This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlroper

Reaction score
Hello all, I was hoping for some advice. I’m applying for my first cycle this year for veterinary schools and have been struggling with my “experiences” section. I’ve always wanted to be a vet, but in high school I was very into music performance and was in every ensemble group you can imagine. I have tons of awards from music competitions and continued into college, minoring in music performance. I have been putting down all of my music awards and extracurricular groups and whatnot, but I’m worried it may drown out the rest of my application.
I have plenty of vet hours and have had many different animal experiences, but I guess I’m just worried that admissions will look at my application and ask why I didn’t go into music instead. I’ve had some people say that med/vet/dental schools like to see students that did music, but I’m wondering if anyone has specifically had success getting into vet school with also a lot of music experience?

I may be very much overthinking it, but my science GPA is less than ideal whereas I’ve gotten an A in every music class I’ve taken. I am passionate about music, but have never wanted it to be my career. I’ve always wanted to be a veterinarian and I’m determined to do so. I just don’t want admissions to get the wrong idea. Any input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure how helpful this is, but my vet mentor was a music major in undergrad and had no problem getting accepted ~10 years ago :) If anything, I would think that having interests and a life outside of vetmed would be a positive thing!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am passionate about music, but have never wanted it to be my career. I’ve always wanted to be a veterinarian and I’m determined to do so.
It’s good to have interests outside vet med. Admissions committees aren’t going to think less of you for your interest in music. They just want you to meet their standards for admission, and be able to articulate why you want to be a veterinarian.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all, I was hoping for some advice. I’m applying for my first cycle this year for veterinary schools and have been struggling with my “experiences” section. I’ve always wanted to be a vet, but in high school I was very into music performance and was in every ensemble group you can imagine. I have tons of awards from music competitions and continued into college, minoring in music performance. I have been putting down all of my music awards and extracurricular groups and whatnot, but I’m worried it may drown out the rest of my application.
I have plenty of vet hours and have had many different animal experiences, but I guess I’m just worried that admissions will look at my application and ask why I didn’t go into music instead. I’ve had some people say that med/vet/dental schools like to see students that did music, but I’m wondering if anyone has specifically had success getting into vet school with also a lot of music experience?

I may be very much overthinking it, but my science GPA is less than ideal whereas I’ve gotten an A in every music class I’ve taken. I am passionate about music, but have never wanted it to be my career. I’ve always wanted to be a veterinarian and I’m determined to do so. I just don’t want admissions to get the wrong idea. Any input is much appreciated!
Hi there! When I was in high school I was very heavily involved in music/dance/theater and included these things on my applications! I wouldn't worry about it drowning out the rest of your application, it will show that you're well-rounded in experiences. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I think these types of experiences make someone a well rounded interesting candidate. However, I personally would also make sure that my vet experience appears as substantial as possible. I’m not saying not to include the music achievements, but if your app has three lines of vet stuff and twenty of music someone might question whether vet med or music is your goal. But I f you do a good job on your personal statement people probably won’t question it at all. Still, I would want to make sure there was no question which was my priority. You’re applying for vet school, so feature the vet stuff and let the other experiences be a smaller though still significant portion. Maybe lump similar experiences together where possible if it feels music heavy. You can definitely feature the cool music things you’ve done while simultaneously making sure your vet stuff is prominent. I mean people target resumes for the job you’re applying for and I don’t see this as anything different. If you have a ton of vet experiences, then I think that stands up just fine to a huge list of non-vet experiences. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Remember that you’re applying to professional school, so while I think it’s fine to put in your music interests, I wouldn’t make a big deal of too many things from high school unless you performed as a soloist at Carnegie hall or something like that. Mention your involvement and how that continued through college, but I wouldn’t list every single music award from high school.

Reactions: 2 users
I think these types of experiences make someone a well rounded interesting candidate. However, I personally would also make sure that my vet experience appears as substantial as possible. I’m not saying not to include the music achievements, but if your app has three lines of vet stuff and twenty of music someone might question whether vet med or music is your goal. But I f you do a good job on your personal statement people probably won’t question it at all. Still, I would want to make sure there was no question which was my priority. You’re applying for vet school, so feature the vet stuff and let the other experiences be a smaller though still significant portion. Maybe lump similar experiences together where possible if it feels music heavy. You can definitely feature the cool music things you’ve done while simultaneously making sure your vet stuff is prominent. I mean people target resumes for the job you’re applying for and I don’t see this as anything different. If you have a ton of vet experiences, then I think that stands up just fine to a huge list of non-vet experiences. Just my opinion.
That makes perfect sense. I really like the idea of lumping together musical experiences, as applicable. Thank you for the advice!!

I think these types of experiences make someone a well rounded interesting candidate. However, I personally would also make sure that my vet experience appears as substantial as possible. I’m not saying not to include the music achievements, but if your app has three lines of vet stuff and twenty of music someone might question whether vet med or music is your goal. But I f you do a good job on your personal statement people probably won’t question it at all. Still, I would want to make sure there was no question which was my priority. You’re applying for vet school, so feature the vet stuff and let the other experiences be a smaller though still significant portion. Maybe lump similar experiences together where possible if it feels music heavy. You can definitely feature the cool music things you’ve done while simultaneously making sure your vet stuff is prominent. I mean people target resumes for the job you’re applying for and I don’t see this as anything different. If you have a ton of vet experiences, then I think that stands up just fine to a huge list of non-vet experiences. Just
Remember that you’re applying to professional school, so while I think it’s fine to put in your music interests, I wouldn’t make a big deal of too many things from high school unless you performed as a soloist at Carnegie hall or something like that. Mention your involvement and how that continued through college, but I wouldn’t list every single music award from high school.
Hi there! When I was in high school I was very heavily involved in music/dance/theater and included these things on my applications! I wouldn't worry about it drowning out the rest of your application, it will show that you're well-rounded in experiences. Best of luck!
Thank you!!

That makes perfect sense. I really like the idea of lumping together musical experiences, as applicable. Thank you for the advice!!
No problem! I mean to me saying “performed in 27 concerts, 16 small ensembles, and 8 solos” on one or two lines is just as meaningful to your vet application than you listing out every single one on its own line.