USC or UOP???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandydent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I would like some input on deciding whether to attend USC or UOP in the fall. I have been accepted at both schools and liked them both...

any thoughts???

I want to be a great clinician, and I am not that interested in research :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I would like some input on deciding whether to attend USC or UOP in the fall. I have been accepted at both schools and liked them both...

any thoughts???

Both have strong clinical programs and in my opinion it's a tossup clinically. Although there are many UOP lovers on this board who will disagree.

I would more look at the city, do you prefer SF or LA? I personally like SF more to live in but that's just me, although I'm going to UCLA next year. Also 3 vs 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to USC duh...so I have a better chance at getting of Pacific's waitlist.
Ok, on a more serious note go wherever your more comfortable at.

Go to uop! It's only 3 years! You can graduate year earlier than other d-students!

USC of course. :D We need more action on the "USC c/o 2012” thread.

What specific pros and cons are you throwing around in your decision making?

I like the PBL at USC. It doesn't seem like it will be as "tough" academically. It worries me that USC has had poor graduation rates for a couple years. I know it is getting better, but I don't want to take the chance of going to school for 4+ years.

UOP is awesome because it is only 3 years, and it will cost less in the long run. My family also lives closer to San Francisco. Another pro for UOP is that they don't have specialties besides orthodontics on the campus, so the dental students get to handle more problem cases instead of passing them onto the specialty students. Also, when I visited the students just seemed happier at UOP.

I don't really have a preference one way or another between locations. I think I would like living in the city of San Francisco as much as LA. I felt fairly comfortable at both schools.

I know either school will help me become a great dentist. Just wondering what other people thought.

If you like Abercrombie type boys with sexy abs, go to USC. It'll the the best 6 years of your life.

Isn't having specialty programs good, since they tend to reserve seats from their own students?

Hi!

any thoughts???

I actually have a bit of insight most wouldn't, I have been on campus at both schools, my Dad and Uncle went to USC (a LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time ago) and my brother and about 6 cousins went to UOP including one that is going there this fall. I also have a friend at UoP right now. As far as clinically flip a coin... honestly USC and UoP (along with Creighton) are all incredible as far as producing very skilled general dentists (though if I had to rank them clinically I would lean a slight bit towards UoP). You can't go wrong with either school as far as that goes.

What USC has been struggling with is getting kids to graduate on time. This is due to the sheer size of the class, including the international students. Now that being said everyone still graduates and those that are motivated enough will graduate on time. If you are struggling to get your work in you'll just graduate a month or two later... no biggie.

The real difference between them is not even the 3 vs 4 years it is more about what kind of learning style you like. If you prefer structure go to UoP, if you prefer flexibly in your learning (and don't mind the PBL) go to USC. If you're not sure which you prefer... go to UoP, you don't want to be a year through and decide you HATE the PBL, it will be a miserable 4 years.

When I was applying USC was almost last on my list of schools that I applied to, now that I have been there and seen the PBL for myself it is now the #1 school on my list. That is because I love the that style of learning, it may not be that way for you. UoP and USC are incredible clinical schools so it all depends on what you prefer when it comes to learning the stuff.

I like the PBL at USC. It doesn't seem like it will be as "tough" academically. It worries me that USC has had poor graduation rates for a couple years. I know it is getting better, but I don't want to take the chance of going to school for 4+ years.

UOP is awesome because it is only 3 years, and it will cost less in the long run. My family also lives closer to San Francisco. Another pro for UOP is that they don't have specialties besides orthodontics on the campus, so the dental students get to handle more problem cases instead of passing them onto the specialty students. Also, when I visited the students just seemed happier at UOP.

I don't really have a preference one way or another between locations. I think I would like living in the city of San Francisco as much as LA. I felt fairly comfortable at both schools.

I know either school will help me become a great dentist. Just wondering what other people thought.
Some would argue Uop the better clinical school I agree with that, but not by much... maybe 3% if you get my point. Honestly it is all about whether you like the PBL or traditional lecture, THAT should be your decision. They are both expensive and they are both in high real estate areas. They both have endless things to do for fun. It comes down to learning style. You will be swamped at UoP, but you might HATE the PBL... so it is just a tough choice, but that is what it should come down to.

My understanding, clinically speaking, is that the graduation requirements are pretty similar (ie how many crowns, endo's, etc you have done) maybe even slightly more for USC. This equates into good experience in general dentistry and, unfortunately, late graduations. As mentioned earlier, those that do graduate late do so quickly.

One thing to consider is living expenses. Living in SF aint cheap by any stretch, but then Pacific is only 3 years. LA is also pretty expensive (not exactly sure what the cost is) but is four years and change.

One last thing. If you go to USC or Pacific and dont at least consider the HPSP, then you are insane. Just my $.02

My understanding, clinically speaking, is that the graduation requirements are pretty similar (ie how many crowns, endo's, etc you have done) maybe even slightly more for USC. This equates into good experience in general dentistry and, unfortunately, late graduations. As mentioned earlier, those that do graduate late do so quickly.

One thing to consider is living expenses. Living in SF aint cheap by any stretch, but then Pacific is only 3 years. LA is also pretty expensive (not exactly sure what the cost is) but is four years and change.

One last thing. If you go to USC or Pacific and dont at least consider the HPSP, then you are insane. Just my $.02
HPSP?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview there, and when did you got admission?

Please, tell me thanks.

I thought general dentists make around $130,00+/-.

Specialties like Ortho/Pedo/Perio/etc. make around $344,000 if that's what you are talking about armorshell.

I thought general dentists make around $130,00+/-.

Specialties like Ortho/Pedo/Perio/etc. make around $344,000 if that's what you are talking about armorshell.

He's talking about the total cost of tuition and estimated living expenses at each school over the course of the # of years it would take to complete the full program.

And $130,000 is the average national pay of salaried dentists...which does not include those who do not work on salary, i.e. own their own practice.

I think he meant it as the cost of tuition minus 1 year of average salary, rather than that the average salary of dentists is 344k

Hey Hyphae, I like your signature ... cool ! :rolleyes:

Back to main topic, Mandydent, I think u should consider going to UOP because you can save 1 year ! Time is golden .

i have no insight (i'm applying this year). but honestly, after reading this post, you pretty much convinced ME that you're going to UOP. it sounds like the better bet here with the reasons you listed.

I interviewed at both schools and was accepted to both schools and I would choose UOP over USC. But, if I didn't have the option I think I would've been just fine attending USC. Here are the things that I noticed from my interviews:

USC
- I hated the LA traffic
- I hated the "feel" of LA
- The interview was disorganized
- I never met any faculty or D3's or D4's - only D1 and D2 students (I didn't feel like I could get a good "feel" about the school from a D1 who has only been there a few months)
- I remember the building feeling a bit old and run-down
- The tour seems like a blur in my head, I really don't remember anything from it except a crowded hygiene clinic and chaos
- When I went to the bathroom there were two students that told me not to attend USC
- I was actually impressed with the PBL session and the "idea" of PBL
- As negative as these comments may sound I was actually more impressed with USC than I expected

UOP
- San Fran has better public transportation
- I liked the "feel" of San Fran
- The interview was very organized
- When I first walked into the dental school I thought I was in some corporate office building - the entrance looked really nice and everyone was wearing nice clothes - everything looked very professional
- I liked the facilities
- Everyone at UOP was super nice
- I really felt like UOP wanted me to come there - a totally different feeling than I got at other schools
- I met faculty, and students from 1-3rd year - they all seemed happy to be at UOP

I'm just going to stop listing things - the reason I would choose UOP over USC is because it seemed like a happier, better-organized place.

Definitely UOP.

It's not just about the money. There is no value that you can put on a year of your life. The sooner you come out, the sooner you can start putting into practice the very thing you set out to go to dental school for: dentistry. I can understand the desire to have a good dental school experience but that's something you can get at any school. If you like the dental school experience so much you find you don't want to leave, you could just sign up for a residency and get more hands on skills.

Were it a comparison of a 4 year school with a 4 year school, I'd say opt for the one you feel better at. 4 years vs. 3 years? Just think about 4 years down the line, you could either be fighting over dental chairs while interest gathers on your loans or be degree in hand working to pay off that debt.

edit: well, not sign up for a residency, per se ...

I interviewed at both schools and was accepted to both schools and I would choose UOP over USC. But, if I didn't have the option I think I would've been just fine attending USC. Here are the things that I noticed from my interviews:

USC
- I hated the LA traffic
- I hated the "feel" of LA
- The interview was disorganized
- I never met any faculty or D3's or D4's - only D1 and D2 students (I didn't feel like I could get a good "feel" about the school from a D1 who has only been there a few months)
- I remember the building feeling a bit old and run-down
- The tour seems like a blur in my head, I really don't remember anything from it except a crowded hygiene clinic and chaos
- When I went to the bathroom there were two students that told me not to attend USC
- I was actually impressed with the PBL session and the "idea" of PBL
- As negative as these comments may sound I was actually more impressed with USC than I expected

UOP
- San Fran has better public transportation
- I liked the "feel" of San Fran
- The interview was very organized
- When I first walked into the dental school I thought I was in some corporate office building - the entrance looked really nice and everyone was wearing nice clothes - everything looked very professional
- I liked the facilities
- Everyone at UOP was super nice
- I really felt like UOP wanted me to come there - a totally different feeling than I got at other schools
- I met faculty, and students from 1-3rd year - they all seemed happy to be at UOP

I'm just going to stop listing things - the reason I would choose UOP over USC is because it seemed like a happier, better-organized place.

Ditto

you could either be fighting over dental chairs while interest gathers on your loans or be degree in hand working to pay off that debt.

Interest accrues after you graduate, even at a 4 year school.

For whoever asked...I interviewed at USC in October and got in December 1

I interviewed at Pacific Feb 11, and I got in Feb 19th

:laugh: oh.

i didn't have loans in undergrad. i guess i better start learning :oops:

nevertheless, i stand firm in that UOP is the better choice because of the extra year.

:laugh: oh.

i didn't have loans in undergrad. i guess i better start learning :oops:

nevertheless, i stand firm in that UOP is the better choice because of the extra year.

I agree that extra year off is great, especially because the students still get a great education; I went to Pacific Pride Day and was very impressed with UOP.

Last edited:
UoP in a heart beat.

Why?

PBL blows and I'm a NorCal kinda guy!

UoP, no question.

I'm not really a fan of NorCal myself. If UoP were in LA, you bet your sweet bippy I would be there in a heartbeat. As it is, I just got on the alternate list, but since I was accepted to LLU, there's a huge chance I'll be going there.

UoP seems the obvious choice, unless you really prefer SoCal to NorCal.

Actually, you are right and wrong.

Interest accrues after you graduate for subsidized federal stafford loans

Interest accrues during school for UNsubsidized federal stafford loans

And it is somewhat more variable for the other types of loans like grad+ and private loans.

Also, the maximum subsidized federal loans right now are only $8,500 a year. You can get an additional $32,000 a year in ubsubsidized loans a year, and after that you need to get further loans if necessary through Federal Grad+ programs or private lenders.

So, you are right, a small amount of your loans will accrue no interest during school (if you're the average type of student who takes most of their dental ed out in loans) but the vast majority of your loans will accrue interest during school

You don't have to pay back loans until after you graduate...perhaps that is what you were thinking about.

Actually, you are right and wrong.

Interest accrues after you graduate for subsidized federal stafford loans

Interest accrues during school for UNsubsidized federal stafford loans

And it is somewhat more variable for the other types of loans like grad+ and private loans.

Also, the maximum subsidized federal loans right now are only $8,500 a year. You can get an additional $32,000 a year in ubsubsidized loans a year, and after that you need to get further loans if necessary through Federal Grad+ programs or private lenders.

So, you are right, a small amount of your loans will accrue no interest during school (if you're the average type of student who takes most of their dental ed out in loans) but the vast majority of your loans will accrue interest during school

You don't have to pay back loans until after you graduate...perhaps that is what you were thinking about.

Thanks for clarifying!

Last edited: