USC Class of 2012: Trojan Family Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just able to commit changes and register for classes...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you all able to register for the classes?? Whenever I click "commit changes" it won't let me register and it says i need "departamental authorization"??

Does anyone know of any roommate searches or housing forums for USC? I've tried craigslist (scary!!), seen some tidbits on facebook, and browsed the SDN classifieds, but nothing seems to be terribly active at the moment so I feel like I'm missing something. I'm an out of stater so it's a bit daunting. Anyone need a roommate?

Were you all able to register for the classes?? Whenever I click "commit changes" it won't let me register and it says i need "departamental authorization"??

I was actually able to register for classes as well, if you followed the Web Registration instructions and still can't enroll, you might want to call them...

I got off the waitlist at UOP and will probably go there over USC because of convenience issues (unless there are bad things about UOP that someone can tell me) :D

no not bad things, but maybe things you would be missing out if you go there instead..

http://www.drugsengine.com/?action=content&id=4858&cat=3&subcat=12

One of the things i dont like about UOP is their pre-pharm program.

"USC’s acceptance rate for PharmD program applicants is about 1 out of 10. Nearly all already have a bachelor of science degree – in stark contrast with what goes on around the country. At some schools, for example, students with little or no science background can enter the pharmacy program as juniors and graduate in six years.

“I notice a huge difference between those students and USC students,” says Burckart, an expert on drugs used in organ transplantation. Besides the solid science background, there’s two years added maturity, greater professionalism, clearer career goals and a lower drop-out rate. “It’s much easier for USC graduates to step into a professional setting,” he says.

You apparently require clearance to register. Have you completed all your prereqs.

"USC's acceptance rate for PharmD program applicants is about 1 out of 10. Nearly all already have a bachelor of science degree – in stark contrast with what goes on around the country. At some schools, for example, students with little or no science background can enter the pharmacy program as juniors and graduate in six years.

"I notice a huge difference between those students and USC students," says Burckart, an expert on drugs used in organ transplantation. Besides the solid science background, there's two years added maturity, greater professionalism, clearer career goals and a lower drop-out rate. "It's much easier for USC graduates to step into a professional setting," he says.

Hell yeah :) but it's a dead link you posted...

www.uschsc.com/forum

Does anyone know of any roommate searches or housing forums for USC? I've tried craigslist (scary!!), seen some tidbits on facebook, and browsed the SDN classifieds, but nothing seems to be terribly active at the moment so I feel like I'm missing something. I'm an out of stater so it's a bit daunting. Anyone need a roommate?

no not bad things, but maybe things you would be missing out if you go there instead..

http://www.drugsengine.com/?action=content&id=4858&cat=3&subcat=12

One of the things i dont like about UOP is their pre-pharm program.

"USC’s acceptance rate for PharmD program applicants is about 1 out of 10. Nearly all already have a bachelor of science degree – in stark contrast with what goes on around the country. At some schools, for example, students with little or no science background can enter the pharmacy program as juniors and graduate in six years.

“I notice a huge difference between those students and USC students,” says Burckart, an expert on drugs used in organ transplantation. Besides the solid science background, there’s two years added maturity, greater professionalism, clearer career goals and a lower drop-out rate. “It’s much easier for USC graduates to step into a professional setting,” he says.

It's true. I don't like the pre-pharm program at UOP either. During the interview program, I didn't feel a sense of professionalism from the school. It was probably the fact that many of the people interviewing and giving tours were pre-pharm and didn't, as you say, have the same level of maturity and experience as the "transfers". At USC, it was completely different. I enjoyed the whole interview process there.

It's difficult to make this decision, as it has mostly to do with location and convenience, but at the same time, I know USC would be a great school :D

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I was able to pay $150 for the titer (MMR, hep b, varicella), physical exam, and tb test. I paid additional $30 for dt booster shot.

If you guys are interested, call them and make appointments (I recommend appointments in the morning so you won't have to wait).

Women's Wellness Health Center
280 S. Atlantic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90022
323-264-7241

Besides being cheap, they are very friendly and helpful.

Lastly, although this clinic is called "Women's..." men can also go there. I asked in case any guys would want to take advantage of this. :D

Do you know how much the lab work (to get titer results for the immunizations) alone cost? and how does this place work - is it a free clinic?

My insurance won't pay for the lab tests and the medical center I go to wants to charge me $500+ to get that stuff done!! :eek:

You apparently require clearance to register. Have you completed all your prereqs.

It's all good now :thumbup: I emailed them and they gave me the clearance to register

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I did that in one day EXCEPT the TB test b/c this test must be done 2 months or less from the day we start school. So I need to go back to the clinic in July. If you talk to them they will know what you are saying because I already explained to them about this for USC students.

You don't need to bring your tax return or SS card. :) Just take the two forms (the physical exam, titer form) that USC sent out, along with any form of ID. I gave them my previous school ID because I told them that we didn't get our USC ID yet.

With the tetanus shot, the price is $180 ($150 for the titers, physical exam, and TB test; $30 for tetanus shot). Along with the school requirement, this package includes urine and other blood test. I thought this was a great opportunity to see if I had diabetes, etc.

I hope this clarified the previous post.

Hi PaperDome, how long did you have to wait to get your lab reports of MMR, varicella, and hepB in that clinic? Also, isn't it required that our personal physicians fill out these forms? Sorry for asking dumb questions :D Cuz I'm planning to go there to get the stuff done since I live nearby...

Unfortunately, the financial aid department at USC SOP is probably the worse. They never seem to have their act together. Every year there are a bunch of students confused about the whole process. They could have solved it by making a video explaining everything and posting it on the web. Don't bother complaining to Jim. That has been done.

Do you know how much the lab work (to get titer results for the immunizations) alone cost? and how does this place work - is it a free clinic?

My insurance won't pay for the lab tests and the medical center I go to wants to charge me $500+ to get that stuff done!! :eek:

I don't know how much the lab work alone cost. I'm sure it's going to be much less than $150 since it is a free clinic. For more information, please call the office. I know for sure that this place is much cheaper than the other places I called and visited.

Hi PaperDome, how long did you have to wait to get your lab reports of MMR, varicella, and hepB in that clinic? Also, isn't it required that our personal physicians fill out these forms? Sorry for asking dumb questions :D Cuz I'm planning to go there to get the stuff done since I live nearby...

I didn't get my lab results yet but the office told me that it will take about 1 week, sometimes less. I think personal physicians, nurses, or physician's assistants can fill out the forms. I don't have the forms with me (I told the clinic to hold onto it until I get my TB test done) but I'm sure it's okay to go to the clinic. Afterall, not everyone has a personal physician. Btw, I don't think your questions are dumb. I'm sure other people are getting useful information just by reading these posts.
I already told the office that some of the pharmacy students will be visiting the office soon. :oops:

I didn't get my lab results yet but the office told me that it will take about 1 week, sometimes less. I think personal physicians, nurses, or physician's assistants can fill out the forms. I don't have the forms with me (I told the clinic to hold onto it until I get my TB test done) but I'm sure it's okay to go to the clinic. Afterall, not everyone has a personal physician. Btw, I don't think your questions are dumb. I'm sure other people are getting useful information just by reading these posts.
I already told the office that some of the pharmacy students will be visiting the office soon. :oops:

Haha, yeah, I called them and the lady sounded like she knew about us pharmacy students :D She was really nice, too.

For anyone out there just looking to get titers done, I called around and the cheapest I found is at the USC Student health center on HSC. You just have to go into the student health center and tell them you're an incoming pharm student and they'll refer you to some other building (next door??) for the actual lab work. Total for all 5 titers comes to $97.30. I was going to ask some other questions too (anyone know if they do chest xrays>?) but phone got disconnected and it's really hard to get someone from the student health center on the phone (usually goes direct to answering service :thumbdown:).

Haha, yeah, I called them and the lady sounded like she knew about us pharmacy students :D She was really nice, too.

For anyone out there just looking to get titers done, I called around and the cheapest I found is at the USC Student health center on HSC. You just have to go into the student health center and tell them you're an incoming pharm student and they'll refer you to some other building (next door??) for the actual lab work. Total for all 5 titers comes to $97.30. I was going to ask some other questions too (anyone know if they do chest xrays>?) but phone got disconnected and it's really hard to get someone from the student health center on the phone (usually goes direct to answering service :thumbdown:).

yeah i actually went to the women's wellness clinic today and talked to the lady too, she was all smiling when she asked how i knew that place to get my physical exam done, i think by now they understand clearly what usc pharm students want.
i tried calling USC health administration multiple times to get some questions answered and they totally never picked up their phone...arggghh:mad:

My understanding from our student health forms was that we only need a chest x-ray if we show positive on the TB skin test.

Can anyone else back me up on this, or am I mistaken?

Do you know if they also provide the body check? I don't think USC health center provide such service. Let me know if I am wrong.

My understanding from our student health forms was that we only need a chest x-ray if we show positive on the TB skin test.

Can anyone else back me up on this, or am I mistaken?

Yes. We don't need the X ray unless the TB test is positive.

Hi, Waitlisters!

Do you think we will get anymore letters from USC regarding our positions on the wait list?

I am in a dilemma now. I am not sure whether I should start my next round of application or keep my hopes high for USC.... :confused::confused:

Hi, Waitlisters!

Do you think we will get anymore letters from USC regarding our positions on the wait list?

I am in a dilemma now. I am not sure whether I should start my next round of application or keep my hopes high for USC.... :confused::confused:

Hey here is my advice to anyone waiting... go ahead and start and finish your application process for the next year... the key is to apply early. If you get pulled this year even better, if not, at least you'll be way more prepared for the next year. THE KEY IS TO APPLY EARLY!

good luck!

Hey here is my advice to anyone waiting... go ahead and start and finish your application process for the next year... the key is to apply early. If you get pulled this year even better, if not, at least you'll be way more prepared for the next year. THE KEY IS TO APPLY EARLY!

good luck!

Thanks for your advice. I have been so lazy and not motivated to start the next round of application. I guess, I should start tomorrow. Otherwise, I will be in big troubles. Thanks again...

By the way, were you a re-applicant for the past application cycle? especially to USC?

also, usc will no longer be sending out any correspondence to people on the wait list unless of course they are pulling you. you can however call the admissions office to ask about your position.

I would say get everything ready and do everything you can that you don't have to pay for. If you haven't been pulled by mid-August just submit everything at once. August is still considered early given that deadlines don't hit for another 2 1/2 months later anyway. That way you've got plenty of time to get everything ready, plenty of time to revise, but you haven't wasted any money on application fees, transcripts, or supplemental applications.

I would say get everything ready and do everything you can that you don't have to pay for. If you haven't been pulled by mid-August just submit everything at once. August is still considered early given that deadlines don't hit for another 2 1/2 months later anyway. That way you've got plenty of time to get everything ready, plenty of time to revise, but you haven't wasted any money on application fees, transcripts, or supplemental applications.

Thank you for your advice, Farmercyst.

Thanks for your advice. I have been so lazy and not motivated to start the next round of application. I guess, I should start tomorrow. Otherwise, I will be in big troubles. Thanks again...

By the way, were you a re-applicant for the past application cycle? especially to USC?

No I wasn't a re-applicant... but I know that USC gets about 200ish re-apps a year.

Anyone got off the waitlist?? Anyone, please....

I talked to USC people a few days ago, and they said that the waitlist has not moved at all! They expect a few people to withdrawal from USC in July and August, but I have a feeling it won't be too many people.

I am withdrawing soon. Some lucky person will get in!

I talked to USC people a few days ago, and they said that the waitlist has not moved at all! They expect a few people to withdrawal from USC in July and August, but I have a feeling it won't be too many people.

Thanks for telling us the news, although it's not what I want to hear.. :oops:

Kind of off topic but..I"ve been looking for deals on workout gyms and came across a costco deal for 24HR Fitness. $300 for 2 years. Does anyone know if USC has a good gym that is convenient for pharmacy students to use, and is it included in tuition.

Kind of off topic but..I"ve been looking for deals on workout gyms and came across a costco deal for 24HR Fitness. $300 for 2 years. Does anyone know if USC has a good gym that is convenient for pharmacy students to use, and is it included in tuition.

There's a workout room on the health sciences campus and we have access to the main campus gym. If you're going to bother driving to get to 24hr, you might as well save the $300 and drive to USC instead

There's a workout room on the health sciences campus and we have access to the main campus gym. If you're going to bother driving to get to 24hr, you might as well save the $300 and drive to USC instead

Thanks for the info. Is anyone here going to the welcome reception tomorrow? I didn't rsvp...

Hey,

I know this subject has probably been beaten to death, but I want to know if there is any feeling what I"m feeling and/or in the same boat. I used this website to calculate loan payments.

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/scripts/loanpayments.cgi

And with 200K loan, 100Kish starting salary, it is very burdensome. I don't think that even takes into account the compounding factor for the first 3 years. I guess its my fault, I should have done my own research before applying, but during application time it was all about getting accepted 1st and foremost and some people I know/ read on these forums, told me not to worry about the loans.

As much as I'd like to be a pharmacist, a 50K job (if i'm lucky) with my BS (bull**** bio sci) degree, seems to be much more lucrative and less stressful. I guess I'm in a bind, my parents expect me to follow through, dont really understand the financial part of it, think higher education is always better no matter what the costs.

Is ANYONE feeling like this?

Hey,

As much as I'd like to be a pharmacist, a 50K job (if i'm lucky) with my BS (bull**** bio sci) degree, seems to be much more lucrative and less stressful. I guess I'm in a bind, my parents expect me to follow through, dont really understand the financial part of it, think higher education is always better no matter what the costs.

Is ANYONE feeling like this?

Slightly off topic of USC, but just warning you that good luck finding a 50k job with a BS in Biology! My starting salary 4 yrs ago with BS in biochem was 27k for academic research and now I make just a bit more than that working in the biotech industry. Maybe those 50k jobs exists, but as you mentioned in your post, if you're lucky.

If the cost of USC is freaking you out, how about looking into a cheaper school? There are a lot of private schools with more affordable tuition and state schools are always cheaper. I'm sure you've thought about this. I figured I'd be paying about $1000/month in interest alone when I graduate from USC. I'll admit it that I'm freaked out and am getting cold feet, too. But I don't plan on living in CA when I graduate so hopefully I'll be able to whittle those loans down by living in a location with an affordable standard a living (I bet property in Iowa is cheap right now). That's what's keeping me going right now. And all of the cheesy stuff of dreaming of a future in a good profession doing something I want/like to do. (Splitting cells in the lab all day gets a bit old and that's what I'd be doing for the rest of my life if not for pharmacy!) Good luck and we'll all be broke for the next 4 years together!

PharmDeez... the loans have been haunting me too. Everyone keeps saying to not worry and that you'll make bank once you're done, but I don't think they realize the scope of the situation.

Tuition is about 40K this year and USC's estimated cost of attendance is 61K.
Let's say you live frugally for the next 4 years and only take out 50K/year. That's still 200K when you're done. Here's what the loan repayment will look like (for 15 years):

Loan Balance: $200,000.00
Loan Interest Rate: 6.80%
Loan Fees: 0.00%
Loan Term: 15 years
Monthly Loan Payment: $1,775.37
Number of Payments: 180
Cumulative Payments: $319,565.92
Total Interest Paid: $119,565.92

For 10 years:
Loan Term: 10 years
Monthly Loan Payment: $2,301.61
Number of Payments: 120
Cumulative Payments: $276,192.62
Total Interest Paid: $76,192.62

You can do a 20-25 year repayment plan to reduce monthly costs, but I certainly don't want to
be 55 and still making payments, AND pay tons more in interest.

It looks like I'll have to sell my soul to Walgreen/CVS/Longs when I'm done with school. :scared:

Last edited:
Awesome post I need to make that a screensaver while going to school so I can stay focused.
PharmDeez... the loans have been haunting me too. Everyone keeps saying to not worry and that you'll make bank once you're done, but I don't think they realize the scope of the situation.

Let's say you live frugally for the next 4 years and only take out 50K/year. That's still 200K when you're done. Here's what the loan repayment will look like (for 15 years):

For 10 years:

You can do a 20-25 year repayment plan to reduce monthly costs, but I certainly don't want to

It looks like I'll have to sell my soul to Walgreen/CVS/Longs when I'm done with school. :scared:

For 10 years:

Definitely look into the incentives given that reduce the interest rate for on-time payments, direct deposit, etc. Some banks will reduce the rate by more than 1% based on such conditions. I hear the incentives vary from year to year. I haven't seen this years offers yet.

Even though you are paying $2000 a month in loans, you are still netting about $4000-5000 a month from your salary.

Hey Guys. I just wanted to let you know that I received an acceptance letter after being on the waitlist for awhile. I was ranked 22.

I'm reapplying for 2009, anyone know when the TIER 1 deadline is? (where they get the first set of applications for review for interviews)

Hey Guys. I just wanted to let you know that I received an acceptance letter after being on the waitlist for awhile. I was ranked 22.

Thanks for posting that...so I guess around 108 people are still on the waitlist.

Thanks for posting that...so I guess around 108 people are still on the waitlist.

Well I was #20 and I haven't got in yet.. so no real way to tell. It's dynamic and the numbers change every time someone sends in a new transcript.

Just some general questions for current students,

For the USC pharmacy externships (in year I), how many hours/per week to complete? Is it a good/bad idea to complete the externship at the assigned site and intern at another pharmacy at the same time?? How do pharm students make this work while studying at school??

:confused::scared::confused: