• Tufts

Votes: 19 26.4%

• Total voters

omisoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
Which would you choose? I'm a California resident and would love to come back to CA for residency, but because of my sig. other's job prospects, I have to be open to doing residency anywhere. Any advice is helpful...

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by omisoc
Which would you choose? I'm a California resident and would love to come back to CA for residency, but because of my sig. other's job prospects, I have to be open to doing residency anywhere. Any advice is helpful...

well if your wife/husband/same-sex union partner is in boston i think its an easy decision. otherwise go to usc

omisoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
Well, he has the prospect of being in either Boston or SF/Bay area in a year or so...but this isn't definite...

Originally posted by exmike
well if your wife/husband/same-sex union partner is in boston i think its an easy decision. otherwise go to usc

About the Ads
E

Eraserhead

Why does everyone always insist on using weather to decide where to go to school?

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Why does everyone always insist on using weather to decide where to go to school?

i dont know either :confused:

its a poor argument unless the schools are otherwise identical, which is not the case here.

BerkeleyPremed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
I think USC can provide a better a medical education than Tufts. This is partially reflected in the US News and World Report med school rankings...but also in terms of academics in general. I think even USC ugrad is ranked higher than Tufts...plus, USC has been expanding its facilities and I'm pretty sure it has a much larger endowment for research than Tufts.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by omisoc
Well, he has the prospect of being in either Boston or SF/Bay area in a year or so...but this isn't definite...

I dont know what happened to my post, but anyway:

SFBay to So Cal isnt that bad of a commute. Its a 4 hour or so drive depending on how fast you go, or a $70 ticket on JetBlue or SWA if you plan ahead.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2001
La La land, having moved on with life.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Originally posted by exmike
SFBay to So Cal isnt that bad of a commute. Its a 4 hour or so drive depending on how fast you go, or a $70 ticket on JetBlue or SWA if you plan ahead.

Travelling 420 miles in 4 hours??? That is quite impressive.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by Jalby
Travelling 420 miles in 4 hours??? That is quite impressive.

from san jose to right across the grapevine is only 350 or so miles. at 85mph (which is pretty average on the I-5) its certainly doable. add an hour if you're coming from the SFBay of course.

bell

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2003
San Diego
Status (Visible)
I would also compare the price tag...isn't tufts way more expensive.
Keck all the way...but then I am biased...

omisoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
yeah, Keck is much cheaper because I wouldn't have to pay for housing in LA...

I liked both schools, but like LA more than Boston. Sf/Bay area isn't that far from LA, but 4 years is a long time....

Originally posted by bell
I would also compare the price tag...isn't tufts way more expensive.
Keck all the way...but then I am biased...

Mr. Rosewater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
erf
Status (Visible)
never question the glory of california on sdn, you'll be overwhelmed with homers singing it's praises.

About the Ads

Mr. Rosewater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
erf
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by bell
well..you can't criticize the best :)

especially if you like pollution and austrians ;)

fwiw, i voted tufts for the following reasons:

1. B/C I may go there.
2. B/C although USC is ranked SLIGHTLY higher, Tufts beats it in peer assesment and residency director rank.
3. Boston is a great place to go to med school b/c it's a great place to get a residency (MGH, NEMC, BI, BUMC, etc).

Anyway, these schools do seem to be quite similar as far as quality goes, so it really comes down to where you want to be. if you enjoy living in ca, and you want to practice there, then i would probably go w/ USC. g'luck.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Tufts tuition is one of the most expensive of private schools at 39K a year.

uclacrewdude

the uclacrewdude abides
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
maddox.xmission.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

b/c weather is something that you cant get away from. its like one of the facts about a place thats with you all the time. i dont think east coast people realize how hard it is to cope with the fact that you cant just wear what you want, you cant just hop out of bed and be out the door in 5 minutes, you have to take your time on the road, not knowing what clothes to get to keep you warm (and spending another thousand just to amp up your winter wardrobe), not even being able to spend any time outside. most of all, the SAD. jesus, that hit me WAY hard this year. thats saying a lot, considering i had never been happier in my entire life up till like mid november. your happiness directly affects how well you learn, so if you want to do well in school you should be as happy as possible, and if the weather is as big a component of your happiness as it is for most californians, go to SC.

i voted for SC even though im a bruin alum. USC is a fantastic school, and since they teach out of LA county you will come out a wonderfully skilled clinician. moreover, someone said they have really good research. when i applied to USC for undergrad, they were throwing scholarships and grants at me left and right (despite not having really done anything) so it makes sense that they would do the same for your medical education. LA isnt far from the bay area at all (fremont - UCLA = 4.5 hrs, my best time [though ive had friends who claim 3 hrs]) ... definitely an easier long term relationship than other people have. finally, if you go to school in USC, you will outright match better, without having to worry about being AOA or scoring hella high on the boards. if you wanna live and work in california, youre better off going to USC.

personally, i thought boston was a dirty city and the people there werent all that friendly. lot of typical east coast snobbery and stuff. moreover, tufts is definitely one of the most expensive med schools in the nation (i go to temple and am set to borrow approx 200K across 4yrs), and frankly, i dont think you get your bang for your buck, plain and simplel.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2001
La La land, having moved on with life.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
especially if you like pollution and austrians ;)

fwiw, i voted tufts for the following reasons:

1. B/C I may go there.
2. B/C although USC is ranked SLIGHTLY higher, Tufts beats it in peer assesment and residency director rank.
3. Boston is a great place to go to med school b/c it's a great place to get a residency (MGH, NEMC, BI, BUMC, etc).

Anyway, these schools do seem to be quite similar as far as quality goes, so it really comes down to where you want to be. if you enjoy living in ca, and you want to practice there, then i would probably go w/ USC. g'luck.

Keck's on it's way up. 110$ Million dollar gift, 450million fundraising in the past 4 years. 3 new research buildings. past three classes having highest MCAT and GPA in school history. 3rd years scoring highest board score in history (and that was with them havint 3.57 GPA and 31.4 MCAT. It'll be better with my class. 3.62 GPA and 32.4 MCAT with all the kinks from the new curriculum worked out)

So you are right, the rankings might not be to different right now. I'm betting they will be drastically different by the time this classes applicants graduate.

darkcity998

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
yes, it would be wise to discuss the total cost of attending tufts - $244,000 for the whole MD - with your significant other. sounds like you prefer california, if so, even if you stay with your significant other in boston, things may not be pleasant when you're stressed out during med school and thinking about the "what if I were in cali..."

chicago13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2004
Status (Visible)
drop your sig other and go to california. you'll find someone else

Rose122

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Status (Visible)

Maybe because many people consider weather when deciding where they will live and work. I've lived in california, and four other states so I know what winter weather can be like but many Californians fear cold weather like cold climate people fear earthquakes.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.