Program-Specific Info / Q's USC vs. Columbia MSOT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ot0305

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was recently admitted to USC and Columbia's MSOT programs, and am trying to make a final decision between the two. What are some of the pros/cons of each program, and your impressions or experiences (for those who are current/past students or have visited before/heard from others)? Excluding cost as a deciding factor, as they are both very expensive.

In addition, does anyone have experience applying to OTD programs at a school different from the one they received their masters from? What was that like?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I was recently admitted to USC and Columbia's MSOT programs, and am trying to make a final decision between the two. What are some of the pros/cons of each program, and your impressions or experiences (for those who are current/past students or have visited before/heard from others)? Excluding cost as a deciding factor, as they are both very expensive.

In addition, does anyone have experience applying to OTD programs at a school different from the one they received their masters from? What was that like?

Thank you!!

Hi! Wondering where you ended up going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I’m in a similar situation to OP and was wondering if anyone has any new input about the programs and/or about applying to OTD programs at a different school than you received your MS.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar situation as well - currently debating between USC (master's) and NYU (two tiered master's + doctorate's). One of the factors I'm considering is cost (NYU is more costly overall; however, with adding in the potential cost of an OTD degree at USC, NYU is a better price value). Connections/depth of opportunities is another factor - I feel confident that USC would prepare students for future work within the field, and there seems to be a ton of research and volunteer opportunities within reach. NYU sounds like a great program as well, but being from the west coast, I'm not quite as familiar with their program and the connections they have. I've always wanted to go to school in the NY area; however, I'm not quite sure if the price tag of NYU can justify that. On top of that, I recently received a scholarship for USC (small, but still something), so I'm just reconsidering everything all over again.

If anyone has insight on how either of the two programs are and/or has been through a similar decision-making process, I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks so much in advance :)