USC interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkim83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi. i have my USC interview on 1/21 and i am really nervous since itz my first interview. can anybody please give me some tips on how to do well on the interviews? and also those of you who had USC interviews already, can you please share your interview experience? thanx...

Members don't see this ad.

practice, practice, and practice. check out knock em' dead at your local library. it will go a long way in helping you prepare.

know how to answer these well, they are usually asked.

1. Why you want to go into pharmacy
2. What area(s) of pharmacy you interested in at this moment

Members don't see this ad :)
jkim83 said:
hi. i have my USC interview on 1/21 and i am really nervous since itz my first interview. can anybody please give me some tips on how to do well on the interviews? and also those of you who had USC interviews already, can you please share your interview experience? thanx...

hey jkim83...when did you get your interview letter? =) i'm still waiting on mine =(..... GOOD LUCK! hmm, in my school, there's a pre-health professions office that give us real good mock interviews (they even video tape us) and then give us feedback...u might want to try yoru career center or something. =)

ilostmyspacebar said:
hey jkim83...when did you get your interview letter? =) i'm still waiting on mine =(..... GOOD LUCK! hmm, in my school, there's a pre-health professions office that give us real good mock interviews (they even video tape us) and then give us feedback...u might want to try yoru career center or something. =)

thanx. i got my letter on 12/19... hope you get yours soon too. well, good luck to you too. =)

Arrive early. It gives you a chance to talk to the other applicants and 1st year pharm students. I was about an hour early for my interview and I got to meet some really friendly USC students. I also recognized a bunch of people of whom I met at the October UOP interview session. All the friendly/familiar faces really helped me relax.

Good luck to all in the upcoming IV session. :luck:

ICA said:
Arrive early. It gives you a chance to talk to the other applicants and 1st year pharm students. I was about an hour early for my interview and I got to meet some really friendly USC students. I also recognized a bunch of people of whom I met at the October UOP interview session. All the friendly/familiar faces really helped me relax.

Good luck to all in the upcoming IV session. :luck:

I agree...arrive early, so that you can talk to the 1st year students. They do a really good job to calm you down and answer any questions you may have. Plus the 1st year student I talked to was really hot!! haha

jkim83 said:
thanx. i got my letter on 12/19... hope you get yours soon too. well, good luck to you too. =)

hey jkim83, what is your file # at USC?

Baxter81 said:
Plus the 1st year student I talked to was really hot!! haha

tsk tsk tsk.. talking about us 1st years like that. how do you know he/she wouldn't be on this forum? :laugh:

ilovepharmacy said:
tsk tsk tsk.. talking about us 1st years like that. how do you know he/she wouldn't be on this forum? :laugh:

That would be great if she was on this forum, then I can kinda break the ice by sending her a few messages before I ask her out. Well..I guess Ill just stalk her when school starts..hahahaha JK!!!! NO really I'm kidding...Seriously!! :cool:

Does anyone have any last minute tips to do well in the USC interview? I've checked out interview forum and I'm practicing. What else?

Members don't see this ad :)
BLUELILY5 said:
Does anyone have any last minute tips to do well in the USC interview? I've checked out interview forum and I'm practicing. What else?

Really know how you will respond to "Tell me about yourself." If you have a good response to this it will show confidence and help get you off to a good start.

Have a couple good questions to ask about the school. Ask something that will show them you are very interested in becoming a part of USC.

Sorry to be asking this stupid question but do you need to bring anything other than a picture ID with you to the interview?

Thanks

Good luck to everyone this Saturday, hopefully I'll meet some of you SDNers!

Shinoball said:
Sorry to be asking this stupid question but do you need to bring anything other than a picture ID with you to the interview?

Thanks
I decided to bring a leather portfolio with copies of my app, resume, supplemental interview essay, and pen... and I found no need for them at all. (USC supplied pencils for the written essay portion of the interview.)

Good luck to you guys tomorrow!

If you have any more Q's about the interview, feel free to ask.

ICA said:
I decided to bring a leather portfolio with copies of my app, resume, supplemental interview essay, and pen... and I found no need for them at all. (USC supplied pencils for the written essay portion of the interview.)

Good luck to you guys tomorrow!

If you have any more Q's about the interview, feel free to ask.

Thanks ICA!

Get the names of your student and faculty interviewers and send them a thank you note afterward.

Just stay relaxed everyone, and get a good nights rest. I was actually really nervous during the actual interview, and my lip kept twitching during the fiirst question. But after the first minute you get over it, and you get into the flow of things and start answering questions better. I also agree with the post above. Ask the professor for his/her business card. That way you can send a thankyou note. This will make you stand out and the interviewers will remember you better. Good luck!!

Relax - I know you all will do *great* because you were all smart enough to use SDN ;) Get a good night's rest and be ready to talk yourselves up!

Good lucks :luck: and I'll see you bright and early in the morning :)

Oh and make sure you eat a little - we don't want you keeling over because you are too nervous :)

Do they ever ask questions like, "this person has this kind of illness" and "what drug should you use?"

ThaiPharm said:
Do they ever ask questions like, "this person has this kind of illness" and "what drug should you use?"

no

Hey everyone...How did you think the interview went?
It didn't seem too difficult, I didn't even get a chance to
ask questions. I wonder if they really only initially accept
20 out of the 150 people.

Surprisingly, I think my interview went well. I was so nervous at the beginning! Luckily, my interviewers were super nice (especially the pharm student, she was so awesome)! I got the last interview slot and they were running behind, so my interview didn't last that long and was kind of rushed. I guess that is a good thing?

FunnyPHARM said:
Hey everyone...How did you think the interview went?
It didn't seem too difficult, I didn't even get a chance to
ask questions. I wonder if they really only initially accept
20 out of the 150 people.

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. For my friend who got accepted from the first round of interviews this cycle, his acceptance letter said that 60 students were accepted. I think definitely it'll be fewer than 60 this time around since there are four tiers... but 20 seems so few :( . Wouldn't be surprised though.

For those who already had the interview, what kind of questions did they ask you to write during the interview essay portion? thanks

DC1120 said:
For those who already had the interview, what kind of questions did they ask you to write during the interview essay portion? thanks

Hi. It's not really an essay. What they give you is a paragraph. You have five minutes to write notes about it. You have ten lines to write your ten notes on and each note cannot exceed five words. When the five minutes of note-taking is up they take the paragraph away from you. You are then given (I think it was) fifteen minutes to write the main point of the paragraph and to summarize it.

Hi everyone-

I was wondering if it was necessary to send a thank you card for your interviewers?

LittleMissB said:
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing. For my friend who got accepted from the first round of interviews this cycle, his acceptance letter said that 60 students were accepted. I think definitely it'll be fewer than 60 this time around since there are four tiers... but 20 seems so few :( . Wouldn't be surprised though.
++++++++++

my interview went so well. the interviewers were very friendly unlike touro or western. but then again, usc will only accept 20 out of 150, wow,,,that's tough....

TrojanAnteater said:
yes, you should

Hi TrojanAnteater. How does one go about doing so? Should I use the address that I sent my supplementary materials to and then just put "c/o (interviewers' names)"? Thanks in advance :) .

LittleMissB said:
Hi TrojanAnteater. How does one go about doing so? Should I use the address that I sent my supplementary materials to and then just put "c/o (interviewers' names)"? Thanks in advance :) .

Yeah, that sounds good

Did everyone on here who attended the January 21st or even a later USC interview receive the letter about completing the financial aid forms?

LittleMissB said:
Did everyone on here who attended the January 21st or even a later USC interview receive the letter about completing the financial aid forms?

Yep, I recieved one as well.

FunnyPHARM said:
Yep, I recieved one as well.

What financial aide form?? I am still confused on how financial aide works...I need to go to the office and inquire.

LittleMissB said:

I received one too.

I received the financial aid letter as well. But that fafsa deadline bugs me, as I've yet to get my W2 and thus cant even file for tax yet. They could've give people another month for wiggleroom.

Which brings to another question, what would happen if you cant submit fafsa by the deadline? Does that mean you are screwed financially?

eddavatar said:
I received the financial aid letter as well. But that fafsa deadline bugs me, as I've yet to get my W2 and thus cant even file for tax yet. They could've give people another month for wiggleroom.

Which brings to another question, what would happen if you cant submit fafsa by the deadline? Does that mean you are screwed financially?
I haven't gotten my W2 either... I'm wondering if submitting a guesstimate on your 2005 income is better than not submitting the FAFSA by the Feb. 10 deadline. :confused:

ICA said:
I haven't gotten my W2 either... I'm wondering if submitting a guesstimate on your 2005 income is better than not submitting the FAFSA by the Feb. 10 deadline. :confused:
just submit estimates, you will fix your fafsa later. Just as an exaple, my financial aid paperwork for the 2nd year was not prepared by the fin aid office until early August, so you are better off submitting estimates at this point. In either case, as long as you fix everything on fafsa with the actual tax return info by April 15th deadline and turn all the copies to the financial aid office, you'll be fine. Call them if u have a question, Allison and Jessie are very helpful