USMLE images

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuhal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
68 yo male patient presents to your clinic with postprandial pain. X-ray below, whats the dx?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,063
wayyyyyyyy off :laugh: That's crazy though. Good one!

crazy, eh...always used to seeing in in x-ray point of view...here's my lunch time contributions

dx
looking for the complication, of this dx
bonus points if you can give me the disease it's found in

pgFb0nw.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
7 days old dyspnea/ hypoplastic lungs due to diaphgramatic hernia.

patent1.jpg

1) What could have caused this?
2) What's the SaO2 in this pt (i.e. increased/decreased?)

patent1.jpg

1. paraesophageal hernia
2. SaO2 = saturation of rbcs with hemoglobin, right? other lung is still working fine and being able to oxygenate the rbcs...so shouldn't it be normal?

crazy, eh...always used to seeing in in x-ray point of view...here's my lunch time contributions

dx
looking for the complication, of this dx
bonus points if you can give me the disease it's found in

pgFb0nw.jpg

Toxic Megacolon

Complications could be perforation (leading to peritonitis), sepsis, dehydration from chronic diarrhea.
Related to C. Diff colitis with pseudomembranes.

Also, I once had a patient with C. Diff Ileitits (which I didn't even know was possible).

Toxic Megacolon

Complications could be perforation (leading to peritonitis), sepsis, dehydration from chronic diarrhea.
Related to C. Diff colitis with pseudomembranes.

Also, I once had a patient with C. Diff Ileitits (which I didn't even know was possible).

:thumbup:

didnt know CDif could cause this, but that's cool. was looking for inflammatory bowel disease...specifically, ulcerative...:oops:

patent1.jpg

1) Defective development of the pleuroperitoneal membrane (which becomes the diaphragm)
2) I gotta think the SaO2 is decreased.

:thumbup:

didnt know CDif could cause this, but that's cool. was looking for inflammatory bowel disease...specifically, ulcerative...:oops:

Yeah CUC is probably more common, but Pseudomembranous Colitis is definitely a cause, and Toxic Megacolon is one of the more serious complications.

Hashimoto's - looks like appearance of a germinal center...& possible scalloping on the right side

Hashimoto's - looks like appearance of a germinal center...& possible scalloping on the right side

Figured its about time for me to join in on this fun instead of just lurking.

It does look like a germinal center, but I don't think that's scalloping. That would be with Grave's disease anyway, no scalloping in Hashimoto's I believe?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks!

this actually helps me understand wikipedias description

" retrograde (reversed) flow of blood in the vertebral artery or the internal thoracic artery, due to a proximal stenosis (narrowing) and/or occlusion of the subclavian artery. The arm may be supplied by blood flowing in a retrograde direction down the vertebral artery at the expense of the vertebrobasilar circulation. This is called the subclavian steal."

I assume you picked up on this since you say you understand it, but I typoed and said carotid when I meant subclavian for what's blocked

Figured its about time for me to join in on this fun instead of just lurking.

It does look like a germinal center, but I don't think that's scalloping. That would be with Grave's disease anyway, no scalloping in Hashimoto's I believe?

Yeah I don't know what scalloping is. The point was the germinal center. :)

Does that look like a granuloma to anyone? I was thinking granulomatous thyroiditis.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too haha.

point to it...because i don't see it...would be helpful to the others...if not

here's my question:

what cell is responsible for the changes seen in the lung...

hint: not looking for what the picture below is...

ug_resources_asbestos_2.jpg

here's my question:

macrophage

here's my question:

Fibroblasts, which are stimulated by the macrophages which ingest the asbestos fibers.

Causes interstitial pulmonary fibrosis, and there's a risk of mesothelioma and other lung CA as well.

macrophage

Fibroblasts, which are stimulated by the macrophages which ingest the asbestos fibers.

Causes interstitial pulmonary fibrosis, and there's a risk of mesothelioma and other lung CA as well.

nice fellas...

i think theres a typo in pathoma...he talks about T2Pneumocytes are responsible for causing fibrosis...

btw, who here knows their skin pathology really really well...to the point they're banking on getting skin questions because they feel confident they'll get it right...

nice fellas...

i think theres a typo in pathoma...he talks about T2Pneumocytes are responsible for causing fibrosis...

btw, who here knows their skin pathology really really well...to the point they're banking on getting skin questions because they feel confident they'll get it right...

I know melenoma, bcc, scc, psoriasis, and urticaria...what else is there to know?? :cool:

I know melenoma, bcc, scc, psoriasis, and urticaria...what else is there to know?? :cool:

yeah i guess at our level that's about it...and the blisters...was hoping somebody here has a good thorough skin knowledge...wanted to ask a personal question actually

I don't know what in particular lol it's just that the supposed follicle looked like a granuloma. It even looks like there could be a giant cell in there.

796px-Granuloma_mac.jpg

This is a granuloma. I guess those cells are too blue (i.e. lymphocytes) to be macrophages, and probably nuclei a little smaller. But they definitely do have some resemblance at least on that particular picture.

89-3.jpg

Looked at some other pics. A LOT less lymphocytes in subacute thyroiditis outside of the granulomas. Whereas in hashimoto's there is a follice but filled with lymphocytes all over the place elsewhere too.

yeah i guess at our level that's about it...and the blisters...was hoping somebody here has a good thorough skin knowledge...wanted to ask a personal question actually

well post it... for educational purposes

allright uploading the pics...damn it...all of a sudden the thread has 10 viewers...

- allright late 20s male...no drug abuse, drink rarely because of the studying.
- no family history of skin problems, besides my uncle having a case of psoriasis
- no drugs besides finasteride & minoxidil...sucks but not willing to accept the blade just yet
- have seen a dermatologist, was placed on -rotene class of drugs, and it was effective for a while, but ran out and haven't gone back since; also want to get an opinion from another derm

my right temple...doesn't itch, just more of a cosmetic thing that i hate. i apply neutrogena's t-gel shampoo on it and keto 2% combo every other day, but using the t-gel for sure everyday on the temple. the skin when you feel it - you can feel that it's dented in. it's like the skin over the area has thinned out compared to the rest of the skin on the face.

eRbG3n9.jpg

my right cheek, the wrinkle is the nasolabial fold, and rash adjacent to it. it's most prominent right out of the shower. i was guilty of taking really hot showers, but the past month ive kept it to cooler showers, and no more than 5 minutes in there...also apply the same regiment as i do to my scalp

nFWiZ0J.jpg

ugh the worst, the ears....same as above. apply the shampoo and the keto 2%. for the ears, the keto 2% worked wonders on it. it went away, and now it's come back, and it seems like it's not going away at all. hate it, because when we have guests over, i'm always checking every 20 minutes to see how it looks...the crusting/scaling used to be on the backside of the ear, but now it's more so just right there...the 2nd picture, the crusting is around the tragus, of my right ear. the skin feels like it's fibrosed and sclerotic...kinda like CREST...you know how the skin just really tightens up, that's how it feels and looks

bqX4IkZ.jpg

k71YbxF.jpg

i decided to an experiment and see what would happen if i didn't shower for 2 days...the skin cleared up and was practically clear...tried it for 3 days, and same. im thinking maybe some heavy metal toxicity in the water system. never had this issue while i was away studying at school, but nobody else in my family &/or neighborhood is having this problem

yes, im going to the derm right after my exam...just wanted to see what you guys thought. i have an inkling, from doing some research...but lets see. im hoping this is just a transient thing, from the stress of the exam, lowered immune system, so body is susceptible to whatever this thing maybe...

seborrheic dermatitis? I get something similar around my nose, especially when im stressed out. 2% hydrocortisone clears it right up

cot dam it....i was hoping it wasn't that...fml

lol take my guess with a grain of salt... it just seems similar to what i get. although I mostly get it around my nose. A little hydrocortisone once or twice a week when its really bad clears it up in no time.

lol take my guess with a grain of salt... it just seems similar to what i get. although I mostly get it around my nose. A little hydrocortisone once or twice a week when its really bad clears it up in no time.

yeah...no, i came to the same conclusion and the derm said the same thing too...hopefully it'll go away when the test is done...thanks for the insight...back on topic now :oops: