USC/Keck vs. Case (scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2dogs76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm stuck between two schools. I'm a California resident and my family & SO lives in LA, so USC is very close to home, which is nice. However, Case is a great school and has offered me a 35k a year scholarship, which makes it a lot cheaper than USC. I want to go into some type of surgery; right now I'm thinking neurosurgery. I would like to end up in California eventually, but I don't know if its worth 140k more in loans to go to Keck instead of Case. I'm so stuck pls send help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably would go with Case if I were you. The money itself is a huge plus there and they have stronger matches in surgical programs than USC, which is also a good school and will not significantly limit you in any way, though Case will open more doors there probably. 35k/yr scholarship is pretty significant I believe you will be thanking yourself a decade from now if you were to matriculate at Case.

140k is a huuuuge difference and Case is a top notch school. Case is a private school and matches well to CA. Go to Case, take advantage of their incredible research opportunities, enjoy life knowing you have 140k less to worry about. If you decide on a not so high paying specialty, the ability to more easily afford life back in CA will be a huge plus. If you decide on Nsg or something else super competitive, do a few away rotations back in CA (you'll have the extra money).