USF Master's in Medical Science Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grpink18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to the USF MSMS program about 4 weeks ago, but I still have not heard anything back from them. I am slightly freaking out because it has just been such a long time. My overall GPA is a 3.3 (they want a 3.2) and my GRE is a 305 (they want a 297). My science GPA does not meet their requirement so that is why I am in a panic. I am studying and retaking the MCAT this year before January, so I did not even bother sending my horrible score to them.
I would like to apply to medical school after taking one gap year. I was hoping this MSMS would improve my GPA and make me a better qualified candidate. How long did it take other applicants that applied for Fall 2014 to hear from USF?
Also, if I do not get in, any advice on helping my science GPA? Maybe other MSMS programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not qualified to answer your specific questions, but you need to know that obtaining a MSMS will not improve the GPA you will be applying to medical school with. To improve your undergraduate GPA, you need to either take additional undergraduate classes, or retake ones you did poorly in if you are interested in DO.

The opinion on how admissions committees view graduate degree work varies widely.

Reactions: 1 user
Well sadly, I graduated already so it will be hard to take additional courses. If I retake the courses at a state college nearby, will MD schools consider those as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Post-bac or SMP programs are a dime-a-dozen, so do your homework and find one, Can you relocate? Obviously, if your sGPA is below the minimum for the USF program, they're not going to admit you.

uGPA won't chance, but cGPA will, and we look at that. That's the whole purpose of the post-bac....to get the cGPA to a competitive level.

I'm not qualified to answer your specific questions, but you need to know that obtaining a MSMS will not improve the GPA you will be applying to medical school with. To improve your undergraduate GPA, you need to either take additional undergraduate classes, or retake ones you did poorly in if you are interested in DO.

USF does take in post-bacc students (informally).