USMLE images

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuhal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
68 yo male patient presents to your clinic with postprandial pain. X-ray below, whats the dx?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,061
Members don't see this ad :)
harder one:
small+cell.jpg

Taken out of a lung.

what is it?
treatment?

Small blue cells - oat cell carcinoma.
Treatment - chemo, cos it's typically diffuse by diagnosis?

btw... the link you posted has the dx in it.. but didn't notice it until I typed this... (cost I didn't catch it the first time, lo.... decided to check) :p

Something interstitial going on there. is that inflammatory infiltrate?

How about this

2h82utt.jpg

ok, whatever this is too easy... just posting it because my ppd test turned positive :cool:.... not even in 3rd year yet, what the hell?

Members don't see this ad :)
2mn42yq.jpg

the look of the cells on the top is kinda specific to a couple of neoplasms... what is this? what do they call the look of those cells, and what other neoplasm fits the description?

2mn42yq.jpg

the look of the cells on the top is kinda specific to a couple of neoplasms... what is this? what do they call the look of those cells, and what other neoplasm fits the description?

Is it cytoplasmic clearing/halos?

Are those clear cells, with renal cell carcinoma? I think that still falls under the cytoplasmic clearing/halos label though.

Its a seminoma, but oligodendroglioma is the other one that shows the "fried egg" appearance.

I guess clear cell renal cell carcinoma also looks similar

Ok that makes more sense, I couldn't think outside of oligodendroglioma and for the life of me couldn't figure out what neuro cells underneath would have been

Hah. Yeah i didn't even realize that was the aorta at the top. Now that I see it it makes sense, I was just distracted by the unnecessary label. It would have made so much more sense to me if mitral valve wasn't even labeled there. Thanks.

Hah. Yeah i didn't even realize that was the aorta at the top. Now that I see it it makes sense, I was just distracted by the unnecessary label. It would have made so much more sense to me if mitral valve wasn't even labeled there. Thanks.

me too, haha. It took me a minute or two before I realized what the holes the arrows are pointing out.

The mitral valve helped me because I'm never certain whether I'm looking at Pulmonary vs. Aortic valve based on the appearance of the leaflets. But knowing that the Mitral Valve forms the lateral portion of the Left Ventricular Outflow Tract helped me realize where in the heart I really was.

For a minute, I thought the image on the left might be showing something going on in the Left Atrium, because only the mitral valve was labeled. But once I counted 3 leaflets to the left of the mitral, I knew I was looking at the Aorta/Left Ventricular Outflow Tract.

Why did this thread die?

I used this thread as a way to break from monotonous studying....especially in a friendly environment. I actually enjoyed studying for step1 with threads like this (the other good one was the complicated topics thread). Good luck studying!

If you guys are looking for some good vignette style questions for diseases or radiography questions, Figure1 is pretty decent. It's a free smartphone app with real life photos and scans of patients taken by physicians daily that remove any identifying information, then ask you to identify the disease present. If you're on mobile, the link is here: http://download.figure1.com/winter2015?m=110
I've found it pretty useful so far when it comes to seeing classic clinical presentations of diseases.