using names in personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find anything recent about this on SDN.

Would it be OK if I used the names of patients/students that I worked with? or should I say student X or use initials

And for physicians I shadowed, should I write their actual name or say Doctor X (something like that)

And yeah,
I know I'm mad behind on my PS lol

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly can't think of a good scenario in which you would need to use real names in a personal statement. If you want to address other people, I'd stick with 'one of my peers' or 'the physician I shadowed' or 'a patient of mine' <-- last one's controversial (since you're not a doc yet ;)) but i'm sure you got the point. The personal statement is too focused on YOU that it shouldn't require other peoples real names.

I agree with the above poster. And the use of a patients name would likely violate HIPAA. Even if they gave you permission, you could not provide proof in the PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly can't think of a good scenario in which you would need to use real names in a personal statement. If you want to address other people, I'd stick with 'one of my peers' or 'the physician I shadowed' or 'a patient of mine' <-- last one's controversial (since you're not a doc yet ;)) but i'm sure you got the point. The personal statement is too focused on YOU that it shouldn't require other peoples real names.

I can think of at least one good reason not use these three:

'one of my peers' or 'the physician I shadowed' or 'a patient of mine'

Character limit!! :rolleyes:

I started out my personal statement with an anecdote about observing a patient being treated. I used the shortest fake patient name I could think of (You must use a fake name for a patient for privacy). I also used a doctor's name during my anecdote, but again that was because of the character limit. I was also getting a letter from this doctor and I knew he would like seeing his name in my PS, which could only help in writing me a stronger letter.

I would definitely not go overboard on name dropping in your PS. Do not go out of your way to use names unless it is necessary in making your story flow better.

Just my two sense. I could have been wrong in my approach.

Reactions: 1 user
I used a made-up name for someone I mentioned. Don't use real names, if it doesn't violate HIPAA in the context you do it, it will only be looked upon poorly.

I mentioned the name of one of the physicians I had been shadowing for years and who also wrote one of my LORs. I thought it showed more clarity to mention their name in the PS and then have a LOR from them in the application. Adcoms could see the long standing relationship between the two of us and how the writer's judgment of my character was accurate. That seemed to be just fine.

Couldn't find anything recent about this on SDN.

Would it be OK if I used the names of patients/students that I worked with? or should I say student X or use initials

And for physicians I shadowed, should I write their actual name or say Doctor X (something like that)

And yeah,
I know I'm mad behind on my PS lol
In my previous drafts for a statement I used certain names in my statement and took it to an advisor. She told me to not use names because the people reading your statement won't know these people, so why add them? I would advise against using names

Your personal statement should be about YOU. I find with PS's that I read when the writer is trying to include some anecdote it just becomes a rehash of the CV. Be careful of that.

Reactions: 1 user
I mentioned the name of one of the physicians I had been shadowing for years and who also wrote one of my LORs. I thought it showed more clarity to mention their name in the PS and then have a LOR from them in the application. Adcoms could see the long standing relationship between the two of us and how the writer's judgment of my character was accurate. That seemed to be just fine.

I did exactly the same thing.

Your personal statement should be about YOU. I find with PS's that I read when the writer is trying to include some anecdote it just becomes a rehash of the CV. Be careful of that.

This seems a bit strange to me. I would think that using an anecdote would help prevent a PS from reading like a CV? An anecdote should be a short personalized story about a singular event (like observing care of a particular patient or a specific impactful instance during volunteering). This is something that is not captured in a CV.

I did exactly the same thing.

This seems a bit strange to me. I would think that using an anecdote would help prevent a PS from reading like a CV? An anecdote should be a short personalized story about a singular event (like observing care of a particular patient or a specific impactful instance during volunteering). This is something that is not captured in a CV.

Well, I've read my share of personal statements many of which were just a cut/paste job off the CV with a few names dropped. I didn't just make that up.

I used a couple anecdotes in my PS, but left all names out, even of the physician I shadowed. They could put two and two together if they wanted to, but I just didn't feel that names were consequential to the stories being told. Always err on the side of anonymity, it's a very good practice to have in medicine.

Well, I've read my share of personal statements many of which were just a cut/paste job off the CV with a few names dropped. I didn't just make that up.

I am not disputing whether some personal statements are glorified CV's. I just do not follow how including an anecdote contributes to this. I would think adding a short personal story would help ensure a PS does not read like a CV.

I am not disputing whether some personal statements are glorified CV's. I just do not follow how including an anecdote contributes to this. I would think adding a short personal story would help ensure a PS does not read like a CV.
Not saying it does, oh never mind............ Write your story.

I'm on the side where it depends on the flow of the essay. I'm not sure what kind of essay you have, but mine wasn't very formal so I had no problem throwing a first name in there. In all honesty, I can't remember if I did because my essay was focused on me and no one else.