USciences DPT class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mjm1175

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I got accepted into USciences DPT in Philadelphia. I just wanted to start a thread for the new class so we can all ask any questions, figure out housing etc. I started looking for an apartment and I'm looking for a roommate/roommates. I'm not sure if there is a Facebook page yet but hopefully that will get created soon.

Questions for student who are already in the program:

-Any suggestions for the summer anatomy class as far as study tactics? How are the professors at PCOM?

-What are your secrets to succeeding in general?

- where are the cheap(er) apartments that are relatively close to campus?

-Has anyone been dismissed from the program that you know of?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I got accepted into USciences DPT in Philadelphia. I just wanted to start a thread for the new class so we can all ask any questions, figure out housing etc. I started looking for an apartment and I'm looking for a roommate/roommates. I'm not sure if there is a Facebook page yet but hopefully that will get created soon.

-Any suggestions for the summer anatomy class as far as study tactics? How are the professors at PCOM?

How was the interview? Do you remember the kind of questions that were asked? My interview is approaching

How was the interview? Do you remember the kind of questions that were asked? My interview is approaching

The interview went pretty well. I interviewed in December and found out a week later via email. There was suppose to be 5 students and 3 faculty but only 4 students were there. They lightened the mood as much as they could which was nice. They asked personality questions. What would you do and how would you handle it questions. Didn't get asked specifically "why PT". Questions like "how would your best friend describe you" "if you were a prof. And your class was doing poorly, what would you do to help them" etc. interview lasted about 30-45 min and each student takes turns answering questions first. The tour didn't last very long.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview went pretty well. I interviewed in December and found out a week later via email. There was suppose to be 5 students and 3 faculty but only 4 students were there. They lightened the mood as much as they could which was nice. They asked personality questions. What would you do and how would you handle it questions. Didn't get asked specifically "why PT". Questions like "how would your best friend describe you" "if you were a prof. And your class was doing poorly, what would you do to help them" etc. interview lasted about 30-45 min and each student takes turns answering questions first. The tour didn't last very long.
Was there questions asked like "describe a time" and give specific examples or no ?

Hey, class of 2016 student here...

Ive been at usciences since 2010, so I am very familar with the area. Theres a ton of cheap housing off campus. I would say if you had roomates average rent is 500. Ive gotten away with paying 350-400. If you want to live closer to upenn in nicer housing/or want to live alone, expect 600-750 rent. The housing is literally right off of campus. Usciences is very small and surrounding it is residential ghetto west philly, so yeah plenty of cheap housing

Professors teaching gross at pcomm are the same professors from usciences. They are great. Expect gross to be the hardest class in the program and treat it as such. Make friends and study together. Flashcards help and visit lab off hours to study. Make friends with upperclassmen and your TAs. I studied very smart and not nearly as hard as my peers and got As. Figure out the style of the test after exam 1 and study accordingly. I read the book very closely. Class case studies are pretty useless so dont stress too much about that.

Secrets to succeeding are study smart not hard. Im not gonna bother echoing the hundred threads on this site about study tactics in Pt school, find what works for you. Make a lot of upperclassmen friends, if you interviewed youre probably a post bacc, so make friends with other post baccs and especially make friends with undergrad usciences students. They already have cliques and study groups so join them. The usp kids from undergrad have a very cooperative attitude whereas most post baccs dont. The undergrad kids wont be afraid to share and cooperate as long as you bring something to the table. Ask upperclassmen what books are needed. My post bacc buddies bought every book. I downloaded what i could and didnt bother with the rest and I got As. Chances are your TAs for gross anatomy will have the books on email they pass around.

Yes people have been dismissed. We have lost about 15 or so. Most from gross anatomy, so study hard. Use your resources. You get kicked out of program for less than 80% on any class. I know kids that have gotten 79%s.. dont be those kids, it sucks. Find the upperclassman in your gross class thats repeating it. Make him/her your best friend, they know the ins and out of the class already. Just study hard and make friends with your professors, you wont fail. The professors are willing to help if you start to slip, just go there and talk. dont wait till last minute.

Let me know of any other questions!
Welcome to usciences!

Ive been at usciences since 2010, so I am very familar with the area. Theres a ton of cheap housing off campus. I would say if you had roomates average rent is 500. Ive gotten away with paying 350-400. If you want to live closer to upenn in nicer housing/or want to live alone, expect 600-750 rent. The housing is literally right off of campus. Usciences is very small and surrounding it is residential ghetto west philly, so yeah plenty of cheap housing

Professors teaching gross at pcomm are the same professors from usciences. They are great. Expect gross to be the hardest class in the program and treat it as such. Make friends and study together. Flashcards help and visit lab off hours to study. Make friends with upperclassmen and your TAs. I studied very smart and not nearly as hard as my peers and got As. Figure out the style of the test after exam 1 and study accordingly. I read the book very closely. Class case studies are pretty useless so dont stress too much about that.

Secrets to succeeding are study smart not hard. Im not gonna bother echoing the hundred threads on this site about study tactics in Pt school, find what works for you. Make a lot of upperclassmen friends, if you interviewed youre probably a post bacc, so make friends with other post baccs and especially make friends with undergrad usciences students. They already have cliques and study groups so join them. The usp kids from undergrad have a very cooperative attitude whereas most post baccs dont. The undergrad kids wont be afraid to share and cooperate as long as you bring something to the table. Ask upperclassmen what books are needed. My post bacc buddies bought every book. I downloaded what i could and didnt bother with the rest and I got As. Chances are your TAs for gross anatomy will have the books on email they pass around.

Yes people have been dismissed. We have lost about 15 or so. Most from gross anatomy, so study hard. Use your resources. You get kicked out of program for less than 80% on any class. I know kids that have gotten 79%s.. dont be those kids, it sucks. Find the upperclassman in your gross class thats repeating it. Make him/her your best friend, they know the ins and out of the class already. Just study hard and make friends with your professors, you wont fail. The professors are willing to help if you start to slip, just go there and talk. dont wait till last minute.

Welcome to usciences!

Hey thanks for all of the info! I was recently accepted as well. Do you remember which book was used for gross anatomy? I was thinking of getting a head start on some reading

Hey thanks for all of the info! I was recently accepted as well. Do you remember which book was used for gross anatomy? I was thinking of getting a head start on some reading

Essential clinical anatomy (I used 4th ed) theres a pdf floating online somewhere
Atlas of anatomy -anne gilroy. Theres a pdf of latin nomenclature version floating around online
Grants dissector

I also used netter flashcards which were helpful

Also, if you want a headstart I would just look online for premade flashcards for muscles, origins, insertions, nerve, and artery . Im im not mistaken first test is upper back and neck

Have you started looking for places to live yet or roommates?

Welcome to usciences!

Thanks for your help! Could you give me a rough estimate of how much living expenses for the three years might be?