Using Secondary/Supplemental Letter to Correct AMCAS mistakes (childhood info)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

figtart

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oof, honestly, yeah, that stuff feels important.

Will you write about being first-gen in your essays? If so, that's a way you could get it in your application without saying "Uh, oops, also, I forgot to put this in my primary application." I feel like your SES disadvantaged status is essentially the same as Pell-Grant received, so I don't think that's a huge deal.

Another thing that you could do is contact admissions and let them know about the mistake and have them update your primary application that way. I'm not sure if that's possible but I think that would actually probably be a good move and a way to not waste space on your secondaries. EDIT: You might have to call each school and ask them how they want you to update that information. Like, does school X want a letter but school Y can just update it then and there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Was your parents' highest education acquired abroad? This matters for EO status.
Long story short, I found out my parents may have never gotten a bachelor's degree in the US despite attending a US college. They do however have a college degree from abroad before coming to the US.

Did I designate their education correctly? Would a college degree abroad equate to a college degree in the states (bachelors) for the purposes of AMCAS?

Long story short, I found out my parents may have never gotten a bachelor's degree in the US despite attending a US college. They do however have a college degree from abroad before coming to the US.

Did I designate their education correctly? Would a college degree abroad equate to a college degree in the states (bachelors) for the purposes of AMCAS?

Yes their education is correct. It doesn't matter what country the degree was received in.

Yes their education is correct. It doesn't matter what country the degree was received in.
Not exactly correct. If the highest education acheived was done abroad, the AAMC will not make a EO (Education/Occupation) designation. The classification doesn't really matter for the individual applicant but misclassification would contribute to inaccuracy of the AAMC's data.

Could you please clarify what this means? Under "print app" view in AMCAS, parent highest degree + school name + occupation are on there, regardless of it being achieved abroad

Correct. It shows up on the application. AAMC will add a EO designation (EO-1, EO-2, etc) based on your parents' education and occupation, if your parents were educated in the States. " *AMCAS does not determine international equivalencies for education or occupation information."
See:
Appendix 1 Socioeconomic Status (SES) Disadvantaged Indicator on page 70 of the 2021 AMCAS Applicant Guide.

Reactions: 1 user