Using ExamKracker Lecture Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rohitkedia07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just recently bought the lecture books for examkrackers.
For those that have used them, what is the best way to use these books.

Should I read the lectures more than once?

Your input would be very kind

thanks,
rohit

Members don't see this ad.

rohitkedia07 said:
Hello everyone,

I just recently bought the lecture books for examkrackers.
For those that have used them, what is the best way to use these books.

Should I read the lectures more than once?

Your input would be very kind

thanks,
rohit

Here's a link to the Home Study schedule to use with the books that you can frame your studying around.

http://home.comcast.net/~greet/Examkrackers_Home_Study_Schedule.htm

As you see on that, it has you "pre-read" the lectures for the week before you actually read it. That means that you just sit down and read it like a novel (though a not too interesting one) to get to idea and not focus on details without highlighter and pen and DON'T do the lecture questions during this time (just skip those pages). On a different day, you do the actual reading for detail with a highlighter and pen, taking notes, and do the lecture questions as you read. I personally read the lectures all a third time straight through (much like the pre-reading), but paying more attention to what I highlighted in the sections after I have completed the whole week of material.

My advice is to take small, high-quality bites. That means, take it one chapter at a time until you master each one. EK has made this easy, since their chapters tend to be pretty small.

1)Read once, without taking notes or writing on notecards. Read just to read.
2)Read again, focusing on topics you're less familiar with.
3)Make a list of topics you're solid on, topics you're less solid on, and topics you have no clue about. Then write every topic on a separate notecard. Put the topic groups on differently-colored notecards, and put the "solid" cards away. Starting with the "less solid" cards, re-read the topics, and make some notes, then go on to the "have no idea" cards. One by one, you'll be able to move cards from one pile to another until eventually you have all of them under "solid". Then you're ready to take the end-of-chapter quiz and test. After quizzing yourself, take back out the cards of topics you've missed questions on, and hammer out the details.

Continue with every chapter and you'll SLAY the MCAT. I didn't exactly slay it, but I did well enough. Good luck. I also recommend AUDIO OSMOSIS.

myself
1)I read the book cover to cover three times.
a)First time is a fast read to familiarize myself with the book and see which parts were long/difficult reads and topics that may need additional resources.
b)2nd time is reading each chapter slowly and not continuing until you have a good grasp of the material (don't get bogged down. set a schedule)
c)3rd time fast read but taking time on difficult chapters.
2)doing end of topic questions each time
3)took notes on all Ochem (used ochem flashcards)
4)made flash cards for a few bio topics like hormones
5)did 30 minute tests
6) SLOWLY reread all chapters(maybe 2 times) that I scored 10 or less on and used supplemental material such as text and internet.
7)look at AAMC topic list and highlight any topics you did not cover or feel weak on. There are a few topics that I could not find any info on via internet search or on SDN. Those topics I figured would not be on the MCAT and if so the passage would explain it.
8)made note cards on 2 chapters in physics and 2 chapters in chemistry I felt very weak in
9)memorized and understood every chart/graph in the EK series.

know what works well for you and do it. I hate taking notes so I only did that with orgo because the book was small and I thought it would be my weakest subject. Some people have to highlight when reading I don't.