Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

USF vs. Miami

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shadow, May 1, 2004.

1. shadow

shadow Member
    7+ Year Member

Is anyone still trying to decide between USF and Miami, or have you made your decision between the two? I am still trying to decide, and May 15 will be here soon!

One thing that I have found a bit concerning about Miami is the lack of communication from the school. Other than a couple of e-mails about my acceptance and choosing a campus, I haven't heard much from them. On the other hand, USF called to tell me I was accepted, sent a couple of packets of forms to fill out, financial info, deadlines, prematric stuff and an invitation for the white coat ceremony in August. And USF returns e-mails and calls almost immediately, whereas Miami seems to take a while. I wonder if this is representative of the whole four years?

I am still trying to figure out which school is best for me. I am leaning towards Tampa, mainly because it is cheaper, closer to friends and family and I get the feeling that the faculty/staff are more responsive to students there. But I find the diversity and bustle of Jackson alluring...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mr.Tweed

Mr.Tweed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think that you should let your experiences with the admissions office affect your decision. You probably won't interact with them at all once you start school. Besides, wasn't the lunch that they served on interview day great?

4. mikedc813

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I second that. The admissions departments don't do anything after you get in. So forget them in your decision. Go where you think you feel more comfortable and where you would like to live. I would personally take Miami over Tampa any day. :thumbup:

5. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

Tampa no contest. Unless you're hispanic or gay.

6. drlexygoat

drlexygoat Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had to make this decision a few weeks ago. I was really torn between Miami and USF but USF won out.

A few reasons why....
    1) COST. 51k/yr at Miami vs 30-ish/yr at USF. I find it VERY hard to justify the 20,000 per year difference, to be honest. The schools have so much in common. It basically came down to asking myself if I thought that going to a top50 school was worth an additional 80k over the next 4 years or not.

2) Tampa Bay is awesome. I grew up in the area. Nice suburbs, great city, good nightlife. Granted, Miami has this too, but lacks some affordable housing in my opinion. Tampa has a lot of options out there for you.

3) The hospitals. Note I said the plural form of hospital. Jackson is amazing, no one is denying that. However, what happens if you don't like Jackson or you want to rotate through a smaller hospital? I really liked the idea of USF offering so many places for rotations... Moffit Cancer Ctr, Shriners (with an amazing burn unit), Tampa General, the Veteran's hospital, All children's... etc. The list goes on.

In a nutshell, these are the three biggest factors for me. I mostly went off of gut feeling, to be honest. I'd recommend taking another look at both schools and see how you feel.

Best of luck to you wherever you go!

7. SonGoku

SonGoku Cubbies fan
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    drlexygoat,
    Have you gotten your financial aid award letter from both schools? I got mine from USF last week, and the cost of attendance was shockingly smaller than I had anticipated because of a scholarship USF included in my package. My brother pays 10K more right now just for his undergrad. I was wondering how Miami would compare in terms of offering scholarships.

8. mikedc813

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had no idea that scholarships were awarded. I'm assuming only a small percentage gets them, but can anyone tell me more? I'm probably going to get pulled off the waitlist according to Mr Larkin, but I don't think I'm eligible for any scholarship seeing how I was on the waitlist and not one of the more desirable candidates...

thanks..mike

9. SonGoku

SonGoku Cubbies fan
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    mike,
    I really don't know how USF awards scholarships, but I am assuming that it is need-based. My EFC was 0.

10. drlexygoat

drlexygoat Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's great news for you, SonGoku!!!

No word from USF or Miami in terms of aid. I don't think I'll qualify for any need-based aid, however, because I have apretty high EFC. I'll keep you all posted, however. A scholarship from USF would certainly help out. However, a scholarship from Miami would barely make a dent in that 51k/year cost of attendance I'm sad to say.

Best of luck to everyone

11. shadow

shadow Member
    7+ Year Member

I also have not heard back from USF or Miami regarding financial aid. Could someone explain how you know what your EFC is? (I am assuming it is estimated family contribution.) I put my parents' financial info on FAFSA; however, I will not be receiving any money from my family for school or living expenses. I'm not sure whether financial aid is based on what your family could theoretically contribute or what they actually will contribute...
    Thanks.

12. CANES2006

CANES2006 Miami chica
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I guess you aren't aware that you do get the opportunity to rotate in different hospitals besides Jackson (you'll see everything here). You can do rotations in the Veteran's Hospital, Mount Sinai, Baptist, Miami Children's, Cedar's, hospitals down in Key West, etc. Clinical exposure at Miami is amazing and few schools can match it in that regard.

13. mlw03

mlw03 Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had a friend making this decision, and it came down to this: he liked UM and Jackson, as well as living in Miami. The question was whether it's worth $200K+ in debt, versus about $120K. I really think it's that simple when you consider ANY private or out-of-state school to your state school.