Using other degrees, besides MD, after name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

need_some_coffee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning! What is the standard practice for physicians listing their other graduate degrees (other than MD or DO) after their names? I have an MBA and MS from a prior career. I did not have those added to my white coat or name tag, because they seem irrelevant. But, I was recently asked if I wanted other degrees listed on a program for an award I’m receiving and I’ve noticed other docs using other degrees behind their names. What do you all think? What have you seen done?

Members don't see this ad.

No one lists their BS or BA.

Lots of people list other advanced degrees like MS and MBA.

It's totally your choice. Most in academics list them (even on white coats).

Reactions: 1 user
I always thought it’s a sad look. The only thing people need to know is your medical degree. Whether you have a Masters or PhD in origami is pretty irrelevant. I tend to judge you.

Reactions: 5 users
No one lists their BS or BA.

Lots of people list other advanced degrees like MS and MBA.

It's totally your choice. Most in academics list them (even on white coats).
As usual, I agree with @NotAProgDirector . In academia it's probably worth listing, especially if it's something that is relevant to your career (ie MS if you are doing research, M.Ed. if you're connected in any way to medical education, MBA if you're involved in hospital finances... obviously PhD pretty much in any setting). In some settings you may get a salary bump if you hold additional degrees. But it's entirely up to you.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with NotAPD and GoSpursGO. I'd say on a program for an academic meeting, go ahead and list it. It could even lead to networking opportunities.

It can get ridiculous though when people start to list everything, including their professional affiliations.

For our national academy, I'm listed as MD PhD MPH FAAD. Since I'm in academics I leave it, but every time I see it I think it looks sorta redic tbh lol.

I think my white coat has MD PhD on it. It might only have MD. I don't remember since I wear it maybe once or twice a year at best.

Reactions: 1 user
I always thought it’s a sad look. The only thing people need to know is your medical degree. Whether you have a Masters or PhD in origami is pretty irrelevant. I tend to judge you.

I like using the 'PhD'. Not in origami but rather in physical chemistry with an emphasis in computational science. It makes for a nice conversation piece, and it demonstrates that I know how to reason things out (not just some dumb 'bot' that memorizes and regurgitates things for tests).

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I like using the 'PhD'. Not in origami but rather in physical chemistry with an emphasis in computational science. It makes for a nice conversation piece, and it demonstrates that I know how to reason things out (not just some dumb 'bot' that memorizes and regurgitates things for tests).
I don't have a PhD, but I fully support putting that on a lab coat even if not related to medicine. I bet someone with a PhD in origami can make some sick cranes.

Anything other degree though: pass.

Reactions: 7 users
Yes I would use them.
I’m confused by some of the responses saying those degrees aren’t relevant. This totally depends on the job. I don’t have a MPH, but it is a degree that’s relavent to my job and the work that I do in general so I would absolutely list it as my credentials at work if I had that degree.

If someone has a PhD I certainly am going to assume they have some bench science research and know how to read and interpret data which could absolutely be relavent to a job.

Same goes with a MBA, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Let me clarify:

on your letterhead, sure, as makes sense (not BS/BA)

on your lab coat, cringe a bit

on your Patagonia fleece, gtfo

Reactions: 3 users
I think it looks lame other than MD/PhD but honestly this is pretty damn low into “who cares” territory.

I would definitely list any advanced degrees in the field of origami (origami-focused MBA, for example).

Too many and someone will think you’re a nurse.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I debated getting a white coat with all the crap I can list after my name just to wear when nurse administrators are around. As a DO I can get sooooooo much nonsense after my name. FACEP, FACOEP FACP FACOI FAAEM etc etc etc. Gotta list acls atls pals and all that stuff too. Ridiccccccuullouusss

I debated getting a white coat with all the crap I can list after my name just to wear when nurse administrators are around. As a DO I can get sooooooo much nonsense after my name. FACEP, FACOEP FACP FACOI FAAEM etc etc etc. Gotta list acls atls pals and all that stuff too. Ridiccccccuullouusss
You forgot the most important one.. BLS

It depends. If your name is Steven, and people ask “Is that Stephen with a ‘ph’?” You can say, “No, that’s Steven with a PhD!”

Reactions: 2 users
Good morning! What is the standard practice for physicians listing their other graduate degrees (other than MD or DO) after their names? I have an MBA and MS from a prior career. I did not have those added to my white coat or name tag, because they seem irrelevant. But, I was recently asked if I wanted other degrees listed on a program for an award I’m receiving and I’ve noticed other docs using other degrees behind their names. What do you all think? What have you seen done?
At least you asked before blindly putting a string of no one cares on your name tag

For nametags, white coats, etc... just the MD +/- PhD if you have one. I will add my Master's to my email signature once I get it, and anticipate it being listed in any programs I do going forward.

I have not listed things like FAAP on my signature because that feels stupid--I get the letters solely because I paid to be a member of the organization and am board certified.

Looks lame (unless MD PhD IMO)... I’m a PharmD MD, but no one knows cause I only use the MD (partly because I don’t want peeps asking me esoteric pharm questions)