Usmle = Mccqe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALMD2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who don't yet, the USMLE exams have become equivalent to the MCCQE exams in Canada.

Unfortunately, this only holds true for Ontario.

The following are the links:

http://www.cpso.on.ca/publications/dialogue/0305/repcoun.htm

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Info_physicians/regpol/acgmecred.htm

A.

Members don't see this ad.

ALMD2B said:
For those who don't yet, the USMLE exams have become equivalent to the MCCQE exams in Canada.

Unfortunately, this only holds true for Ontario.

The following are the links:

http://www.cpso.on.ca/publications/dialogue/0305/repcoun.htm

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Info_physicians/regpol/acgmecred.htm

A.

That is excellent.

I know this was a recommendation.. but is this final now. Did they approve it.

I am happy to see that COMLEX are also included in there.

PS. Does this only apply to US trained or is it for IMG as well?

That is good news for Canucks like myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
docbill said:
That is excellent.

I know this was a recommendation.. but is this final now. Did they approve it.

I am happy to see that COMLEX are also included in there.

PS. Does this only apply to US trained or is it for IMG as well?

The website mentions that regardless of which medical school you went to (caribbean, US DO, peruvian, whatever...) as long as your residency is legit (acgme), there should be no problems with coming back to work here...

brendang said:
The website mentions that regardless of which medical school you went to (caribbean, US DO, peruvian, whatever...) as long as your residency is legit (acgme), there should be no problems with coming back to work here...

Does this mean that I can do the USMLE step 1 in the US, apply for residency in Canada and then do the MCCQE step 2 (after getting a spot in Ontario) instead of following through with the USMLE step 2?

What are enhanced specialty-specific assurance programs and how long are they? Are there many in Ontario?

Sounds great. But don't buy that condo in Toronto quite yet. CPSO has a nasty tradition of screwing up any well-meant process imposed upon them by the goverment. They WILL find a backdoor to keep you out of their turf.

I haven't read the links yet but a word creation like 'enhanced specialty-specific assurance programs' makes me worry that this is another ruse (it will turn out that there are something like 3 spots province-wide in these programs and that you need a 25 year contract with a clinic serving a first nation community before you are eligible to apply for the program)

f_w said:
Sounds great. But don't buy that condo in Toronto quite yet. CPSO has a nasty tradition of screwing up any well-meant process imposed upon them by the goverment. They WILL find a backdoor to keep you out of their turf.

I haven't read the links yet but a word creation like 'enhanced specialty-specific assurance programs' makes me worry that this is another ruse (it will turn out that there are something like 3 spots province-wide in these programs and that you need a 25 year contract with a clinic serving a first nation community before you are eligible to apply for the program)

Perhaps you should read the links prior to making comments on what it means. :p

Read the links

Still don't believe that CPSO REALLY intends to license ANYONE with third country medschool and ACGME accredited training

This is most likely another ploy to get the polticians of their backs who are looking for sufficient physician supply for their constituents. By introducing program after program they can pretend to work on the issue without doing anything in reality. In large organizations this type of behaviour is known as 'brownian motion'.

(If you want to know how they work, just ask them how many physicians they have registered through the 'registration by practice assessment pathway' so far.)

Oh, one more thing. They require you to be board certified. In some ABMS specialties, this is not until 2 years after you finish your residency. Only a few allow you to finish your board exams during residency. You WILL need some way to stay in the US legally for that time period until you finish your boards (may it be a fellowship, waiver employment or an H1b job).

So, I stand by my statement: don't buy that condo in Toronto quite yet

f_w said:

Aren't you a European-trained IMG in his residency in the U.S.? How would you know about the inner workings of the CPSO having a "nasty tradition of screwing up any well-meant process" in keeping IMGs out of practice in Canada? Or, is this just more tall tales of stories you've heard from a friend of a friend?

Please provide evidence to back-up these statements. You have a (short) history of lambasting and fearmongering on this forum with no real, credible proof to back-up and defend any of your positions. That makes pretty much everything you post hearsay. Please use this opportunity to prove me wrong.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
lambasting and fearmongering...

I got to figure out a way to use these two words in my daily conversations with idiotic people.

Having just got off the phone with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario about their MCCQE exemptions, I would like to let everyone know that the policy with respect to coming back to Canada to work (regardless of speciality) is not yet finalized... In particular, I asked about what the "Quality Assurance Programs" were. I was informed that these programs have not yet been developed and that over the next few months, we should expect to know more about these. I expressed my concern about the possibility that the College (in Ontario) might create some rediculously low number of these spots such that there really is only a chance that a handful of us can come back to work. It seems as though that the College desired to take a lot of the "Canadian" talent pool, namely Canadian citizens who are doing residency in the US, to come back and work... Although I'm still somewhat apprehensive about this "Dream Come True", I'm confident that a step in the right direction is being worked out... One last thing, the College will ONLY recognize USMLE to MCCQE equivalency if you have taken Step 2 CS in 2004 (will have to redo it here in Canada if pre-2004)... Laters...

Sounds promising. But so did the OIMG RPA and other alphabet soups they came up with in the past. Good luck to you all.

Brendang:
You are in ophtho. Ask some of your prospective seniors on how to get your boards done in the minimal amount of time. The board of ophthalmology requires you to pass the writtens first before they register you for the orals. Registration for the orals is in alternating years only, depending on your zip-code on the day of registration. Now, if you are on the wrong side of the mississipi on the day you register for the writtens, it can happen that you have 18months between writtens and orals. So, if you take your writtens in the spring/summer of the year after you graduate, you might not be board certified until the october of the year after that (>2years after graduation). So even if you do a 1 year fellowship, you might not be BC in time for your smooth return to Ontario.

f_w said:
Mh, out to pick a fight again ?

Is that how you'd characterize my ensuring that people understand you come here predominately to proffer nothing more than your groundless opinions?

And, who's "Mh"? :confused: If you're going to try to insult me by using some sort of "code name" then I, along with everyone else, has to understand what it means. Otherwise, you just come across as a complete dork sitting there at your computer laughing by yourself.

-Skip

f_w said:
Look, I would put you on my ignore list, but somehow I find you mildly amusing (just like used to listen to messages from my other ex-girlfriends on my answering machine).

That's interesting. I find you completely annoying. And, nice parapraxis, by the way... I knew you had some sick sexual interest in me.

f_w said:
You have turned into a nuisance, contaminating every thread you go to with your crusade.

Hmmm. Funny. And, all along the multitude of users reading your bad posts, myself included, thought it was you who was the one "crusading" and contaminating this board with your unsupported anecdotes and uninformed opinions.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
That's interesting. I find you completely annoying. And, nice parapraxis, by the way... I knew you had some sick sexual interest in me.

Hmmm. Funny. And, all along the multitude of users reading your bad posts, myself included, thought it was you who was the one "crusading" and contaminating this board with your unsupported anecdotes and uninformed opinions.

-Skip

You guys take a break.
There is no need to post this and go on and on.

I talked to cpso on friday. The lady told me that I still need to have one year of residency in Ontario (even though I will be a graduate from a US med school) . That makes me sad, I hope they will change that rule too. I want to finish med school and residency in US and then go to canada.
The lady did not seem very informed. Does any one know if she is right or wrong.