USC Keck Alternate Waitlist Represent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dago

University of Kentucky
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll bite dago. I got my letter today. :( But hey, the thin envelope made me think it was a rejection, so it was a somewhat pleasant surprise. USC was awesome though. I really hope I get in.

Does your status page state that you are an the alternate list? Because mine doesn't. On another thread you said that they only waitlist about 100 people and take 20-40. Did this info come from the admissions office?
Thanks!

Does USC reject post-interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
phishee would you care to share your interview date?

It was last week (2/6). They are crazy fast! Another reason to be impressed by USC.

Does USC reject post-interview?

The alternate list says that they interview 600 people. I would think that some of those have to be rejections, but I have no clue when these are sent out.

Yeah, I guess I belong here too. Waitlisted on 11/24 for an interview on 11/14. Rumor has it we can't be expecting too much (i.e nearly no) waitlist movement until May. But yeah, hope we can make it off the waitlist, avoid the circular file, and find ourselves a fat envelope.

i hope you guys fare better on the waitlist than i did last year. i didn't even get a final rejection letter.

Thanks etf....I think

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
phishee when did you interview/hear back? i still can't believe it's 3 months at the earliest til we'll hear anything...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
I think they do reject post-interview. I ran into a guy I met at my USC interview at another interview, and he said he had been rejected after being placed on the wait-list. Granted this is hearsay, but he told me straight up that he had been wait-listed and then later rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
phishee when did you interview/hear back? i still can't believe it's 3 months at the earliest til we'll hear anything...

I interviewed 2/6 and heard by mail on 2/15. I'm also pretty bummed about the long wait. But I'm trying to keep my hopes alive.

...now you all are worrying me, i interviewed 1/31 and havent heard anything yet... should i take this as a bad sign?

...now you all are worrying me, i interviewed 1/31 and havent heard anything yet... should i take this as a bad sign?

Actually both my tour guides and my student interviewer said they heard about their acceptances in 4-6 weeks. So I wouldn't worry too much.

just withdrew my acceptance. good luck to all waiting!

just withdrew my acceptance. good luck to all waiting!

I interviewed Jan 17, but have not heard anything yet. Should be any day now I'd think, since they said 4-6 weeks.

I interviewed Jan 17, but have not heard anything yet. Should be any day now I'd think, since they said 4-6 weeks.

best of luck! they took a month and half to get back to me, and 8 weeks to get back to a fellow classmate who interviewed two weeks before me.

I'm interviewing at Keck soon...but am concerned.

does anyone know if there is any feeling at Keck that they're not really on par with some of the other california schools...I mean how many top 30-40 schools aren't even top 3 in their state!!!!(keck is behind stanford, ucsf, ucsd...idk perhaps even the other UC's)

Makes me wonder.

I'm interviewing at Keck soon...but am concerned.

does anyone know if there is any feeling at Keck that they're not really on par with some of the other california schools...I mean how many top 30-40 schools aren't even top 3 in their state!!!!(keck is behind stanford, ucsf, ucsd...idk perhaps even the other UC's)

Makes me wonder.
I wouldnt even bother going. The average debt is 200k compared to 76k for the UC's. Plus the usc facilities are a bit run down.

idk some of the feedback on SDN has said the facilities were great and that County Hospital is being revamped...

Don't listen to him about the facilities being rundown. They aren't at all. I can't believe he said don't bother going!!! What a troll! Forget that guy. USC is great.

Don't listen to him about the facilities being rundown. They aren't at all. I can't believe he said don't bother going!!! What a troll! Forget that guy. USC is great.
Why didnt you dispute the 200k debt............?????????:cool:

For those of you who heard from USC quickly (some one said 8 days!) Where do you live? Also, did anyone call to check their status. I am waiting to hear and like most of us...impatient.

Why didnt you dispute the 200k debt............?????????:cool:

because you're an idiot. you're just comparing the lowest possible debt at a UC with the highest possible at USC. Average debt for USC grads is 120k, yes it is like 70k for UC, but that's average.

for upper middle class white people your debt at a UC will still be over 100k I guarantee it.

For those of you who heard from USC quickly (some one said 8 days!) Where do you live? Also, did anyone call to check their status. I am waiting to hear and like most of us...impatient.

I live in Southern California so maybe that's why it was so fast. But again, the students at USC said 4-6 weeks. So assume that time frame, and if it comes earlier it will be a nice surprise.

I wouldnt even bother going. The average debt is 200k compared to 76k for the UC's. Plus the usc facilities are a bit run down.

Wouldn't even bother going??? Are you crazy? I hope nobody is taking your advice seriously...

on another note...7 weeks and counting. still no response to interview. Grrrrr

It has been 17 weeks since my interview and no response. So it can definitely take awhile. I read on one of these threads that they will be making a bunch of decisions in Mid-March. So maybe next week we will finally get an answer.

it is likely that one of two things happened...

1 - your app is being held up for some reason, ie your interviewer never turned in your report

or

2 - they passed you up already without deciding to accept, but they have some reason to not waitlist/reject you (like maybe you were borderline and they want to review you again with the next batch)

why not call and ask what is up?

I've called a couple times and the tell me 1-2 weeks. I'm guessing that whoever answers the phone just assumes that a decision will be made at the next meeting. So calling hasn't been too helpful. I'm guessing that they are waiting until all (or most) of their interviews have been completed to make a decision.

I wonder if I should bother them with a phone call. I haven't heard anything from them after the secondary.

to all interviewees of USC, did you all receive instructions on how to apply for financial aid? I received it about 2 weeks after I interviewed. I don't want to get my hopes up if this is something that everyone recieves. ok thanks!

hey q...i received a financial aid packet as well yesterday...and I interviewed today..so i dont know what to make of it..

This guy is a troll. Folks that really have the record claimed by this jerk are invariably humble and supportive of other people who are trying to be admitted to med schools like USC. He betrays himself with his own words. I guarantee you that this douche bag is sitting alone with his computer on Friday night, thinking about his fantasy football team next year and his fantasy med school acceptances. Don't feed the troll.

^Sounds like a troll to me.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm on the waitlist currently, and just got some financial aid stuff today too. *sigh* From the looks of it I think they just send it out to everyone who is still in the running (I think it says somewhere that "If you are accepted . . . "). But I could be wrong . . . G'luck all. :luck:

Yep: "If you are admitted and meet the eligibility requirements..."

I just wish they would stop sending these small envelopes. They are giving me panic attacks. :eek:

Yeah seriously, how mean is it to send everyone a "small, thin envelope"? I think they're just messing with us... I interviewed Jan 23rd and still haven't heard anything, so when I saw that my heart sank. Has anyone else waited this long before any news whatsoever?

I hope they use financial aid information to determine admissions! :clap:

edit// j/k usc is the shiznit

fake edit// it's not like it's USC undergrad :ninja:

Hey everyone, just found out I'm on the alternate list. Has anyone received an acceptance from this list yet? My letter said this list is not ranked, so how do they make decisions about who to accept from it? Good luck everyone.

Hey everyone, just found out I'm on the alternate list. Has anyone received an acceptance from this list yet? My letter said this list is not ranked, so how do they make decisions about who to accept from it? Good luck everyone.

there shouldn't be any movement until May 15th, and then almost everyone on the unranked list will get in.

at least that's what the rumor is....

edit// and by "almost everyone" i mean "everyone"

Last year's thread had movement starting on May 15th.

Unranked lists work like the bench in team sports. If you are a backup quarterback, the way you get in the game is if the QB shatters his femur. If you are on USC's waitlist, the way you get in the game is if a person with a similar application withdraws.

Breaking the femurs of accepted medical students will probably not gain you admission to USC. Unfortunately, medical students can still study with broken femurs.

and where exactly is this information coming from? i've heard more like 20-40 out of 100.

yeah there's the unranked "acceptable pool" that makes up part of the waitlist (top ~40ish) that all move VERY quickly after May 15th when USC's early admits release their spots for other schools that don't cost near $300k to attend.

that much I know. any other subtleties regarding which part of the waitlist you or your friends are on is probably up to semantics in the letter you received. I know there's a letter that says "unranked" and one that says "acceptable." Now these may be the same letter, they may be different, I haven't seen any waitlist letters from USC, so all I know for sure is what I said ^up there in the first paragraph.

I could tell you where my info comes from, but there'd be no way of knowing if I'm telling the truth or not. so let's just say Black Jesus whispered it into my ear as I slept.

I've called a couple times and the tell me 1-2 weeks. I'm guessing that whoever answers the phone just assumes that a decision will be made at the next meeting. So calling hasn't been too helpful. I'm guessing that they are waiting until all (or most) of their interviews have been completed to make a decision.

in a couple of days, it will have been 10 weeks since my interview, and still...nothing. The first call at 6 weeks, I was told, 2 more weeks. Should I call again?

in a couple of days, it will have been 10 weeks since my interview, and still...nothing. The first call at 6 weeks, I was told, 2 more weeks. Should I call again?

have they ever asked for your name (and then you hear keyboard* sounds over the phone as they look you up)?

*I mean computer keyboard, not the synth line from Europe's "The Final Countdown"

yo works, when did you interview?

What's up Saramagatic. I interviewed Jan 23rd and a letter was sent to me a few weeks later telling me I was on the alternate list but I never received it. I called a couple days ago and found out I was on the alternate list. I hope all these rumors about this mysterious list are true...