Using a lecturer for non-science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coasterfan12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on using a LOR from someone who taught me in a writing class to fulfill the non-science LOR requirement that some med schools have. I do have a close relationship with him and know he will have good things to say about me. However, I know some med schools state on their websites that they want a professor to write the LOR, and his title at the university is a lecturer and not professor. He does have about 20 years of teaching experience and has a masters degree. Would this still fulfill the requirement of the non-science LOR, and how much would med schools care since he is a lecturer and not a professor?

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding the LOR is entirely for an analysis of the student's performance from the perspective of their teachers. It shouldn't really matter that they're a "Lecturer" as opposed to an "Assistant Professor" or whatnots. Personally, I believe that you would be fine (I am not ADCOM).

I would guess that the specification of Professor is probably so that you don't ask your TAs to write a LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that in this context "professor" means one who teaches at the university level. Lecturer, instructor, assistant professor, etc would be acceptable. Someone on the faculty who can speak to your ability to communicate clearly in writing sounds like an excellent choice.

Reactions: 2 users