Program-Specific Info / Q's USC vs SJSU OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkot

Reaction score
Hello,

I was accepted to USC and SJSU for their OT programs!
I'm a CA resident so SJSU will be very cheap for me (close to a 100k difference between SJ and USC).
However, there's an inkling inside me that can't let go of the "reputation/prestige" of USC.
All the OTs that I've talked to told me that employers don't really look at what school you graduated from.
Does the reputation really matter in the long run? Is the cheaper options the better option?
I'm slightly interested in research... but I most likely want to be an international OT in the long run.
Any input will be helpful!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I was accepted to USC and SJSU for their OT programs!
I'm a CA resident so SJSU will be very cheap for me (close to a 100k difference between SJ and USC).
However, there's an inkling inside me that can't let go of the "reputation/prestige" of USC.
All the OTs that I've talked to told me that employers don't really look at what school you graduated from.
Does the reputation really matter in the long run? Is the cheaper options the better option?
I'm slightly interested in research... but I most likely want to be an international OT in the long run as a Christian missionary.
Any input will be helpful!!!

Hi! I have known some USC alumni’s for OT and the advice I received was that it is not worth going into that much debt. In the long run, all that matters is that you went to an accredited program and passed your boards! The advice I have received is to go to the cheapest program. The OT I know that graduated from USC makes the same income as someone from Cleveland State (not highly ranked and a cheap school). I totally get it though, USC is a dream :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohh that is a hard choice. Though I did not apply for USC, I think it really depends on how/what you want to do with your OT degree in the future.

An OT once told me to think about the options you might want to pursue now, since fieldwork/intern experience will help you get a job in the future.

For me personally, SJSU was affordable and will allow me to sit for the exam and get my license and practice. So I picked that school.

But if you are thinking of building your own clinic/business, USC might have the network and opportunities then it might be the choice for you.

Regardless, I think they are both good schools, it is just if it was me, I would not want to be in so much debt for the rest of my life.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of in the same boat, not deciding between those particular schools, but between one very-highly-ranked (but super expensive) school (WashU), and another school that's still good, but just doesn't have the same "prestige", and is also much more affordable (Ohio State). I haven't made my mind up 100%, but I think what it's coming down to for me is deciding exactly where I want my future to go, and what school would support that better.

USC, similarly to WashU, is big in research and has faculty who have a lot of leadership experience in the OT world; they have big names and are renowned for the work they do. If you're looking to go a step further than just clinical work (i.e. academia, research, leadership, etc.) I think it might be worth taking on the debt of USC. You will make amazing connections there, and that's something that is hard to put a price tag on. I actually did a summer program at USC last summer, and I will say, the faculty there are absolutely amazing and inspiring people. I loved every second of learning under them, and they made me want to big things.

However, if you're looking to go strictly into clinical work, I think this is when it matters less about what school you go to, as long as you learn the material being taught to you, are able to retain it for when you're practicing, and pass your boards. In this case, I don't think it's worth taking on such debt, because you'll be able to get a clinical job no matter what school you go to.

Obviously I'm no expert, because I'm in the same boat as you, but I've done a lot of thinking/research on this same issue and it's the conclusion I've come to. So I would just say think about where you see yourself in the future and see which school will offer you the best resources for that (and if it's the one with the lower price tag, even better.)

Best of luck with your decision – I know it can be extreeemely tough. Either way, just know you're going to come out of it all being a great OT if you have the passion for it, no matter where you go :)

I recently graduated from USC and while it is such a great school and the professors and networking opportunities are amazing, I would strongly recommend going to the cheapest school. Employers really don’t care where you went to school - they care mostly about your experiences and that you have your license, so as long as the program is accredited, the school “ranking” doesn’t seem to matter. I would personally choose SJSU - you’re saving 100k right there. I know a few of my classmates who are now $200k in debt and will be paying it off for the next 27 years.... Don’t get me wrong, I loved USC but I don’t think it’s worth all that money when you can get the same exact job and pay going to a cheaper school and not having to worry about as much (or any) debt afterwards.

I'm at SJSU right now in my final semester. No regrets paying under $30,000 for the entire tuition for the 2.5 years (2 years learning and 0.5 years FWII). I feel very prepared to be out in the real world as a clinician but I'm also in my 30's and confident in my soft skills too.

I volunteered at USC's Keck Medical for a year with the OT's and PT's. Most of their staff is from USC. A few of the USC graduates with OTD's did not recommend going to USC if you are just going to be a clinician.

As for research... you will be doing research at any school you go to (or I think you should be, that's what I'm working on right now at SJSU).

USC has amazing facilities and the cost of their program should reflect that greatly. SJSU is a public school and our facilities get the job done. Nothing lacking. Nothing extravagant.

Loans are a burden to most anyone and the amount we will be making when we graduate isn't the best at paying back student loans in the $100,000+ range. If that stresses you out for decades, I'd gladly go to any of the cheapest programs. All the programs in CA have 96%+ NBCOT pass rates anyway.

Reactions: 1 user