is all about?

that is insane. why don't we all do that? um, and where did you find time to get involved with all those organizations etc. that USC is all about?

You'd be surprised how much time you have in a day. Classes only take 4 hours of your day. Even with a full 8 hours of sleep... that leaves you with a whole 12 hours... So of course you'd have time to get involved and work and come home to study even! :D

You'd find that sometimes it's unnecessary to even go to class because you can teach yourself way better than the professors can.... sad but true... :p

Hi everyone,

I heard different things about the financial aid package. I think the letter with our financial aid eligibility is basically the only thing we will get from the office (I am probably wrong because as I type this, I am waiting for the mail to arrive). I called the financial aid office and they told me that students who qualify should download and print the "2008-2009 USC School of Pharmacy Federal Stafford Loan Request Form" and other forms. Then fill it out and either mail or fax it to the office. After few days of submission, you can fill out the promissory notes via internet or mail. I think the lender will give you more information once usc processes the request form. As for the Pharmacy Health Profession Student Loan, you don't need to fill out any request forms but go to the ECSI website (?) to sign the promissory note (according to an email sent recently, you can do this after August 1st).

I hope this helps. :)

Btw, you need to pick a lender. This information is contained in the request form.

Classes only take 4 hours of your day.

4 hours a day may be true on certain days but not during your 1st year clerkship period, IV rotation, elective days and certainly not during your 3rd year (9:00 a.m. to 3-4 p.m). You are required to take 18+ units per semester so you will be spending some time in school, some days more than others.

I also worked a lot during my 2nd and 3rd year. In retrospective, it was not worth it. The money was good but it is only 1/4 the pharmacist rate. The experience was good but pharmacy is not difficult and it is something you can learn by working full time during the summer.

Enjoy your time in pharmacy school. Meet new people and explore your options. Remember, you have the rest of your life to work so take your time.