Using "Additional Information" Secondary to Discuss Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pBar

MSTP c/o 2028
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm and MD/PhD applicant going through and pre-writing my secondaries, and I just wanted some feedback for the "additional information" prompt.

This spring, I will be leaving on February 22nd to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine. I will be hiking the 2,200 miles, in under 120 days, to raise money for the National Hospice Foundation and the American Alzheimer's Association, two organizations I have deeply connected passions with. I have hiked/backpacked for most of my life, having completed the Florida National Scenic Trail, completing the Appalachian Trail is something that's been on my bucket list for years.

I haven't mentioned this anywhere else in my application and was wondering if this would be a good place to include information related to this. In part, to offer an explanation as to why I might not be able to immediately communicate from the end of February through June.

Members don't see this ad.

@gonnif

Important point. But I would also add that many people who thru-hike DO have access to internet, it’s just intermittent. OP will likely be able to charge their phone with a portable solar charger and can possibly do more thorough stuff in town for re-rations.

OP: do you have a solid plan for this? You’ll want to be able to manage waitlist stuff, draft and submit letters of intent/interest, select CTE/PTE, and honestly do other random ish as it comes up. What do you think about that? You might want to check if there are public libraries in any of the towns on your route lol

Also, want to agree that this is super cool.

@gonnif

Important point. But I would also add that many people who thru-hike DO have access to internet, it’s just intermittent. OP will likely be able to charge their phone with a portable solar charger and can possibly do more thorough stuff in town for re-rations.

OP: do you have a solid plan for this? You’ll want to be able to manage waitlist stuff, draft and submit letters of intent/interest, select CTE/PTE, and honestly do other random ish as it comes up. What do you think about that? You might want to check if there are public libraries in any of the towns on your route lol

Also, want to agree that this is super cool.

I've taken a lot of these concerns into consideration in my planning and I am not too concerned about internet access. I have been planning the logistics of my hike since the start of this year and will continue doing so through the end of the year.

I'll have my phone and a portable charger throughout my trek and while intermittent, internet access is typically available enough for access once every day or two. During my first month in the south (Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee), and my final month through New England (Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine), cell service will be spotty, however through the bulk of my hike (Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts) I shouldn't have to worry about cell signal. As well, I'll be stopping in town ever 4-6 days for resupply. If at any time I need to access anything related to my applications, I'll be able to do so from the trail, or at hostels in towns along the way. I will also be leaving all my account login information and emails with a couple of family members to serve as my proxies. With detailed instructions if something important comes up and I can not directly access.

Of course this planning will be fluid, as I will have a better idea of what I might have to juggle by the beginning of February and most interviews are over. I should at that time have an idea of what schools I might be waiting on decisions from, or have (hopefully) already received acceptances from. The start date of my hike may be delayed a couple weeks if need be.