USC Keck Alternate Waitlist Represent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
have they ever asked for your name (and then you hear keyboard* sounds over the phone as they look you up)?

*I mean computer keyboard, not the synth line from Europe's "The Final Countdown"

and they said, you'll be going to the committee today. Odd timing, don't you think. Perhaps my app fell into a crevice on someone's desk, or between someone's cheeks.

Members don't see this ad.

and they said, you'll be going to the committee today. Odd timing, don't you think. Perhaps my app fell into a crevice on someone's desk, or between someone's cheeks.

same for me kind of. My story had a happy ending, I might have to go sit through "300" as a weird 'thank you' to the Trojan overlords.

edit//ps good luck to you, every freshman class needs a good pandabot.

same for me kind of. My story had a happy ending, I might have to go sit through "300" as a weird 'thank you' to the Trojan overlords.

edit//ps good luck to you, every freshman class needs a good pandabot.

or did they eventually just send you something in the mail. I'm not amused by the process so far, but encouraged that you got good news. Congrats...that is, if that is what you meant. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
or did they eventually just send you something in the mail. I'm not amused by the process so far, but encouraged that you got good news. Congrats...that is, if that is what you meant. :rolleyes:

they try to be really REALLY vague over the phone, but after she typed my name in she said "you'll get a letter from us in the next week"

I had already received a financial aid summary from their finaid office at that point lol.

this was last thursday, this morning I got the invite for second look, but my acceptance letter is still floating around a post office somewhere.

they try to be really REALLY vague over the phone, but after she typed my name in she said "you'll get a letter from us in the next week"

I had already received a financial aid summary from their finaid office at that point lol.

this was last thursday, this morning I got the invite for second look, but my acceptance letter is still floating around a post office somewhere.

well, the finaid packet doesn't mean a whole lot usually, but I think the second look invite pretty much means your in. I didnt get that response, but rather the "you'll go to the committee today" version. Seeing as I dont have a finaid pack or 2nd look, Im not as optimistic. Grrrrrrrrrrr.....pandabot happynot.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
anyone send a LOI? i'm working on mine now...

my faculty interviewer told me to write one when I got home from the interview and email it to him and the admissions office. ymmv.

Anyone know what a LOI should consist of? Is there a specific format or anything? Any help would be great.

Last year, I held on to my Keck acceptance until May 1st. Right after I submitted my withdrawal letter, someone else got in. So relax. It's way too early to be getting impatient. People holding multiple acceptances sometimes want to weigh their options. It may take another couple of months.
Good luck - USC is a great school.

I'm interviewing at Keck soon...but am concerned.

does anyone know if there is any feeling at Keck that they're not really on par with some of the other california schools...I mean how many top 30-40 schools aren't even top 3 in their state!!!!(keck is behind stanford, ucsf, ucsd...idk perhaps even the other UC's)

Makes me wonder.
I think the fact that they aren't top 3 within the state is more a reflection of the caliber of Cali schools as a whole rather than USC itself... I mean how many states have as many top 10 or top 20 schools?

Ive now reached 12 weeks and still no decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive now reached 12 weeks and still no decision.

you called them recently? My first letter got lost in the mail and they forgot to send the second. third one was the charm. :thumbup:

cmon pandaman, i'll use my telepathy to curry their flavor...err favor.

you called them recently? My first letter got lost in the mail and they forgot to send the second. third one was the charm. :thumbup:

cmon pandaman, i'll use my telepathy to curry their flavor...err favor.

and they said something to the effect of "we haven't made a decision yet", which of course does not preclude the possibility that they have no idea where my file is.

thanks...and btw, panda(wo)man

there are lots of people on waitlists. don't worry, it's still really really early. and if i get in my top choice school (i'm on a waitlist too =( ) then someone else will have my spot at USC, and i won't hear back from them until may 27, so don't be discouraged, everyone!... or...see you in the fall.

Haha, also in the club. Interviewed 10/23, waitlisted 11/15. My waitlist letter said "list is not ranked."

I'm also in the club now...interviewed 3/20, waitlisted (unranked whatever that means) 3/31....sorry, I don't know about you guys, but usc is my last instate choice....that tuition is just way too high

so can anyone verify that there are two waitlists as previously described?

so can anyone verify that there are two waitlists as previously described?

From what I've gathered whoever said there were multiple waitlists with different priorities was either lying or misinformed. Every person I've heard from is on the "unranked alternate list"

How did you all find out you were on the waitlist? Do they only send snail mail letters or did they email you too? I interviewed 3/21 and haven't heard a peep - I've called repeatedly and each time they say "you'll know in two weeks..." I've heard that some people were called, some people emailed, and some people only received a snail mail letter. This is driving me crazy..

How did you all find out you were on the waitlist? Do they only send snail mail letters or did they email you too? I interviewed 3/21 and haven't heard a peep - I've called repeatedly and each time they say "you'll know in two weeks..." I've heard that some people were called, some people emailed, and some people only received a snail mail letter. This is driving me crazy..

I'm done calling them because I'm probably rapidly approaching "annoying" status, which I hear is worse than "waitlist" status. Anyway, it has been just shy of three months now, despite the 4-6 weeks I was going to hear in. ...

joining the club. snail mail. "unranked alternate."

Has anyone received anything else from 'SC since yesterday?

bump.............just trying to keep the thread up there

i think it's safe to say that this thread can hibernate until mid may

Suddenly for no explicable reason, John Mayer's "Waiting for the World to Change" just popped into my head. Seems rather apropos for this situation.

Is USC still inviting or even still interviewing?

Is USC still inviting or even still interviewing?

They gave out their last invite mid-March and said they would be notifying all applicants by the end of this month...

SDNers,

Does anyone know when movement is expected to begin on this waitlist? Similarly-when decisions on waitlisters are made and when they are notified?

EDIT: it appears at though there is no movement until May15th on another thread. Does this mean decisions are not made until May 15th being as it is unranked?

SDNers,

Does anyone know when movement is expected to begin on this waitlist? Similarly-when decisions on waitlisters are made and when they are notified?

EDIT: it appears at though there is no movement until May15th on another thread. Does this mean decisions are not made until May 15th being as it is unranked?

Believe me,

I wish I knew. I looked at last year's thread also, and it seems that Dr. Quinn begins calling on the 15th. this can go on till august. That is all I know, as I, too, am on the waitlist..........and I am beginning to think that living the life of a hermit is more suited to my tastes.

SDNers,

There is no movement until May 15th. I don't know when or how the decisions are actually made, but I would be pretty confident saying that Dr. Quinn has a whole lot of influence in the decision. Make sure you let her know if Keck's your first choice!

did any of you on the waitlist receive their financial aid package?

Hey just wanted to let you guys know I just withdrew my acceptance at USC...Good luck to those of you on the waitlist!!

bump did any of you on the waitlist receive their financial aid package?

Just thought I'd let you know that another spot has officially opened up. Good luck guys!! :luck:

Has anyone heard anything about USC's waitlist movement?

i am anxiously awaiting any decisions as well! ;)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
So I spoke to Dean Quinn yesterday, and as of 4pm then, the enrollment hadn't dropped below the desired class size so consequently no movement. USC also gives a two week grace period for people they haven't heard from but will in all likelihood won't be coming. Consequently, she said to expect movement in early June. While it's rough to wait that long, it seems that all schools seem to take a very large portion of their students of the waitlist so I think that things will work out for everyone who really wants to go there... and it doesn't hurt that that she's a really nice dean :)

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!11

:confused:

But what about the students that dropped their spots to go to other schools? I know on SDN there are about 4 students who were accepted at 'SC but turned down their positions.

:confused:

But what about the students that dropped their spots to go to other schools? I know on SDN there are about 4 students who were accepted at 'SC but turned down their positions.

every school accepts way more applicants than they have seats for, for this reason. The waitlist is for situations where they need to fill up seats.

Say they accept 250-300 students for 160 spots. About 100 (at least) will have to turn them down before they start pulling from the waitlist.

that being said, the rumor going around is that ~50 people in the class will get in off the waitlist.

Personally I'm convinced it's all bullsh*t. Even though they're rolling admissions, they stated numerous times that the time of your interview did not determine your chance of acceptance, and that the class would not be filled until all interviewees had been reviewed...so if they have to keep slots open til the very last minute, why is the class suddenly so full, despite the fact that numerous people have withdrawn. I feel like they're either coming up with this "grace period" thing because they're behind this year, or they just overaccepted. Monique, however, did confirm today over the phone that nothing will happen until June.

Personally I'm convinced it's all bullsh*t. Even though they're rolling admissions, they stated numerous times that the time of your interview did not determine your chance of acceptance, and that the class would not be filled until all interviewees had been reviewed...so if they have to keep slots open til the very last minute, why is the class suddenly so full, despite the fact that numerous people have withdrawn. I feel like they're either coming up with this "grace period" thing because they're behind this year, or they just overaccepted. Monique, however, did confirm today over the phone that nothing will happen until June.

Thanks Emilie. My sentiments were about the same. :)