using an ampersand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sloken

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone using ampersand's in their personal statements to cut down on characters?

Members don't see this ad.

is anyone using ampersand's in their personal statements to cut down on characters?
Technically, they're not normally considered appropriate for formal writing. That said, it's not a big deal, and I commonly use them in my own writing for any of a number of different reasons.

If, however, you're running that short on space, conjunction-shaving may not be the best solution. If you can find the space by tightening the essay elsewhere (4500 characters is a *lot* of attention to ask from someone who's reading 150 essays that day), you solve two problems at once.

Also, I doubt it would be a problem with AADSAS (or they would mention it), but if there is any encoding anywhere in the application process (at AADSAS, or on a school sever), an ampersand can sometimes mess it up. Best not to risk it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its interesting that i have seen so many threads on this subject (trying to find ways to sneak a few extra words into their personal statement). Everyone remember, this is supposed to be a professionally written piece of literature. As such, it should contain all of the the traditional spaces, paragraphs, punctuation, etc! :p. Furthermore, everyone should be thinking quality, not quantity. What you write should be succinct and to the point. Don't try and stretch something that could be said in 1 sentence into 3. If you just can't seem to manage getting everything in on one page, try narrowing your focus or working with someone to proof each draft.

Corollary: You should be going over each successive draft with somebody anyway. It will make your life MUUUCCCCHHHH easier, and your paper MUUUCCCHHH better! It took me like 15-20 drafts before I had my decided on my final copy.

I know I wrote a bit more than this thread was about, but it was the most stressful part of my application. I hope this helps a bit. :thumbup:

Its interesting that i have seen so many threads on this subject (trying to find ways to sneak a few extra words into their personal statement)..... Furthermore, everyone should be thinking quality, not quantity.

I agree, there has been a lot of these threads. One about no spaces after periods, now replacing the word "and" with a symbol. Please.... Maybe everyone should use all those abbreviations in the texting commercials on tv these days.

Just remember there is a limit for a reason. Say what you need to say within this limit and don't cut corners.

I took the advice of all my editors, as well as you guys, and axed the &'s and made the length more succinct. However, a particular story in my essay involves a lot of numbers, and I elected to use numerals the majority of them.