This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knhart

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, this is for everyone that applied to USC for the Fall of 2017. I'm not sure when we will start hearing back from them (or if any of y'all have), but I just wanted to get an idea!

Here are my stats:
GPA (cumulative): 3.86
GPA (pre-req): 4.0
Last 60: 4.0
Science: 4.0

GRE: 149V, 157Q, 4.5AW

Hours: 24 inpatient geriatrics, 29 outpatient neuro, 20 inpatient pediatrics, 150 outpatient pediatrics, 52 outpatient ortho. Total: 275

ED: volunteered for 8 weeks over the summer as a student PT in Cambodia; internship in exercise science research in australia, started the pre-pt club at my university, student ambassador, and sorority social chair.

I applied to: NYU (interviewed), UNC (interview 1/21), Duke, TSU, Belmont (wait-listed), UTSW (interview 1/9), TWU (accepted), USC, Cal State Long Beach, Emory, and Chapman.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Isn't USC's minimum considered GRE score 150 for verbal and quantitative? Did you contact USC about this?

Hey,

Isn't USC's minimum considered GRE score 150 for verbal and quantitative? Did you contact USC about this?
They require 150 in each or a overall score of at least 300.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Applied and still waiting on admissions. Anybody have any idea when we can expect the first wave of acceptances?

I was also accepted end of November but I will be declining my offer! I wasn't an ED applicant but I sent in my application towards the end of August.

I was also accepted end of November but I will be declining my offer! I wasn't an ED applicant but I sent in my application towards the end of August.

I see. Was the notification through email?

I was accepted 2 weeks ago thru email too. But I already made the deposit for Chapman. USC is a little far and expensive for me...
Anybody heard back from CSU Long Beach?

I was accepted 2 weeks ago thru email too. But I already made the deposit for Chapman. USC is a little far and expensive for me...
Anybody heard back from CSU Long Beach?

Just heard back from CSULB right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, best of luck! I've been waitlisted for CSULB, second year in a row now.

Good luck! I honestly haven't finalized my decisions in my head. Out of Chapman, CSULB, and USC (haven't heard back yet), I can't decide which one to go to. Each program has its pros and cons for me.... Arg I'm having a hard time determining which school to choose.

Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but lets talk facts. Tuition alone is 63k a year here for the first 2 years and 38k the third year. This doesn't even include mandatory student health insurance or the ipad and laptop they make you buy!! http://pt.usc.edu/Education/Programs/PhysicalTherapy/DPT/Cost/ . Thats 164k on tuition alone. Living in southern cali for 3 years will easily raise that figure to 250k for all expenses total for 3 years. Lets say you get out and start making the average 85k a year. After taxes that's about 65k a year you are making. Let's be generous and say you save 30k a year to pay off loans and use the rest for living. (Which is being VERY generous btw) it will take you 8.3 years just to pay off your loans. Oh and that is WITHOUT interest! So everyone wanting to go here either has very rich parents, or don't care to come out even for the next decade?? This is financial suicide. Not sure why anyone would even consider USC

Reactions: 1 users
Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but lets talk facts. Tuition alone is 63k a year here for the first 2 years and 38k the third year. This doesn't even include mandatory student health insurance or the ipad and laptop they make you buy!! http://pt.usc.edu/Education/Programs/PhysicalTherapy/DPT/Cost/ . Thats 164k on tuition alone. Living in southern cali for 3 years will easily raise that figure to 250k for all expenses total for 3 years. Lets say you get out and start making the average 85k a year. After taxes that's about 65k a year you are making. Let's be generous and say you save 30k a year to pay off loans and use the rest for living. (Which is being VERY generous btw) it will take you 8.3 years just to pay off your loans. Oh and that is WITHOUT interest! So everyone wanting to go here either has very rich parents, or don't care to come out even for the next decade?? This is financial suicide. Not sure why anyone would even consider USC

They have scholarship... depending on your background, you may qualify. If I got in USC, I'm pretty sure I would quality...

Look into that if you came from a underserved community maybe

My cousin went to USC.... definitely doesn't have rich parents.... made a few trips out of state for a few vacations..... And according to him, is happy with where he is now in life. He's neither "rich" nor "financially suicidal". I'm not sure life is so cut and dry as you seem to make it. If you want to go to USC, graduate with those loans, have a huge house in Orange County, with 2 kids and a few huskies, there may be a need for some financial advising. But everyone's in different situations and circumstances. There are many loan repayment options, loan forgiveness programs, and many many MANY other LIFE choices that need to be made before you can judge someones future. So its hard to judge whether or not someone will be successful in life based on their decision to attend a certain school.

My cousin went to USC.... definitely doesn't have rich parents.... made a few trips out of state for a few vacations..... And according to him, is happy with where he is now in life. He's neither "rich" nor "financially suicidal". I'm not sure life is so cut and dry as you seem to make it. If you want to go to USC, graduate with those loans, have a huge house in Orange County, with 2 kids and a few huskies, there may be a need for some financial advising. But everyone's in different situations and circumstances. There are many loan repayment options, loan forgiveness programs, and many many MANY other LIFE choices that need to be made before you can judge someones future. So its hard to judge whether or not someone will be successful in life based on their decision to attend a certain school.
Ask him them how many years it took to repay their debt. You clearly missed my point. I'm saying if you have multiple options, go to an in state school and pay 1/5th the tuition that USC charges. Just because you will have a job, you can't blindly take out over 200k in loans for a career that doesn't nearly pay as much as an MD. You can't take out MD level loans making DPT salary. My best advice to you is to go on a spreadsheet, get a loan rate, map it out and see for yourself how much you will have to pay and for how long. You sound like you are blindly ignoring facts and jumping into a school for its big name. Every single DPT I have ever talked to has old me that school name does not matter, so why take out 250k when you can take out 70k for a cheaper option? As far as those scholarships, i'd be willing to bet you they will barely put a dent in their tuition.

Ask him them how many years it took to repay their debt. You clearly missed my point. I'm saying if you have multiple options, go to an in state school and pay 1/5th the tuition that USC charges. Just because you will have a job, you can't blindly take out over 200k in loans for a career that doesn't nearly pay as much as an MD. You can't take out MD level loans making DPT salary. My best advice to you is to go on a spreadsheet, get a loan rate, map it out and see for yourself how much you will have to pay and for how long. You sound like you are blindly ignoring facts and jumping into a school for its big name. Every single DPT I have ever talked to has old me that school name does not matter, so why take out 250k when you can take out 70k for a cheaper option? As far as those scholarships, i'd be willing to bet you they will barely put a dent in their tuition.

Then I would like to respectfully ask what you would do if USC is one of your few options? I could care less about name. I even applied to schools that were in the process of becoming accredited. I'm sure USC knows their tuition is way up there. And I'm sure, like you and I, most people are attracted to the cheap in-state schools. It's difficult to even get an interview to those schools without getting through that first GPA weed-out. Since GPA plays a big part in terms of separating applicants, what advice would you give people that have under a 3.5? Don't apply to USC? Wait another few years to increase your GPA a few tenths of a points?

Then I would like to respectfully ask what you would do if USC is one of your few options? I could care less about name. I even applied to schools that were in the process of becoming accredited. I'm sure USC knows their tuition is way up there. And I'm sure, like you and I, most people are attracted to the cheap in-state schools. It's difficult to even get an interview to those schools without getting through that first GPA weed-out. Since GPA plays a big part in terms of separating applicants, what advice would you give people that have under a 3.5? Don't apply to USC? Wait another few years to increase your GPA a few tenths of a points?
Your argument would make sense, but according to their website a recommended gre score is 312... most in state schools average around 300, so USC is not only more expensive, but also more competitive. The chances of someone only having USC as an option are slim to none. But if it is your only option, then I say go for it, as schools are getting more competitive year after year. An alternative would be to retake classes, find a school like Marshall University that recalculates gpa based on highest grade if taken twice.

Hi,

I was wondering how many acceptances have been sent out for USC. Are there many applicants still waiting like me?

Just curious, what are your stats?
Overall GPA: 3.4
PTCAS: 3.0
GRE: 5.0 AW, 154 Math, 153 Verbal
Hours: 4o inpatient, 100 wellness facility, ~2,000 outpatient PT aide
Letters of rec: 2 kines professors, director of my outpatient clinic, and MD from medical mission
ExtraCurrics: college of science ambassador, special olympics, surf camp for kids with disabilities, volunteer in Asia on a medical mission

My numbers are really low but I think that everything else in my application pulled through! I've applied to 16 schools, heard back from 12 of them, and USC was one of my only 3 acceptances at this point. I guess I'm part of the few applicants who ended up having USC as one of their only options, like what @tpath said up there haha.

Hi,

I was wondering how many acceptances have been sent out for USC. Are there many applicants still waiting like me?

I'm still waiting. I thought their email said they would reach a decision for non ED apps by April or May

I'm still waiting. I thought their email said they would reach a decision for non ED apps by April or May

I emailed and asked, and they said we can expect to hear back Jan., Feb., and March. Hope we hear back soon!

Hi,

I'm wondering the same. In all honestly I feel like my stats are above average but I still haven't heard back yet. Got my eyes on other programs for now...

I'm still waiting too!!! Hopefully it's sooner than later

Is there anyone who has heard back from USC recently?

Anyone know when they are sending out their second round of acceptances? I emailed Virginia last week but she never replied.

Anyone know when they are sending out their second round of acceptances? I emailed Virginia last week but she never replied.

I'm wondering the same thing :( from old threads I've read it seems like they're acceptances are pretty scattered out

Has anyone received a rejection from USC yet?

There should be two more rounds of acceptances, at least.

Anyone who's gotten into USC with similar stats? I know my PGPA is on the low side but I'm trying to keep hope :(

Undergrad GPA: 3.52
Cumulative GPA: 3.45
pre req GPA: 3.05-3.12 (depending on the school)
GRE: 150V 153Q 4.5 AW
Observation Hours: 400+ in multiple settings (outpatient orthopedics, outpatient pediatrics, inpatient hospital, inpatient nursing home)

On a side note, I'm thinking USC likes its own kind so that if you have LORs written by past USC grads or experiences with facilities associated with USC, then it gets weighed heavily on their decision. In my case, I don't have anything like that so I think my app may be neglected a bit more.

Has anyone received a rejection from USC yet?

I'm not sure that they send out rejections. Past threads on the topic seem to indicate that you can be left waiting for a long time before you realize you've been rejected.

I'm not sure that they send out rejections. Past threads on the topic seem to indicate that you can be left waiting for a long time before you realize you've been rejected.

I hope that's not the case :( I just want to know already haha

I applied the last day last cycle, and got rejected the first week of March

I applied the last day last cycle, and got rejected the first week of March

Shoot I submitted USC pretty late.. November 15th :( I hope that doesn't kill my chances. For the people have already been admitted did you guys apply really early on?

I submitted mid August and haven't received a decision from USC...just so ya know! Not sure how they do it.

Shoot I submitted USC pretty late.. November 15th :( I hope that doesn't kill my chances. For the people have already been admitted did you guys apply really early on?

I applied last year, submit my app in October and got a rejection email on Feb 26. This cycle I submit my app in August and haven't heard anything back yet

I applied last year, submit my app in October and got a rejection email on Feb 26. This cycle I submit my app in August and haven't heard anything back yet

Ah I guess they do send rejection emails. If we don't hear back, just probably means you're in line to be contacted once they get a better handle on how many seats are left. Good luck.

May I ask what your stats were last cycle?