Usc mph?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureepi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find out more info on this program but haven't really seen anything about it, especially in terms of prestige or its place in the field of public health. Any firsthand experiences? Something I'm not seeing? (Not that US News means a whole lot, but is there a reason this program isn't in there?)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? I've been accepted to Minnesota and BU (both for Epi) - how would USC compare? I'm just looking into keeping my options open and staying in SoCal if UCLA doesn't come through...

Last edited:
I've been trying to find out more info on this program but haven't really seen anything about it, especially in terms of prestige or its place in the field of public health. Any firsthand experiences? Something I'm not seeing? (Not that US News means a whole lot, but is there a reason this program isn't in there?)

I'm assuming you're referring to University of Southern California? USC is a CEPH accredited school but it isn't recognized by the ASPH. I think someone else on here can clarify what exactly the difference between these two bodies is. I think that might play a role in why it isn't ranked very high by US News. Again this might be because of funding. I basically went by the list of schools accredited by the ASPH and then their ranking. There are advantages to attending a school of public health (on ASPH's website).

I would email student services and see if they can get you in touch with an alum or current student and see if you can talk to them more about the program and why they chose it.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
USC is a CEPH accredited school but it isn't recognized by the ASPH. I think someone else on here can clarify what exactly the difference between these two bodies is.

The ASPH accredits dedicated schools of public health. The USC MPH program is through the Keck School of Medicine, which is why it is only CEPH accredited.

From what I've gathered, as long as the program is CEPH accredited it should be fine. What I'm more concerned about is if I decide to pursue a DrPH or PhD after my masters and the perception and/or quality of USC's MPH affecting My chances for admission to those (very competitive) programs. I don't want to turn down MN for USC if it would ultimately have a negative impact on my future, especially if I am doing so in part because of location.

Sorry if this is vague/poorly written. I won't say I enjoy writing from my blackberry...

From what I've gathered, as long as the program is CEPH accredited it should be fine. What I'm more concerned about is if I decide to pursue a DrPH or PhD after my masters and the perception and/or quality of USC's MPH affecting My chances for admission to those (very competitive) programs. I don't want to turn down MN for USC if it would ultimately have a negative impact on my future, especially if I am doing so in part because of location.

IMHO, if you're planning to go on to a doctoral program in Epi, I would go to a SPH. I do think there is a possibility that the top schools may discount your degree, no matter how good a medical school USC may be. Also, I have seen more than a few job listings and a couple grant opportunities that specify one must have an MPH from an ASPH school.

I am a faculty member at USC. It is correct that our program is not ranked by US News because PROGRAMS in public health are ranked but SCHOOLS are not. Thus, a "program" is a MPH degree that is offered within some university entity other than a school of public health. In practice, there is not a great deal of difference between a program offered by a prestigious school such as the Keck School of Medicine at USC and a school of public health.

It is also correct that an important criterion for decision-making about MPH education is to attend a program/school that is accredited by the Council on Public Health Education (CEPH).

In my opinion, future employers will be most interested in (1) whether your program was accredited and (2) the competencies that you have built during your program.

If you are thinking about going on to pursue a Ph.D. degree, any program that is housed in a department or school that has doctoral programs will be recognized by other universities. USC has excellent doctoral programs in epidemiology, biostatistics, and health behavior.

... It is correct that our program is not ranked by US News because PROGRAMS in public health are ranked but SCHOOLS are not. Thus, a "program" is a MPH degree that is offered within some university entity other than a school of public health...

Another example of how "ranking" only means so much (see my other thread regarding how subjective the whole thing is anyway).

If the program is CEPH accredited, I don't see why future PhD schools would look down on it.

Also, the number of opportunities tied to ASPH-affiliation are very limited and I wouldn't let that be a factor.

I'm completely confused with this decision as well. I absolutely loved BU's program and the research available in Boston. However, being from CA, USC is an appealing choice since it's closer to home. Any more advice??

1. Work wise - If I move to the east coast after USC, will I find a job? Same with if I attend BU and move back home to the west coast, will I find a job?

2. Does the "name" of the program matter? I know USC is an up and coming program while BU is its own SPH and is a well-rooted program. How much weight does this have?