2.8 uGPA, formal postbacc vs. Masters advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anonymousj

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi SDN community,
I'm looking for some advice as a non-trad pre-med. To provide some info about myself, I graduated in 2017 with a 2.8 uGPA, low-income family, and a first generation college student. I have 5+ years of working at a medical practice (over 10k hours of clinical experience) which is probably my greatest strength right now.
1. Postbacc courses - Would it be better to take pre-reqs at a CC or at a local uni/formal postbacc? I already started taking a few at a local CC with Gen Chem I & II: A's, O Chem: B, Soc: A, there is a WD for one course.
2. Masters - Should I do postbacc at a local CC and then apply to a master’s instead?
3. Are my chances of getting in reduced if I re-apply to the same school after a masters?
4. Any other general advice?
Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the response!
I graduated with a Behavioral Health degree and wanted to go into healthcare, I just didn’t know exactly what profession back then. All around I struggled a lot in college since I was working all 4 years and failed to prioritize school. I took Gen Bio I C, Gen Chem I C, Gen Chem II B-, Microbio B- (lab B), Anatomy B, Physio B- (lab C), and Genetics A-.

I should clarify, I would be planning on applying to a SMP once I finish all the prereqs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You do not need to retake those courses. Since you took a limited number of science classes, you should have many upper division options at a local 4 yr university after you are done with the remaining pre-reqs. Doing 30+ credits there would be likely more manageable than spending more for an SMP.
 
Got it, thank you! I'm currently drafting a course plan for this next year and I have a few more q's. I was looking to start with Gen Bio II but, do you recommend taking courses in a specific order?
Additionally, do you recommend Calc? And/or prereq courses to help excel in Physics? (like a separate intro course to make better use of my time in the case that I can't secure a spot w certain classes)
 
You do not need calculus, but statistics is often a good course to take for math and some schools require it. Take algebra-based physics. It is up to you to decide how well your math skills are and whether you need pre-calculus or trigonometry to refresh yourself beforehand.